• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The story of Secia...

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Secia_Lunegaze

The story of Secia...

This is based off of Kenneth Oppal's "Silverwing" trilogy. It's a short story but I like it. For those of you who haven't read it it's about bats. They converse with one another and it's just great. Go read it.... now. ^.^

Sorrow of a Broken Soul

Secia flew away from tree haven, her tears drenching her fur and trailing off behind her. Her cheek stung, having been hit by her mother for going outside alone... exactly what she was doing right now. It didn't matter, for she deserved the punishment. In fact, she deserved more than just a slap across the face.
Life was never good to her. Vaili, her mother, was left to raise Secia by herself as her mate had left her. This caused her to take out her pain and aggression on Secia, and never once did she think twice about it. Secia was also teased by the other newborns, for her white fur and discolored eyes.
With no friends to tell her otherwise, she'd slowly slipped into a mentality that was dangerous. She believed her mother and the other newborns... she was worthless and would amount to nothing. She wasn't a runt, but she was certainly smaller, and frailer than the others. An insult would send her into tears, and she wouldn't be able to recover for an hour or so... She flew along until she was calmer, and unknowingly roosted near some of the other newborns. They noticed her before she even got there, and as soon as she landed, they began their assault...
"Hey, you aren't going to lure the owls to us are you?" said one.
"Yea, we'd all run! But you, you'd sit there and cry! Maybe the owls will have more use for you than us! At least they can eat you," said his friend, and the two burst out laughing.
Secia started crying. They were right, she was useless... maybe she ought to go get eaten, at least then she would have been useful to someone... But her thoughts and her crying were interrupted when another newborn spoke loudly.
"Hey! Why are you making fun of her? She just looks a little different!" came a loud protest from a strong looking male newborn.
"Her mom's also the one who said Shade was going to get us all killed! She's gonna be just like her, tryin to ruin the colony!" the first one said.
But the strong-looking one only laughed at the newborns and said, "How about you get going back to your moms before I ruin you?" Sure enough, the two instigators left as quickly as they could. But this strong one flew over and landed next to Secia. He nodded to her and spoke.
"Hey are you okay? I'll make sure they don't bother you again. By the way, the name's Jek!"
Secia merely stared at him... he'd spoken to her, and not hurt her in any way! Maybe she could be happy... "My name's Secia... thank you..." she said in a somewhat unsure voice.
"No problem. I like abusing those two anyway! So, what do you say we go hunting, you've got to have food right?" he asked.
Secia's stomach growled at this, and she quickly agreed. She really didn't know him well, but she liked him. Hoping he would stay with her for a while she flew into the night with him to hunt...

Over the next few hours, this bat had shown Secia things that she had never experienced before. One of her favorites was "fun". He had made up a game, whoever could get full the fastest won. Of course he had won, but he told her not to worry about it, as he'd never been beaten.
Then they ended up talking for a while. She expressed her feelings to him in hopes that he'd understand. He took it well, considering that it was all childish to her. In the end, he told her he'd see her the next night, and that he was looking forward to it. The next week continued in the same way.
Eventually, Secia began to feel a strange feeling around him. She felt safe, and comfortable, like nothing in the world mattered. She felt... happy! For the first time in her life she felt as if she was needed, as if she wasn't worthless. Secia felt capable of anything! When she was near him, she felt light and tingly, and her stomach did a little dance inside her every time he looked at her. She was falling for him, and she knew it. So one day she decided to talk to her mother about it before they fell asleep.
She didn't really think when she said any of it either. "Hey mom..."
Vaili looked over to her daughter, irritated that her preening had been interupted, "What?"
Secia, looked away for a moment, then looked back and spoke up, "I... I have a friend, his name is Jek. He's been with me outside this week... so I've been safe."
"And?" Her mother hated talking with her... but Vaili was the only other bat she could speak to.
"I.... I um... I think, I'm in love with him..." Secia said, her voice filled with happiness.
Vaili stopped preening herself... and looked at Secia, "Really? Well... how did that happen? I should have a word with him..."
Confused, Secia asked, "Why would you want to talk with him?"
Vaili jumped slightly, then replied rather tenderly, "It's nothing to worry about, go to bed now..." She was being rather suspicious, but Secia took no heed and went to sleep as she was told...

