• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Is my dream mod realisticly achievable?

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
I want to create my own area in fable, If I become an expert modder is this something I can achieve or is something like that to hard or impossable.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
A few of the mods I've seen have done similar things, so I don't think it's too far fetched. But you'd have to talk to an expert to get a real idea of what it would entail.

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
Okay, this is a project of mine I've been desiring since I was 14. I really want to make my dream mods and for once show projectego.net how and where my skills can be usefull. I stopped playing that game years ago... but I didn't stop going on these forums, if I can speak honestly this is the best online community I've ever known, and the fact that they share my love of this game series is awesome. Now I now realize the nuscence I've been to some members..I don't want to be known for tarnishing this websites name, I want to contribute back because frankly, project.ego is AWESOME.
In the words of Forrest Gump :p "That's all I have to say about that."

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score
I always wanted to make my own town and stuff like that. I decided Greatwood would be a nice area for that. But then I ran into the NPC'S don't go here problem.

(the twinblade thing made me laugh by the way)

Instead I decided instead of making my own area, I'd just alter the game in small ways.

IE: Taking away all the archways that lead to differen't levels. They seem..un-needed. Adding some graves, moving some fences, just all around general tidying up of the game in general. :)

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
I figured it would be to hard. So then just find an area where there aren't alot of quests like an inbetween area or something. Are inside Demon doors a rather safe place to change things up, since quests aren't in them? Can an NPC go inside one? There is alot of unused space around the Guild for instance would editing outside of the original region still cause crashes in cutscenes because it is still loading the mods?

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score
I always wanted to build in the area Where the guild is. there IS a lot of unused space. And by Guild Area I mean lookout point where the "guild" is standing. There's SOO Much space back there it's utterly ridiculous. Gawd Lion head..what a waste

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score
I remember that. If you take out all the filler junk, it's just a vast empty field of nothing, when there could be a vast huge field of awesome. That's why I am bitter, Fable could have been so much more in every way imaginable.

It is Filler Junk too, It's not even full filler. you walk through those walls, and get to the other side half of it is invisible. No solid anything. Ugh..I hate filler.. lol. :)

Not to mention, way in the back..I wanna say right corner, there's a random patch of random Trees, that actually look really nice. I don't recall seeing them anywhere else.

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score
I know, it's like they gave enough of a damn to make it look nice but not enough of a damn to let anyone see it or do anything with it. There are tons of places like that throughout Fable, really cool spots that provoke the imagination, exciting ideas of what they could have put there, or what we could be putting there via mods if we were able to, it's disheartening and frustrating because I would just love to put several more cities throughout Albion and make use of all these unused things, like green guards, and children in more than one city... there are countless things that could have been done and we can't do it because of the navdata and STB.

You can't put children in other cities? Odd. Green guards. What madness do you speak! xD we'll just have to go steal PM's tools and fix Fable TLC.

Fable: PE (project Ego)

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score
Sure you can, the models and textures are all set up for region-specific kids, but the definitions aren't there as I recall so you have to make them. Or just throw some Bowerstone kids in Knothole Glade.

A very quick render.
yIVhE.jpg

Each town was supposed to have it's own guards and kids, but for some reason they didn't do it that way. Still, the textures are all there ready to go.

Haha Really? I guess I didn't go through the files good enough. Or atleast didn't realize the peices made up green guards. do they just have the green ones ready? Or are there othe colors too. getting me all thinking about modding fable again *installs TLC* :) :shifty:

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score
There's blue, red, green, black, and prison which is a gold-trimmed variant of red. I can set it up and have green guards in Knothole in no time, as well as some green-themed kids running around, but all that really interested me was knowing how to do it. I wouldn't actually want to do it without at least an overhaul of Knothole, something else I had considered doing a number of times. Strangely there's only a blue and a green sheriff, but I suppose black and red ones can be made through retextures.

Everything can be made through textures :) Well mabye I'll have to whip up a nifty knothole for ya. :)

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
You've been listening to Fable-nerd talk, with John Doe and Sephi.

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score
You've been listening to Fable-nerd talk, with John Doe and Sephi.

Mwahahah you like it! :D

So I basically just hijacked Zarkes' thread, hope he doesn't mind...
Qymih.jpg

Had some fun with this. Accidentally turned them into insanely super-fast terminators that spawn by the dozen and hit for a bajillion damage, and start out with a very negative opinion of the Hero. Made it difficult to get screenshots until I resolved this.

I was taking a long walk through the whole Witchwood area, consolidated the maps into a single region as they're all connected. The place is so, so much more than just some trees, a temple, a town and a small lake. It's a river, a ravine, a forest, and vast amounts of unused map space. Awesome and depressing at the same time.

HAHAHAHAHA Terminator Guards, lookit his bigg-ass club. Did he come with that or'd you give it to him? :shifty:

Witchwood, I must agree, has the most unused areas of all the maps. (in my opinion) There's just so much endless trees in there it's ridiculous. There's even some spots where the tree's end and you can see random paths that go off into nothingness.

BTW, is it possible to get on the filler of filler? If you catch my drift? And how computer Straining is Map consolidation? I always wanted to try it, but was quite afraid, as my computer is still at least 8 years old. It can run fable beautifully. but I don't know about merged regions yet. :)

Specs:

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00ghz (2CPUs)
1022MB Ram
Direct X 9.0
Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS Graphics with a memory of 512

And as for the thread hijacking. :shifty: I doubt anyone minds. :) :devil:

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score
Stupid error erased my reply. :( Forgive this rather pithy reply but I can't be bothered to write all that out again.

I gave him the club, but I think I'll give him an axe instead. It is Knothole Glade, after all.

Only thing you can't do on filler is get NPCs to follow you, though I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Surprisingly, merged regions aren't that straining. It was an accident this time around but I loaded the whole of Witchwood (52 maps) with all the map scripts (usually I use blank TNGs) and it worked fine. And your specs are better than mine. Only problem with consolidated regions is that you break quests, so you usually have to go with sandbox Fable.

Say you run into a filler, sometimes there's an "end" Then you can see more "filler" in the distance, but I can never get to it. So filler of Filler. :)

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score
D:< I'm double posting and I don't care, this damn editing Java script crap is ****ing me off. I realize I have to wait 6 minutes til posting again but it's been 21 minutes and I still can't do anything! so to add to my previous post

1-22-20076-32.jpg

See how there's stuff way out there? sometimes there's places more complete than this. Was just wondering if that's solid or just for show?

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score
well I'll try but I'm still pretty sure I end up hitting an invisible wall after a while, even though there's still land in the distance.

That's pretty cool looking, if a bit..all over the place XD

dragon flames

the killer of bandits
Reaction score
wait a sec... so it would be completely possible to make a town with NPC's that walked around in it (no quests or wandering merchants, just set the npc's walking paths) out of any area (other than filler, due to it being uncooperative with npc's)?

im thinking about overhauling the basement of the guild (with the pictured panes) and changing it into a town with npc's and replacing the door to it with a portal so it's more realistic. it doesn't sound hard, just time consuming... like the retexture for the door, placing all the buildings and npc's and trees in the area, taking down the walls, etc...
(sorry for using a lot of parentheses, see what i did there?)