• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

80s VS Today's music

Firis

Amateur Human
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
Re: 80s VS Today's music

The 80's had great music, but it wasn't anything that catches my mood as a 90's kid; but today's mainstream often makes me laugh or makes my eye twitch, today's music is, in my mind terrible unless you dig.

Trawgdor

Rawkin'
Reaction score

There's a couple of great albums that recently came out. You should go listen to Dementia/Dyslexia from Fleshwrought. It's amazing.

Zjuggernaut

Just plain talented!
Reaction score

Both decades fail badly.

The music in the charts in the 80's sucked. The music in the charts now sucks. Each generation has their good music... You just need to find it. There's loads of songs from the 80's I like and a number of songs now I like... Saying that "80's music is better than today's music" to me is just kind of ignorant.

90's kid and proud.

Noctus

Metal Connoisseur
Reaction score

I listen to independent artists. You know, the artists that haven't been corrupted by income.

HeroOfCrapsalot

Dean Gullberry
Premium
Reaction score

I'm only 16 and I listen to older music. The Cult, Judas Priest, The Doors and some other good examples that I can't quite remember now. I also listen to newer music like Tool (kinda new), NeverShoutNever (not gay), eatmewhileimhot!, Avenged Sevenfold and many others. I love them all.

Trawgdor

Rawkin'
Reaction score

DarkenedSoul;417375 said:
I listen to independent artists. You know, the artists that haven't been corrupted by income.

I'm not sure if I've told you this before, but you should check out Utopia Banished. They're unsigned, and they're some pretty good melo-death.

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score

Zjuggernaut;417365 said:
Both decades fail badly.

The music in the charts in the 80's sucked. The music in the charts now sucks. Each generation has their good music... You just need to find it. There's loads of songs from the 80's I like and a number of songs now I like... Saying that "80's music is better than today's music" to me is just kind of ignorant.

90's kid and proud.

Yeah, the new wave groups of the 80s on the radio weren't much different than many of the mainstream artists of today. Bombarding people with basic keyboard & synth beats, stiff stage movement, and often awful dull vocals w/ poorly thought out lyrics... and people call it a classic. Why? Because it's old, because they were pioneers?

But, like we said already.. look beyond the mainstream and take a dig through the independent labels and you'll find good talent and music throughout all of the decades.

Firis

Amateur Human
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score

Kind of a mixture here, one of the bands I like: 'The Birthday Massacre' have a very 80's pop vibe in a lot of there songs, in my opinion.

Noctus

Metal Connoisseur
Reaction score

Trawgdor;417392 said:
I'm not sure if I've told you this before, but you should check out Utopia Banished. They're unsigned, and they're some pretty good melo-death.
Eh, I'm not Melo-death's biggest fan. Plus, just being unsigned doesn't instantly make the music better (or worse).

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score

If I had to generalize, then today's music > 80s music simply because of the abundance of different artists and genres.

The only thing people aren't doing (at least correctly) these days is 80's electro pop. Otherwise, we pretty much have everything and more today.

Apple Pie

BOOM! Headshot
Reaction score

FromOakvale;416990 said:
Yeah! lol i was called a myspace whore today! )':

Because you look and act like one. Just sayin :)

Noctus

Metal Connoisseur
Reaction score

TRA Rotid;417476 said:
If I had to generalize, then today's music > 80s music simply because of the abundance of different artists and genres.

The only thing people aren't doing (at least correctly) these days is 80's electro pop. Otherwise, we pretty much have everything and more today.
I agree. The general diversity wasn't as big in the 80's due to the lack of technology, and if you dig deep enough, you can find amazing music nowadays.

Trawgdor

Rawkin'
Reaction score

DarkenedSoul;417412 said:
Eh, I'm not Melo-death's biggest fan. Plus, just being unsigned doesn't instantly make the music better (or worse).

I was just sayin' that they were unsigned because, I mean, they're better than most Melo-Death that ARE signed... not naming any bands.. :lol:

Noctus

Metal Connoisseur
Reaction score

Then why didn't you say that in the first place? It sounded like you were trying to entice me in purely by the fact they're unsigned, and that doesn't cut it for me.

Also, whether they're better or not is totally subjective - and I don't like melo-death much.

Trawgdor

Rawkin'
Reaction score

D:< They're a lot more raw than like, In Flames and stuff.

[youtube]O1FkbvGl-IU[/youtube]

VS

[youtube]EDgCyZobKU0[/youtube]

Check'em out of you like them, http://www.myspace.com/utopiabanished.

The Plague is my favorite song by them though. :lol:

Noctus

Metal Connoisseur
Reaction score

Nah, definitely not my thing. Far too fake, cheesy and cliched.

Also, In Flames are one of these bands I just cannot get at all.

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score

Gikoku Harakami;417035 said:
Basically this. The problem with a lot of youth is that they don't take the time to look for music beyond the radio

Couldn't agree with you more, I try to mix it up with new albums, and digging around through old ones, I just go into shops and buy greatest hit cds of bands old people talk about.

Trawgdor;416971 said:
Timeline of Awesome (off the top of my head):

The 60s - The Beatles, Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones, The Who.

The 70s - AC/DC, Aerosmith, The Allman Brother's Band, Blue Oyster Cult, Black Sabbath, Jethro Tull, Kansas, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Journey, Rush, ELVIS, thanks Purple Nurple.

The 80s - Metallica, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Alice Cooper, Beastie Boys, Bon Jovi, The Clash, Def Leppard, Slayer, Death, Morbid Angel, Possessed, Guns N' Roses, Soundgarden, Queensyrche, Radiohead, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Dream Theater, Nirvana.

The 90s - Mastodon, Necrophagist, Smashing Pumpkins, R.E.M., Beck, Rage Against The Machine, U2, Counting Crows, Third Eye Blind, Alice In Chains, Stone Temple Pilots.

The 00s - Job For a Cowboy, The White Stripes, Queens of the Stone Age, Muse, Wolfmother, Coheed and Cambria, Opeth, The Strokes, Tool.

Jeez, I really blanked out on some decades..

(By the way, all these are like, whatchacallit, approximate, 'cause most bands start in one decade and get big in another, etc. Jeez, it's really late for me to be thinking this hard.)

You missed out Thin Lizzy! And Dire Staits, Motley crue, kiss, dear god man! :'(

Don't let cheezMcNasty into this thread! He said 80's music sucks.....o_O