• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

PC Version

chevyowner

Reaction score
Is there anyway to install and play the PC version now? Or would it be better to use the DVD as a frisbee?

chevyowner

Reaction score
It looks like the only way to play the PC version of Fable 3 regardless of purchase is to pirate it. All Thanks to GFWL shutdown.

If someone has an alternative method that will work to play the purchased version please do share it.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
It looks like the only way to play the PC version of Fable 3 regardless of purchase is to pirate it. All Thanks to GFWL shutdown.

If someone has an alternative method that will work to play the purchased version please do share it.
You can remove the need for GFWL with the file provided by Timeslip here: http://timeslip.users.sourceforge.net/ (scroll down on the left side). When you're done downloading, simply copy & paste the file in the zip to the installation folder and overwrite the original xlive.dll file. After that, you should be all set.

As for DLC, Lionhead never made the effort to move it over to Steam (even the game itself was removed from there), so we're all screwed at acquiring legally sadly. :/

chevyowner

Reaction score
I am unsure why but my copy has a release date check, that due to GFWl being shutdown will never unlock the game. Currently I don't even have fable3.exe as it is encrypted and unusable.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
I am unsure why but my copy has a release date check, that due to GFWl being shutdown will never unlock the game. Currently I don't even have fable3.exe as it is encrypted and unusable.

The retail version has a bug in the installer where the verification window pops up, it fails to show the "OK" button you're supposed to click. Press the "Enter" key on your keyboard and it should get you past that part.

chevyowner

Reaction score
I got it installed, but until there is a method to decrypt the games exes and bypass the release check versions like mine cant be played.

chevyowner

Reaction score
Apparently there is an issue with part of the activation for early DVD copies that for some reason fails to run correctly.
I figured out how to make it work.
In the Fable 3 install directory there should be a Zdp folder.
Open that and run zdp.exe and things will work correctly, but if you run any shortcut created by the installer the game wont pass the release date verification, and cant be played.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Nice work, glad you were able to find the fix for it and should hopefully help others as well.