• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

New TEXT Entry - missing data fields?

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
New TEXT Entry - missing data fields?

After much trouble trying to figure out why my new weapon crashes the game, I discovered that if I swapped the CInventoryItemDef with another weapon it works. So then I looked at the different TEXT entries for TITLE and DESCRIPTION and figured out I needed to create two new ones and here is where I ran into trouble;

I double-click text.bin and find all the TEXT entries. I Click TEXT_ENGLISH_MAIN and select new Entry... not sure what "type" to get I left it at 0 and named it appropriately. Now, when I wanted to edit it I ge an "Error - can't open Entry" or something but yet it opens. Now here is the problem; The fields where to put any text into, for example the description, the entry is missing.

I have no clues... like usual.

OldBoy

Reaction score
Re: New TEXT Entry - missing data fields?

Export the entry data from a similar text.big entry, just name it something - extension doesn't matter.
Import this data into your new field, change it and apply changes.

As for what type, I can't say right now cause I don't have Fable at hand - but you can check by looking at a similar entry...

Now you can link to it from the CIventoryItemDef.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score

OldBoy;135360 said:
Export the entry data from a similar text.big entry, just name it something - extension doesn't matter.
Import this data into your new field, change it and apply changes.

As for what type, I can't say right now cause I don't have Fable at hand - but you can check by looking at a similar entry...

Now you can link to it from the CIventoryItemDef.

By "field" you mean the "Entry Data" section? There's "Import" and "Export" there. Anyhow, I tried it and it didn't work - no new fields appeared. I guess that has to to with the error message....

But I looked into the "type" of others and it is also set to 0. The only thing that differs is the sub-field saying "Entry Type: Text". But I tried that too, it says that the "type" you set when creating the Entry has to be a number.

Steve

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Name
Steve

+rep OldBoy :)

OldBoy

Reaction score

Tsuyu;135361 said:
By "field" you mean the "Entry Data" section? There's "Import" and "Export" there. Anyhow, I tried it and it didn't work - no new fields appeared. I guess that has to to with the error message....

After doing this and clicking apply changes, reload the text.big by double clicking on it, that should work

Tsuyu;135361 said:
But I looked into the "type" of others and it is also set to 0. The only thing that differs is the sub-field saying "Entry Type: Text". But I tried that too, it says that the "type" you set when creating the Entry has to be a number.

Hmmm.

Other way of doing this:

Open a text entry and change it's ID to be a new one -> check last entry in the list to see what's the highest ID.

Change the entry how you want it including entry title.

Click apply changes.

Now after you've saved this by 'save mods and run fable' your entries will appear at the bottom of the list as new ones.

Other way of doing this:

Load a mod that has text.big entries in it - most new items use 2 text entries - But don't save the mod!

The entries will be at the end of the list in text.big

Change them how you like.

Click apply changes

Rightclick on text.big and select save changes as big

Save the file somewhere.

Exit FE -> without save mods and run fable

Start FE again

Rightclick on text.big and select merge big and select the file you saved before.

You'll have two new entries.

edit
As I stated in your thread about creating new items, the last described method is a good one for creating entirely new items. I use my own mods as templates for new mods, this way I dont have to create new entries all the time.
But I'd advise to use a similar mod as a template for what you want to make -> example: Making a new single hamded weapon, use a single handed weapon mod as a template etc.
Also if you're making an fmp: make sure you put all the CDefs in the create fmp box in the same order as they were added to the game.bin - this to prevent linking problems. You can check this by looking at the CDefs ID's

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score

Oh I grovel at your feet, Oldboy! That dit it! Hopefully that was the last hurdle to jump over.