• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

A Fable Tale: This being an account of one James Hunter...

B

Black Dahlia

A Fable Tale: This being an account of one James Hunter...

Well, although I've posted this on about three other sites, I supposed that one more couldn't hurt... So here it is, a fanfiction about Fable 1. Here's chapter 1. I have 2 others, but I'll post them if people want to continue reading...Enjoy! ^_^

A warm breeze drifted through the air, carrying the sweet scent of apples and oaks towards the peaceful little village of Oakvale. It was evening now, and everywhere, the lamps were being lighted, their soft glow gently bathing the cobblestones in warm light.
The twilight air was filed with the chirps of crickets and the quiet songs of the nightingales. Waves from the nearby ocean lapped up onto the shore, and laughter could be heard emanating from the tavern.
James sighed contentedly as he observed the view from atop a small grassy hill above the village. Everything was so calm, so peaceful. He fingered the jar beside him, hoping his father would be back from the tavern soon. James wanted to go firefly catching with him tonight, seeing as the air was balmy and the skies were clear. He scooped up the jar and carefully picked his was down the hillside towards his house. Sure enough, James’ father’s familiar laughter floated through the open doorway. He must have a friend over thought James.
He walked through the doorway, still clutching the jar tightly in his hands.
“Dad?” he called, although he already knew his father was home.
“Come here, son,” his father answered back, coming into the main room of their little thatch roofed cottage. “What do you need?”
“Well, I was hoping you and I could go into the fields to catch fireflies, but it looks like you’re busy, so I’ll just go do something else.” He trudged off, looking crestfallen.
“Wait a minute, son,” James’ father called to him, “my friend here was just leaving. We’ll go out as soon as he’s gone.

An Hour Later…

James and his father stood in one of the many grassy fields that surrounded Oakvale. Around them, dozens of fireflies whirred around, their soft, warm light casting a comforting glow around the two people. Already, they had filled the jar with a fair few of the bright creatures, and James sealed the jar containing them as he and his father wandered over to an old, knotted tree, whose leafy canopy extended far out over their heads. They settled down comfortably between its roots, setting the jar down in front of them. James’ father contemplated the fireflies for a moment, before speaking up.
“Would you like me to tell you a story?” he inquired.
James nodded quietly. He loved the stories his father told, the stories of the history of Albion, of the creatures, the Heroes past, and the Heroes present. James settled himself into a more comfortable position and waited for his father to begin.

Once, long, long ago, there was a Hero who went by the name of Quickblade. I call him Hero, although he wasn’t part of the Guild. Quickblade was an independent Hero, one hired and paid money for his own profit, and not the Guild’s. He was a prideful man, arrogant in his ways and selfish in his thinking. Despite this, he was an amazing fighter. As an archer, no ones aim was truer. As a swordsman, no one could best him. When it came to the Will, no one rivalled his power at all. Quickblade was well aware of these facts, and took advantage of it. Villagers would call for his aid, and he’d come, slaying progressively deadlier creatures, no matter the risk, and this only strengthened his arrogance. However, as his fame grew, the Guild took notice. In his rise to power, he had robbed the Guild Heroes of their fame; all those years spent training were wasted upon them, as it seemed no one wanted their help anymore; they only wanted Quickblade. The Guild, fearing this would put an end to their good reputation, came up with a plan. They would take their strongest Heroes and band together to bring down Quickblade, thus halting his dangerous ascent to power. So, one night, while travelling through Gibbet Woods on his way to another quest, Quickblade was ambushed. From seemingly out of nowhere, Heroes appeared in the murky shadows, their weapons gleaming menacingly in the moonlight.
“You have a choice, Quickblade,” their leader called, his voice hollow, “you can quit your life of arrogance and stay with us, and we will spare you, or you can continue to lead this sort of life, in which case we will be forced to kill you. The choice is yours, although we’d rather you didn’t pick the latter.”
Quickblade glared and them each, one by one, his eyes bloodshot, then cried out into the night,
“So be it then. If I must die, then I die fighting!”
And with that, Quickblade drew his sword and charged. He roared with fury and slashed at the Hero standing in front of him. The Hero stumbled backwards, but soon, three others took his place. Quickblade knew he was outnumbered, and that he wouldn’t be able to win this fight. Nevertheless, he fought with all his might. Quickblade parried and slashed, kicked and leapt, but soon, he could not go on any longer; Quickblade was succumbing to too many wounds. With one last cry of pain, he dropped his silver sword from nerveless fingers just as the leader of the Heroes ran him through, pinning him to the large tree that loomed over them. Leaving his body there, the Heroes left to celebrate their victory. It wasn’t until much later that Quickblade’s body was taken down, but his blood remained, splashed onto the bark of the tree. And to this day, that very tree has been used to execute all the terrible criminals in Albion, so much so that it has received the name Gallows Tree. Some even say they can still see the stain of blood left by Quickblade during his final moments, left to show the tarnish the Guild had left on their honour…

