• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

A Beginner's Guide to Pub Games

El Mosqueton

Party Animal
Reaction score

Where can I find it?

First of all, as you probably know, Pub Games is an Arcade Game available in Xbox LIVE Arcade (duh) for 800 MS . Or free, if you pre-ordered Fable II two years ago.

OK, but what is it?

Well, it's a compilation of diverse Table Games, all of which are commonly found in Albion. It includes three main games with different spin-offs and minor differences. The main ones are:

Fortune's Tower:

The game is played with a deck of cards containing 8, 9 or ten cards (depends on deck) of each number from 1 to 7 and 4 "hero" cards, which have the picture of a knight. During each hand, you're dealt eight rows of cards. The first row is comprised of a single card, face down, called "Gate card". This card will automatically be used to exchange any card in the lower rows that would have resulted in a loss. All other rows are comprised of 2-8 cards face up, the row number being equal to the number of cards it contains. These cards either have a number from 1-7 on them or the picture of a knight.

As each row is dealt, the cards within it are added up to get a total. If any of the cards in the row are identical to either of the two cards directly above it, they'll catch fire and you'll lose the hand. This is known as "Misfortune". However, there are two ways to avoid this loss. If the card in the first row is still available, it will take the place of the losing card (though it may still match one of the two cards directly, in which case you still lose). Another savior is the knight card, which automatically negates any cards that have burned up within the same row.

Keystone:
In this game, the player bets on the tiles of a board shaped as an arch. These bets, called "arch bets", are placed at the start of the game on any number from 3 to 18 and are kept until they are won or the game ends. Then the player makes "inside bets", which are effective only on the present turn and can be repeated in future turns. Inside bets can be placed on any number from 3 to 18, a range of numbers (4 to 9, 10 and 11, or 12 to 17) or a group of numbers (red, black, even or odd). The player may also bet on other different combinations. The player then rolls three six-sided dice, the addition of which is a number on the board.

Each time the dice are rolled, the resulting number is removed from the arch. If this number is rolled again, then an adjacent tile is removed.

Spinnerbox:
It is a slot machine game in which the player spins 3, 4 or 6 slots, depending on the variant of the game. If the slots form chains of the same adjacent symbols then the player wins a payout that is dependent on the bet, the length of the chain and the symbol. Each spinnerbox table uses different symbols and has different payouts for the different chain lengths. Besides these symbols, there is a special bonus symbol that grants free spins depending on the length of the chain formed with these symbols (in some game variants)

So, now I know what it is, but what do I want it for?

Well, as a game by itself, it really has no replay value, or even play value at all. But here's where Fable II come around, you can Import any gold you make here to your main account, but that's not the highlight, oh no, you can win exclusive game items through Pub games by playing "tournaments" a competitive version of the above games (unfourtunately there's no mutiplayer, thought.)

Here's a list of all the unlockable items:

Fortune's Tower:
Plaits Hairstyle Card
200px-Fortune%27s_Tower_Item_01.jpg

Dog Training: Backflip

-PICTURE UNAVALIABLE-

Highroller's Coat
200px-Fortune%27s_Tower_Item_03.jpg

Potion of Will
200px-Fortune%27s_Tower_Item_04.jpg

Championship Pistol
200px-Fortune%27s_Tower_Item_05.jpg

KeyStone:
"Deepest Darkest" Chocolates
200px-Keystone_Item_01.jpg

The Sleepmaster 3000

-PICTURE UNAVALIABLE-*

*It's a simple 5 star bed though.

Potion of Strength
200px-Keystone_Item_03.jpg

Tribal Warrior Face Tattoo
200px-Keystone_Item_04.jpg

Championship Cutlass
200px-Keystone_Item_05.jpg

Spinnerbox:
Amazing Apple Pie
200px-Spinnerbox_Item_01.jpg

"Hat,Headband, Moustache"

-PICTURE UNAVAILABLE-

Tribal Warrior Body Tattoo
200px-Spinnerbox_Item_03.jpg

Potion of Skill
200px-Spinnerbox_Item_04.jpg

Mysterious Ring
200px-Spinnerbox_Item_05.jpg

Very well, but I'm kind of an Achievement Whore soo...

No Problem! Pub Games has 12 achievements (for a total of 200G) that are both easy and rewarding, with only a few being a tad hard, here's the list:

Not Just Another Mark - Earn a 3-star rating - 10 pts. High Roller's Club - Earn a 5-star rating - 20 pts. I Want It All - Earn all 15 unique items - 40 pts. No Stone Unturned - Get a jackpot in Keystone - 10 pts. Warrior's Luck - Get a jackpot in Fortune's Tower - 10 pts. Serious Stakeholder - Have a bankroll over 2,500 gold - 20 pts. Penultimate Player - Place in a tournament - 10 pts. Big Spinner - Win at least 100 times your bet at any Spinnerbox game - 10 pts. Fortunate Finder - Unlock a new game of any type - 10 pts. Lucky Locksmith - Unlock all games - 30 pts. Champion of Chance - Win a tournament - 30 pts. Fabled Financier - Play a Pub Game with your Fable II hero - 0 pts.
Oh well! That IS an awesome game! I'll go buy it right now! Oh and you should totally get your Contibutor badge back now!

Haha, thanks, it really is not a fun game though, you should only get it if you have Fable II!

Any question or commentaries in the comment section below. KTHXBAI

Steve

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Name
Steve
Re: A Beginner's Guide to Pub Games

Brilliant post, TTL. Great write-up. =]

El Mosqueton

Party Animal
Reaction score

projectego;432789 said:
Brilliant post, TTL. Great write-up. =]

That WAS me, for the record...

Steve

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Name
Steve

I never said it wasn't you who wrote it. :p

Great guide, again. Very detailed and well explained. Would you be at all interested in me adding it to the projectego.net area of the website? I feel your guide would come in very handy for newer Pub Games players.

El Mosqueton

Party Animal
Reaction score

projectego;432802 said:
I never said it wasn't you who wrote it. :p

Great guide, again. Very detailed and well explained. Would you be at all interested in me adding it to the projectego.net area of the website? I feel your guide would come in very handy for newer Pub Games players.

Of course! You're just trying to make me feel good aren't you? :D

grogpole

Lord High Grand Duke of all Chickens of Albion
Reaction score

get the highrollers coat it is EPIC (hairs pretty cool too)