• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Modelling for Fable using C4D R11?

H

hidingwarior

Modelling for Fable using C4D R11?

I use Cinema 4D R11 and have fairly extensive experience with modelling, so now I want to try my hand at modelling weapons for Fable TLC. (Hell, maybe eventually I'll branch out beyond weapons, but as I'm sure all you modellers out there know, organics pose far greater challenge than something like weapons)

Anyway, I'm finding import/export tuts on using 3DS and even blender (blender? seriously?) but find nothing on C4D. It's really a shame c4d isn't more popular, seeing as how it has the capabilities of Maya and 3ds while also having superior particle and rendering systems...fine, 3ds is better for voxels, but that's nothing I can't do with particles in C4D...but that's a whole other tangent...(I end up on those alot, sorry guys ;) )

So, yeah, from what I've gathered I will need my .c4d files to be exported as something called a .x file, which I have never heard about. Also, I checked c4d's export capabilities and don't see .x on the list within the program's dropdown "export" menu. Anybody know how this feat can be accomplished? Also, being able to import already made models into C4D (as in, the weapons already ingame) would be very nice for potential manipulation and sizing purposes.

Thanks guys!
-hidingwarior

OldBoy

Reaction score
Re: Modelling for Fable using C4D R11?

Guess you have to know what to google for: check the top result :cool:

So there is a plugin for DirectX export available (.x is the model format used with directx sdk).
But, that doesn't mean it will work out of the box. You'll have to do some trial an error.
Easiest way I can think of to see if it works; import a model from the game, export it with the plugin, load with Fable Explorer, see if it crashes.

You can also ask JohnDoe in a nice way to help you out, he knows a bit about what the exported file should look like.

[edit]
What is it you want to model? Weapons or clothing? You know that importing animation isn't possible?

H

hidingwarior

Okay, thanks. I've been trying to figure out where the darn textures ARE in the fable folder though...I don't have much experience with this sort of thing, my modelling is limited to C4D. And if they are one of those ".big" files I'm at a loss on how to open them. :p

OldBoy

Reaction score

You're not looking for the textures, but the models. They are in the Graphics.big. Get Fable Explorer (the shadownet version) and play around with it. And always check this when looking for a tutorial about modding Fable.

H

hidingwarior

Sorry, I meant models...I've been playing around with a metal texture I'm working on all night, so i guess I have that on my mind :p

Okay, I looked through the link you gave me...I have tried chocolate box, shadownet, and free roam. All three gave me the following error:

object reference not set to an instance of an object. when i try to run a program

After that line it gives a line of code which I don't understand because I have no programming experience whatsoever.

If the issue is the .net framework, I googled and got a javascript code to copy/paste into my browser which told me what version I had and it said my .net was up to 3.5, so i don't know if that could be the problem or not.

thanks for the help
-hidingwarior

H

hidingwarior

So, any ideas on the above issue?

morerunes

Probably Not Corrupted
Reaction score

Is there a problem with Blender? I find it to be a very nice 3D modeling program. It's free, and seems to be fairly versatile. I don't know much about particle systems, but that's not really in the realm of fable modding.

H

hidingwarior

Sorry about the miniature blender rant. There's nothing wrong with using blender if you don't have the ability to get a top tier progam, which most people don't...I just found it funny that there were tutorials on blender and none for c4d.

But the reason you don't see the problem with blender is because you haven't been able to use a top tier program, to be perfectly honest. I've seen some pretty good blender artists, but the capabilities just aren't nearly as great as a professional program, and everything (and I do mean pretty much everything) that can be done in blender can be done much easier, more efficiently, and, typically, to a higher quality in a professional program. (But that makes sense, obviously)

Again, sorry for any offense caused, I know most people don't have access to professional programs...was just surprised to not see anything for c4d but see a bunch of stuff for blender. :p

Lord-Albion

Lord of Albion
Reaction score

Blender is in fact ther little brother of 3D studio max. if you know how blender works you can make a easy start with 3d studio max.

H

hidingwarior

Lord-Albion;310431 said:
Blender is in fact ther little brother of 3D studio max. if you know how blender works you can make a easy start with 3d studio max.

Just because they have similar mechanics doesn't mean blender is even close in capabilities. The top tier programs are essentially equivalent to each other, but blender is certainly not their equivalent. (Which is obviously common sense, all things considered)

morerunes

Probably Not Corrupted
Reaction score

hidingwarior;310253 said:
Sorry about the miniature blender rant. There's nothing wrong with using blender if you don't have the ability to get a top tier progam, which most people don't...I just found it funny that there were tutorials on blender and none for c4d.

But the reason you don't see the problem with blender is because you haven't been able to use a top tier program, to be perfectly honest. I've seen some pretty good blender artists, but the capabilities just aren't nearly as great as a professional program, and everything (and I do mean pretty much everything) that can be done in blender can be done much easier, more efficiently, and, typically, to a higher quality in a professional program. (But that makes sense, obviously)

Again, sorry for any offense caused, I know most people don't have access to professional programs...was just surprised to not see anything for c4d but see a bunch of stuff for blender. :p

Alright, that makes sense. I've seen some people working with C4D and it looks pretty cool, and I've seen people do in one step what would take me several with blender.

H

hidingwarior

morerunes;313000 said:
Alright, that makes sense. I've seen some people working with C4D and it looks pretty cool, and I've seen people do in one step what would take me several with blender.

Yeah, that's pretty much how it works out. Cinema4D or another top tier program will produce rather superior results with FAR less work when compared with Blender...while Blender can't necessarily create the level of detail that would be required for professional work, it can still create pretty nice stuff...but again, it's sooo much more work to do things in blender.