James sat in silence as his father finished his story. He had never heard that story before…His father usually refrained from telling him such bloody stories, or stories that tainted the Guild’s name. James watched his father for a moment, deep in contemplation. He was often told that he looked like his mother, whom he didn’t even remember, and nothing like his father, although he wished he did. James was small and slight, with jet black hair and grey-blue eyes, just like his mother’s. His father, on the other hand, was tall and muscular, with dark blond hair and deep green eyes. The both of them wore nothing but simple peasant’s clothing; James, a pair of brown shorts, a dirty white shirt and sandals; his father, a green tunic, brown pants and heavy boots.

James and glanced at the sky, contemplating the myriad of stars overhead, thinking about his mother and sister. They were up there, somewhere. Or at least, that’s what James’ father had told him when James brought up the subject. His father was always very aloof when they talked about the two women, and he’d always try to change the subject.

The young boy turned to his dad, a question on his tongue.

“Dad, what really happened to mom and Theresa?” he inquired, hoping to get more than a vague answer this time around.

His father sighed, then said in an exasperated tone,

“James, I thought we had been over this before; that subject is not to be brought up. But if you must know, they died years ago, you know that. Now, it’s getting late, and you should be in bed. Let those fireflies go and come along.”

He rose, and began to walk down the hill. James unscrewed the jar and watched as the fireflies hummed away…He sighed, and followed his father. Another failed attempt, he though, just as the last of the nightingale songs died away.

B

blu phoenix

Re: A Fable Tale: This being an account of one James Hunter...

Very nice! Please keep writing and +rep. Very well done.;)

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Nicely written and good first proper post on the boards +rep

B

Black Dahlia

Chapter 2...

