• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Making games is hard!!!

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
I learned how to mod and got bored of all the barriers in a given title so about a year ago or so I started a few projects bought some neato programs and started working on designing games. I have a new respect for the work game designers do. There is scripting, lighting, coding, animations the list goes on it would take years to make a game that could try to compete in the open market. Still I am making progress though I have a few maps sprawled out and I'm making headway. Probably the awesome highlight of the year was screwing with the x and y axis to make fluid realistic water for rivers. Coolest tool ever though that I have is the Tree Brush just brush the landscape and a forest appears! Using heightmaps I can draw a map in photoshop then have it turned into 3D really cool! There is just so much I don't know though so I probably will never release a title but it still quite a fun hobby. I'm totally a noob though I just need material for my portfolio. I hella wanna make a Fable Dolls minigame but I'm sure I'd get sued for plagiarism.

ScareCrowReturn

The Token Schizo
Premium
Reaction score
Yeah I have mad respect for game creators/designers/technicians/blahblahblahs.
I do not have the patience for something like that.

Kudos!

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
Yeah I have mad respect for game creators/designers/technicians/blahblahblahs.
I do not have the patience for something like that.

Kudos!
To me it's funner then playing games themselves. Ever sense I played Halo forge my creative side was unleashed.

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
I don't think making a game is hard*, coming up with an unique game through creativity and have a certain style is where it's hard; finding a dedicated team that also is interested and invested into a project is also a hard thing, especially when money isn't involved.

The true hardship comes around when you are building something big - something that has a lot content and things going on, and that's why mostly creating AAA titles or big mods is hard; it takes time, a lot of people, creativity and dedication so they are seen through.

However, if you want to build around a specific concept that has been used and used again then things will certainly be easier, not just because there's already enough content for reference, but because is something you can understand much easily than something that isn't approached often.

* That applies and depends on what kind of game we are talking about, as I say in my post an AAA title is the hardest thing to make, or pretty much anything that has a lot of content or an unique idea. I do firmly believe (and it has been proved many times thanks to flash games, games that copy other games or simply games that don't have anything new to offer) that finding real dedication and strive for creativity is what makes it hard.

Also, if you truly want to make a game with Fable references, models and characters then just go ahead and make it, but I would suggest to hand it out freely.
I say it's hard just because I don't have the education to program a game its all brand new for me. If I knew exactly what I was doing then it would just come down to the amount of work I'm willing to put in.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
It might also be that you're trying to do it all alone.

Wasn't there this RPG that looked like one of those Pokemon games some dude made alone for like 10 years?

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
It might also be that you're trying to do it all alone.

Wasn't there this RPG that looked like one of those Pokemon games some dude made alone for like 10 years?
What a waste of time you can hack a pokemon game and make whatever you want happen, there are many fake pokemon games like pokemon black.

Here is my first steps got land and sky and first person camera going.
firststeps_zpsc75bcfcf.jpg

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
I never said it was a fake Pokemon game, only that it was an RPG that looked like one - you know, the top down 2D view, using sprites and whatnot.

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
Well, f*** you, Zarkes. I do always hate on some games, but calling a game's development a waste of time when someone or many people put a lot of effort hurts at a different level than achieving something, but with bad results. There is one thing about hacking Pokémon ROMs and another about making a whole game based around Pokémon and try to achieve something new.

And you even have the audacity to show your own game's progress after that statement, you truly disgust me.
Holy crap I didn't mean to offend you screwing with roms was how I started out. All Pokemon games are the same format is what I was talking about. If your intention was to make a new installment it'd be much easier to just hack a rom and make your own sprites. Also I didn't want to double post lol.
I never said it was a fake Pokemon game, only that it was an RPG that looked like one - you know, the top down 2D view, using sprites and whatnot.
Oh I thought it was like making a new title like Pokemon Purple or something which in that case hacking would be alot easier.

ScareCrowReturn

The Token Schizo
Premium
Reaction score

I know the one you're talking about, its like a game of life, pretty good game, never got play it, only read about it, but just cant think of the name!