The next night, Secia flew out of Tree Haven and tried to find Jek. She found him with a bunch of his friends joking about something. She barely got near before she overheard one of them talking to Jek.
She sounded excited and giggly, "And she actually believes you’re her friend? How did you do it?"
Then Jek spoke, as if to show off, "Yea. It was easy, she's so desperate she'll take anyone who'll talk to her!" Secia heard him, and immediately wondered whom he was talking about.
Roosting on a nearby branch she said, "Hey, I was looking for you. I have to tell you something."
Jek was smiling as he looked at his giggling friends, and took his time making his way to her. Still smiling he said, "Oh, what did you have to say?"
Secia almost couldn't speak... all she could say was three words, "I... love you..."
Jek's smile disappeared quickly, but just as soon reappeared a moment later. But instead of admitting his love for her back, he laughed. A long, mocking laughter... Looking at his friends once more, he yelled out, "She said she loves me! Priceless!"
Secia's jaw dropped, she felt all her happiness suddenly gone... It was then that she knew it was all a joke... it was all an elaborate insult... She fell from the branch and flew as fast as she could elsewhere... tears matting her fur all over.

Some time later, she found a roost and simply bean to cry. It was all a ruse. They were just out to hurt her again. She should've known, she wasn't worth friendship, let alone love... She felt pain in her heart, and she believed it would never heal. The world mocked her, and her existence. She was useless, doomed to fail at everything she tried. No one loved her, not even her own mother...
It was now that she truly considered getting herself eaten by the owls... it was a better fate than dealing with the pain in her heart. But could she truly do it? Secia didn't really know if she could... and this brought about another gush of tears. She couldn't even get herself killed! She truly was worthless...
Her mother's voice rang in the distance... and she knew that Vaili would punish her again. She almost wanted it, to feel as though someone cared in some way... but she knew what her mother had done. In her heart, she had known love, and had it broken. Her heart was in pieces now, and she felt no happiness... all she felt now was a sorrow that felt ready to consume her soul. Life was pointless, meaningless idiocy... Her life no longer meant anything to her anymore. Even her own mother didn't care about her... Sorrow... Sorrow wasn't even a strong enough word to describe her... she was broken.

Sometime after her first migration...

Secia flew along, almost half-heartedly. She barely wanted to eat anything... but she knew the consequences if she didn't. Such stomach pains shouldn't be allowed! Besides, it was easy to catch mosquitoes; it was almost like she didn't have to do any work at all... Tiger moths, as she saw it, were far too annoying and difficult to catch to be worth it, especially when a couple mouthfuls of mosquitoes would equal the same thing. She saw the others' competition a childish thing... Still, Seci tried her best to stay away from the others at Tree Haven; all they did was make her life miserable anyway... She didn't need them...
But as she flew along she zoned out for a second, simply not thinking… which was all the better to her… Until some other bat crashed right into her! Secia tumbled out of the sky, cursing under her breath. She pulled herself out of her plummet using a well-timed flick of the tail membrane and a strange twirling motion with her wings. She had a lot of time to practice her flying skills; it wasn't as if she socialized! Her flying took her away from the other silverwings anyhow... and that's how she liked things.
She simply continued along as if it never happened. Things like this often happened to her. Besides, if it was someone from Tree Haven then she certainly didn't want to deal with them. They were far more trouble than they were worth, in her opinion at least.
But the newcomer flew after her and spoke up. “"Umm sorry bout that" he said, "I guess I wasn't paying attention, are you alright?"

A long road lies ahead of her, and her adventure has only begun… Will her sorrows be lifted? Or will she live forever in the darkness of her heart? Whatever happens, this is her story…

F

funky_fable

Re: The story of Secia...

Nice writing, i really liked it.

S

Secia_Lunegaze

Thanks! It's always nice to see someone who likes my writing ^.^

Yes, I know... she's super emo >. > But that's just how her character is. I was going to write more... kinda like this is the first chapter but I never got to it... maybe I should...

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score

yay brandend. :D rep+ pretty good.

S

Secia_Lunegaze

Woo rep+!!!

Think I should re-write it?

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score

If you want to, but I think it's fine for a backstory.

S

Secia_Lunegaze

I was thinking about writing the backstory on Clayve.... it would be a short book lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.