4 years later…

James looked up from the wood he was chopping, wiping the sweat away from his brow. He had been at it for hours now, chopping timber relentlessly. Winter was fast approaching, and James’ father wanted to be sure they had enough firewood to last them for the brutally cold season ahead.
He eyed the mound of wood in front of him, and decided that he was done for the day. James picked up his axe, and, resting it on his shoulder, headed for his house at the top of the hill, kicking up the dead, crackling leaves as he went. The path was covered with them, a sure sign that winter was on their doorsteps. Just as he was about to step into his house, James heard someone call his name. It was Aidan Crowley, the man in charge of watching the three large barns that were the highlight of the town. There, all the supplies such as wheat, barley and tools were stored, to be kept away from prying eyes and thieving hands.
Aidan was waving his hands madly, trying to get his attention. James wandered over to him, casually swinging his axe.
“How can I help you, Aidan?” James asked, sounding falsely cheery, yet still feeling somewhat annoyed. Nobody really liked Aidan. He was a grumpy man, in his late forties and aging badly. He never smiled and only saw fit to talk to people in a rude manner.
“Don’t give me that attitude boy,” he snarled, “just get over here. And stop swinging that stupid axe; you’ll cut someone’s leg off.”
“Preferably yours,” James muttered furiously to himself.
“Now stay here and watch these barns,” Aidan snapped, “Don’t move, and then you can leave when I get back.”
“Yes, Master,” James said in an undertone.
“What did you say, boy?” Aidan roared.
“Nothing,” James said hurriedly, “I’d be happy to help.”
“Humph. Well then, get working.” Aidan eyed James one last time, then turned on his heels and strode away.
James watched the man tramp along the path, glaring at his back darkly and crossing his arms. This was not how he wanted to spend the rest of his day. James wanted to be down at the docks, helping Victor Morgan with his new three mast ship. But that would obviously have to wait until tomorrow. James sighed heavily. At least his father would be pleased with him for helping someone out, even if it was Aidan Crowley.
James sat himself down on the hard packed dirt just in front of the barns, preparing for a long wait. The warm sun and gentle breeze made him feel drowsy, and just as he was nodding off he heard two voices emanating from behind him. It was probably just two drunken men who had wandered into the bush, although the voices didn’t sound drunk, and James’ curiosity was piqued in any case. He stood up, hoping to hear them more clearly, but that didn’t work. Instead, he dropped into a crouch and crept between two of the largest barns, towards the voices, straining his ears to hear exactly what they said.
“…an’ I don’t care that Twinblade told us to kill no one, an’ just find the boy. I says we kill all the villagers, capture their women, an’ spare the boys until we’ve decided which boy is the one, then kill the rest an’ pillage the town. Simple as that, an’ much easier than letting ‘em all live.”
James froze, staring at the sight in front of him. Two rough looking bandits stood there, arguing angrily. The rogue that had just spoken was large and muscular, with a strong, jutting jaw and harsh voice. His companion, however, was completely the opposite. He was small and slight, no sign of muscle on his scrawny body. He had a smooth, slippery voice that James disliked the minute he heard it.
“But Twinblade told us to kill no one!” he hissed, looking angry and worried at the same time, “He said to only scare them enough to hand the boy over!”
“I don’t care,” the large bandit growled, “me an’ the mates decided that we en’t doin’ what he said, an’ we’re goin’ with a traditional killin’ raid, no questions asked. We’ll strike tonight, when everyone’ll be out.”
James felt his heart beating harder and his throat tightening in panic. Tonight was the first night of the Harvest Fayre, and everyone from Oakvale would be in attendance. And the traders too…James’ knees went weak, but he managed to creep backwards and out of earshot of the bandits, who were obviously doing a bad job of lying in wait for this evening’s raid. He then leaped up and tore down the path as fast as he could, frantically searching for his father. James, being so preoccupied with finding his dad, failed to notice Aidan, who was making his way back down the main path, and collided with him, toppling the man and nearly knocking himself down. Aidan went into a fit, yelling and swearing at the top of his lungs, but James was louder.
“Aidan,” he bellowed, still trying to catch his breath, “Aidan, there was a pair of bandits back there, behind the barns, and they were talking about a raid on our village tonight, and how they’re going to kill the villagers and take a boy and…”
“Stop, just stop!” Aidan cried, covering his ears and cutting James off, “I’ve no idea why the bloody hell you’re panicking! There’s not been a raid on Oakvale in over twenty years! And besides, there are enough guards here during the harvest season that even if, by some wild, improbable chance there was a raid, we’d be safe! Not that I believe it will even happen. Probably something you’re just making up. Kids these days…”
And he continued on the path, muttering darkly to himself. James looked around, furious. Why wasn’t he being listened to? Just because there hadn’t been a raid in years didn’t mean it couldn’t happen now. The festival would be a prime time to plan an attack, due to all the people and goods that would be hanging around. He kicked a nearby oak tree violently, yelling in fury. He needed to calm down, though, and think clearly. Maybe he was getting too worked up. It was probably nothing, just some bandits who had moseyed away from camp and were casually throwing words around…Besides, James had to get ready for the fayre, and didn’t have time to worry about something that was probably nothing. Although he did still want to know who the boy they wanted to capture was…and deep down in his heart, James Hunter knew something wasn’t right…

L

LionHeadTex

I think it's really lame that not that many people are reading these great fan fictions. I think they're gifts, because I get to read all of them for free...and they're awesome :lol:

Good job!

B

Black Dahlia

Yeah, that's true...here's Chapter 3.

