• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

William Black = Scythe?

Emendio

Emendio Brahmen
Reaction score
I know that this topic has been brought up before but I'm just wondering...
What are everyone's views on the William Black = Scythe theory?

Personally I do not believe that Scythe is the same person as William Black, perhaps if Fable IV is ever resurrected this topic may be expanded upon.

Roger

Reaction score
I think Scythe is William Black, it's pretty obvious in the Fable Wiki when they say "William wrapped his body in golden mail and a royal blue cloak before vanishing."

Warpedhero

Warped Hero
Reaction score
I believe that the writers went about as far in that direction as they could. In Fable: The Lost Chapters, we meet Scythe. He is wearing golden mail and a blue cloak. As Roger said, the Fable Wiki refers to William Black having disappeared "wrapped...in golden mail and a royal blue cloak"; the information on the Wiki is taken from another source (unfortunately the Wiki doesn't have the source listed), which I do not recall off the top of my head, but I distinctly remember that it was an official backstory for William Black.

In Fable II, if you choose the 'Family' option, Rose writes you a letter. In the letter, she claims to be with a man who seems to be a king, but who wears a dark hood. This has been generally accepted as referring to Scythe.

In Fable IV, Theresa tells the story of William Black to the protagonist; how he tried to recreate the world, and it nearly destroyed him. This would explain Scythe's withered appearance (in addition to the fact that he has been alive for quite some time). In addition to this information, we have the remark made by the Oracle in Fable: The Lost Chapters, telling us that the only person who has "seen and done more" than Scythe is Jack of Blades. This would make sense if Scythe and William Black were the same person, because if Jack of Blades is the only Hero older than Scythe in Fable: The Lost Chapters, it would imply that Scythe was around at least near the same time as William Black.

Given all the above information, I think it is a safe bet that William Black is, or rather, became Scythe. You may find the concept art for Scythe interesting (it contains no information directly linking him to William Black, other than his attire, but it sometimes helps to have a visual):

Scythe_Concept.jpg

Roger

Reaction score
I believe that the writers went about as far in that direction as they could. In Fable: The Lost Chapters, we meet Scythe. He is wearing golden mail and a blue cloak. As Roger said, the Fable Wiki refers to William Black having disappeared "wrapped...in golden mail and a royal blue cloak"; the information on the Wiki is taken from another source (unfortunately the Wiki doesn't have the source listed), which I do not recall off the top of my head, but I distinctly remember that it was an official backstory for William Black.

In Fable II, if you choose the 'Family' option, Rose writes you a letter. In the letter, she claims to be with a man who seems to be a king, but who wears a dark hood. This has been generally accepted as referring to Scythe.

In Fable IV, Theresa tells the story of William Black to the protagonist; how he tried to recreate the world, and it nearly destroyed him. This would explain Scythe's withered appearance (in addition to the fact that he has been alive for quite some time). In addition to this information, we have the remark made by the Oracle in Fable: The Lost Chapters, telling us that the only person who has "seen and done more" than Scythe is Jack of Blades. This would make sense if Scythe and William Black were the same person, because if Jack of Blades is the only Hero older than Scythe in Fable: The Lost Chapters, it would imply that Scythe was around at least near the same time as William Black.

Given all the above information, I think it is a safe bet that William Black is, or rather, became Scythe. You may find the concept art for Scythe interesting (it contains no information directly linking him to William Black, other than his attire, but it sometimes helps to have a visual):

Scythe_Concept.jpg

Wow dude, amazing. Simply amazing. All of that does really make sense. I've just been reading up on a LOT of the Fable lore recently and it's ridiculously interesting. For example the crawler, I found that to be one of the coolest things in the lore. Like how he came to the world from the void through the Spire and stuff. I was blown away.

Little_Sparrow

Hero of Skill
Reaction score

Scythe_Concept.jpg
the source to the fable wiki credit you are referring to is the old fable 2 website. It had these pages " tales of albion" in 3 segments. Fragments of the old kingdom, fall of the heroes and travels in today's albion.

They were extremely interesting and the actual website itself was awesome with a large variety of things to do.

If you every wanted to open that chest in the chamber of fate in fable 2 I think you needed to complete something on the website.

here is a link to the 3 stories in full detail

http://fr.fablefr.wikia.com/wiki/Tales_of_Albion

Warpedhero

Warped Hero
Reaction score
the source to the fable wiki credit you are referring to is the old fable 2 website. It had these pages " tales of albion" in 3 segments. Fragments of the old kingdom, fall of the heroes and travels in today's albion.

They were extremely interesting and the actual website itself was awesome with a large variety of things to do.

If you every wanted to open that chest in the chamber of fate in fable 2 I think you needed to complete something on the website.

here is a link to the 3 stories in full detail

http://fr.fablefr.wikia.com/wiki/Tales_of_Albion

Sorry for the late, late reply. Yes that is what I remember! Thanks for the link! :)