• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The same old good fairy-tale...

S

Skorm

The same old good fairy-tale...

It was time. He tried to clear his head of any thoughts, yet they still remained.
* * * * *​
He stood alone, over a pile of corpses, scared, feeling naked before death, waiting for her to come and deprive him of his existence. All the hassle to get his sister a birthday gift was forgotten. He ran as fast as his legs could take him. Didn’t try to escape from death, but to embrace her, yet still, he wanted to take a look at his father for just a brief moment. At last, he found him. Dead. The sight overwhelmed him. He fell to his knees, and started to grieve, waiting to feel the weight of someone’s sword on his shoulder. Barely raised his head, just to see an approaching bandit with a wide grin on his face. And then suddenly, the grin changed to a painful expression as the bandit fell on the ground, dead. The falling body revealed a sight, far more frightful – a huge man, with blue marks and determined look on his face and his hands glowing with pure, raw power. After a moment the glow was gone, but the man still remained, as if he was a part of a dream, which was supposed to end, but never did so. He approached and reached his hand, mumbling something, which the boy didn’t quite heard. The boy reached his hand too, and close his eyes, waiting to suffer the same fate the bandit did. But when he finally opened them they were gone. All the corpses were gone. The fires seemed far, far away…
* * * * *​
But now wasn’t time to think of the past. A great challenge was before him. All the years he spent at the guild were just a prelude to this very moment. He had to enter the woods and face the challenge… The challenge, that would determine his fate.
He gripped the hilt of his sword and focused, so that he could use his will-power to bend reality and make the nature act through his fingers. He took a step and saw Maze, the old wizard, who had saved his life back then. Now he didn’t seemed as huge as before, but the blue fire in his eyes left no doubt – the age has brought only knowledge and power to him, and not a single weakness. Maze said “Very well. Now, defend!” and without any further hesitation, stormed at the boy, readying his staff for a blow. The boy rolled over, dodging his strike, blocked the next one and hit Maze’s knee with his fist. Such a well placed strike wasn’t expected from Maze and he groaned and knelt for a second. The boy stood up, and slashed Maze’s neck. He would never have done that, but the blue glow around the wizard’s body left no doubt – that was some sort of protective spell. And, just as he has thought, the sword bounced off as if it has met cold steel, not a human flesh. Maze grunted and disappeared, just to show himself up on the nearby tree. The boy turned just to be struck by lightning and to fall to the ground with a scream. The next lighting was already coming, when a white spark erupted from the boy’s fingers and met Maze’s lightning in mid-air. He concentrated all of his will and slowly, he took advantage. Maze shook for a brief moment, as the lighting struck his chest, then lost balance and began to fall from the tree. The boy was already up and placing an arrow on the string of his bow. The arrow hit Maze just when he was to hit the ground and forced him to fall on his face. Another arrow was coming his way, when he raised his hand, shouted “Stop!” and the arrow was left hanging in the air. “A most unexpected performance, yet a cunning one. You’ve earned yourself the title of hero.” The boy grinned. He had to go and change himself – the ceremony was about to begin shortly…
--------------------------------------------------------

Well, what do you think? I'm in a mood for some writing, but I need your feedback - about the writing style, about the path the boy would take, good - evil, warrior - mage and so on... If I get enough feedback by tomorrow I'll get the second part. I feel like tracing all the main quests and probably some others. What do you think?

Steve

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Name
Steve
Re: The same old good fairy-tale...

Very nice story, Skorm! Great work. +rep

And I'd go for the 'evil path' personally... :shifty:

droded

I Am Awesome
Premium