The dancing flames of the roaring fire cast eerie, flickering shadows across the bard standing in the middle of a large group of people. He was clad in the deepest of blacks and reds, giving him a slightly sinister air. The song he sang, however, was anything but.

Once, long ago
In a land far away
A man far too slow
And of prospects too grey
Set sail on the tide
His fortune change

And hard as he tried
Although this sounds odd
He could never decided
On a name for his dog

Now I warned you friend
As I often do,
That these tales do tend
To take a path anew

Where this once started out
About a man and his fate
It’s now turned about
To mankind’s best mate!

The story ended with a chorus of laughter from the crowd, and slowly, James felt himself relaxing and enjoying the festivities. Amid all of the good cheer and laughter, the thought that a raid could occur seemed a joke. It would never happen, James assured himself, and left it at that.
He got up from the fire and strolled towards the village square, where a jumble of colourful stalls had been set up by the various villagers and traders. A thousand scents drifted through the air; roasted hazelnuts, sweet apples, fresh blueberry pies, and frying meat…James couldn’t even name them all. Around him, people chatted happily with friends old and new, some doing trade, others simply catching up on old times. The atmosphere was light hearted, so much so that it pushed any lasting thoughts of a raid out of James’ mind.
He glanced around, searching out his father. He found him talking to an odd looking trader in front of a particularly flamboyant stall. The trader looked a lot tougher than the usual wimpy men that took up that way of life. Well, James thought, there is always the odd one out…
James walked up to his father, patiently waiting for him to finish his conversation. When he was done, he turned to his son, contemplating him with inquisitive eyes.
“What is it, son?” he asked.
“I was just wondering if I could go to Barrow Fields for a little while. I won’t be long.”
His father looked somewhat uneasy.
“Well, I’d rather you didn’t…” he glanced at his son’s pleading face, “but, as long as you promise to be careful, I suppose it’s alright.”
“Thanks dad!” James ran off down the path, but stopped, turning back towards his father, a question on his tongue. But the scene that met his eyes rendered him speechless, and would haunt his dreams for many years to come. In the trader’s hand was a thin, glittering object, and both James and his father had noticed a moment to late that it was a dagger. In a flash, the trader had plunged the weapon into his father’s stomach. He bent double, choked with pain, and then collapsed, his blood pooling on the ground around him. The trader retrieved his dagger from James’ father’s body. But it was not a trader; no, it was a bandit, and with a jolt of recognition, James realized it was the large, brutish one he had seen lurking behind the barns. He felt panicky and shocked. Why had no one listened to him? He had been right in thinking the raid would come, and now it had, he was sure of it.
James ran towards the center of the town, hoping to get to his father’s body and warn everyone, but found it hard to get through the crowd. In no time, the village was in an uproar. People pushed and shoved to see what was going on, trying to force their way to the front. But their eagerness suddenly turned to panic, as a volley of jet black arrows swiftly flew through the air, striking down several of the villagers. Those still standing immediately ran for cover, trying to barricade themselves in their homes, the shops, and even the barns, anything to save themselves from this new threat. At that moment, dozens of bandits ran out from the bushes and from behind buildings, whooping, yelling and brandishing deadly swords, bows and axes. A few carried flaming torches, and threw them at the houses, laughing insanely as the flammable thatch caught fire. The villagers tried to escape their burning homes, but couldn’t out run the wild flames, and were soon consumed by the blazes.
James backed away, his head whipping this was and that. It had all happened so quickly…He turned tail and ran, but instead of passing through the gates to Barrow Fields, he turned up the path and towards the covered bridge. Once there, he peered out over the village, watching with dismay as, building by building, person by person, his village was destroyed. Piercing screams and the raucous yells of the bandits filled the evening air, adding to the horrific seen in front of him.
James tore down the path, desperately wanting to do something, but not knowing what. On his was, he passed Aidan Crowley, who was laying spread eagle on his back, a bloody wound on his chest. Well, James thought, at least some good has come of this raid.
He continued on, sticking to the areas that weren’t bandit infested. The screams of pain and fear were only becoming more frequent, scaring James even more. He stopped in front of the barns, which were burnt badly, the walls crumbling in many places. The contents had been stolen, and all that was left were the bodies of some burned villagers. Lying in the dirt, glittering in the dying light of the sun, was James’ axe, right where he had left it. He stooped and picked it up, tossing it from one hand to another. This would do nicely.
James heard a rustle in the bushes beside him, and out leapt a bandit, sword raised, a terrible grin on his face. He brought his sword down, but James was too quick, and the rogue missed, his sword driving into the ground. He tugged and pulled, struggling with the weapon, trying to get it out, but it was too late for him. With one mighty swing, James slashed through the man’s neck, beheading him and sending him crashing to the ground. James stumbled back in surprise, trying to steady himself. He didn’t know he could do that. His heart pounded painfully, like a tiny, fluttering bird trying to escape from his body. He took a few deep breaths, and carried on, now more sure of his abilities.
Then, from inside a house, James heard the plaintive cries of a trapped child. He ran to the door, but found it blocked by a body. It was a woman, clearly the mother of the house. She had been stabbed in the stomach, and, as a result, the blood seeped out of her mouth, running down to her ears and giving her the appearance of having a bloody, macabre grin. James shivered. He hated this, all the killing, but one teenage boy could do nothing to stop that.
Trying to avoid the blood, James gingerly moved her body out of the way, stepping into the gloom. Curiously, this house had not even been burnt, unlike the rest of them. The child cried out again, this time sounding closer.
James entered a windowless room, the only light coming from a candle. Huddled in the corner, eyes wide with fear, was a little boy. And he wasn’t alone. Standing behind him, bow drawn, was a bandit. James heard scuffling feet behind, and whipped around. Another bandit stood in the doorway, mace raised, poised to strike if need be.
James felt a knot form in his stomach. A trap, he thought angrily, a bloody trap, and I just fell for it. He stood there, frozen with terror, not knowing what to do. The bandits advanced towards him, and then it suddenly hit James. They weren’t going to kill him…only capture him. He was the boy the two thugs had been talking about, and so they had lured James into the house, relying on his selflessness and desire to help others to get him here.
They were almost upon him, evil smirks upon their faces, when, suddenly, the bandit in the doorway gave a screech of pain, falling to the ground. His back was seared, all the skin burnt away. Now, standing in the entryway, was the most formidable man James had ever seen. He was aged, but showed no signs of having weakened because of it. He was clothed in a purple cloak, heavy boots and green fingerless gloves. In his hands was an intricately engraved staff. The stranger’s face, which was covered in odd, glowing tattoos, bore a serious, yet powerful expression, suggesting that he was somewhat not to be crossed. Judging by the Will he had just used, he was a Mage, and an excellent one at that.
The bandit with the bow cowered, knowing that there was no where to run. Without a word, the man crossed the room and struck down the bandit with ease, as if he had been nothing but a fly. He then turned towards James, who was standing in the middle of the room with a mixed expression of disbelief and trepidation on his face.
“There’s no point standing there, looking like you’ve never seen anyone killed before, boy. Now follow me. We have to get you somewhere safe.”
He left through the door, motioning for James to follow. He trailed him reluctantly, upset at having his life turned upside down so quickly. They passed the site of James’ father’s murder, and the boy hesitated, not wanting to leave so quickly.
“Wait!” he called to the Mage ahead of him, “I need a moment.”
The man twisted around, and, seeing the dead body on the ground, understood what was going on. He nodded but said,
“Don’t be long. It’s not safe here, and the longer we wait, the more likely it is you’ll end up dead.”
To James, his words seemed somewhat cold, but this wasn’t exactly a cheery situation, so he ignored it. He paced up to his fathers prone form, falling to his knees when he laid eyes on him. Tears poured down James’ cheeks, and he was glad that the stranger was out of earshot, so that he couldn’t hear the poor boy’s sobs of despair. In his grieving, he failed to notice yet another bandit sneaking up to him, trying to snatch James away. Nevertheless, this one didn’t get close enough, as the Mage sent an arc of lightning in his direction, slaying the outlaw instantly.
“Can’t you even watch your own back?” the stranger asked disapprovingly, a frown on his face. “In any case, if you’re done, it’s time to go. You don’t need to bring anything. Just give me your hand.”
James stretched out his hand hesitatingly, gripping the Mage’s much larger one, and unexpectedly, he felt a tingle go up and down his spine. All around the pair of them, a light blue mist shimmered and flickered, and before he knew it, James was teleported away, to a new home, and a new life…

B

Black Dahlia

Well, here's part one of chapter 4. Sorry if some of the sailing terms don't make sense, but I couldn't find any simpler words to replace them...enjoy!

Chapter 4

A few days before the raid…

Briar Rose stood on one of the ship’s sturdy yardarms, looking out over the glittering sea, one hand shielding her eyes from the glaring sun, the other loosely clasping a thick rope. A gentle, salty breeze blew through her chin length black hair, tugging at her loose tunic and simple sailor’s trousers.

She had been sailing on the SV Archon Castle for the past few weeks, along with her mother, father and a crew of 16 able-bodied sailors. It had taken her much begging and persuading to get her aboard the impressive barque, as her father seemed to have issues with young women sailing the dangerous seas that surrounded Albion. Yet during her time on the ship, Briar had proved herself more than capable of doing anything the crew assigned her. From important jobs like navigating the Archon Castle and unfurling the broad sails, down to the smallest jobs like swabbing the deck and polishing the silver, she had been eager to do it all, so long as it meant she was sailing.

Briar looked down at the deck below, observing the crew as they scurried back and forth, carrying out the commands the captain was shouting from the quarterdeck. The skipper was an impressive man whom everybody respected, yet no one dared cross. He stood at the helm, his sharp eyes trained on the horizon, scanning out rebellious pirate ships and deadly squalls, all the while keeping track of the crew. Briar’s parents were below decks in the fo’c’sle, no doubt trying to avoid the sun. No body paid her any mind; they had forgotten about the slight girl standing among the sails, so absorbed were they in their work. Time for some fun, she thought, grinning to herself. Earlier in the day, while the crew was on a short break, she had noticed some of the men had taken to flipping off the yardarms backwards, plunging into the deep sea below, then hauling themselves, soaking wet, onto the main deck, only to clamber up the rigging and do it all over again. This obviously was their idea of fun, and to her, it sure looked it. Briar Rose had wanted to join in on the merriment, but her parents were watching, sensing her intentions, and she wasn’t in the mood to get into a row with them over something like that. Now however, with no one watching her, she was free to do as she wanted.

Standing with her back to the water, Briar took a deep breath in, and then vaulted herself off the yardarm, arching backwards and throwing her arms out to steady her flip. She plummeted through the brackish air, relishing the feeling of freefalling. The sensation was cut short however, when, abruptly, Briar splashed into the briny deep, resurfacing seconds later. Using one of the bulky ropes left hanging over the deck’s edge, she heaved herself up onto the Archon Castle, shaking sparkling water droplets from her clothes and hair. Now she understood why the crew members enjoyed doing it so much. The feeling of freedom it gave was like no other! But then, straining her ears, Briar heard the sound of her father’s deep voice coming up from the fo’c’sle, getting closer, and in a flurry of activity, she scuttled up one of the ratlines, hiding behind the main upper topsail. Her father, thankfully, had not noticed her, and Briar relaxed, slumping into one of the many shrouds that hung like hammocks from the yardarms. Something, however, seemed wrong. She felt the hairs go up on the back of her neck, and the wind, which before had been so pleasant, seemed to take on a chilling, threatening air. Deep in her soul, Briar felt a terrible pain that made her want to scream with insanity. Briar was confused, not understanding what it was. And then, with a sinking heart and chill in her bones, she realized what it was. Pirates. The Pirates of the Black Brethren. An elite band of buccaneers, only they had the power to instil such a terrifying feeling in the souls of every man and woman who sailed the sea. Few ever escaped their attacks, and those lucky few who weren’t slaughtered were press ganged into slavery for them.

Briar opened her mouth to warn the crew, but found herself unable to utter a word. It wouldn’t have mattered anyway. The rest of the crew had sensed the Pirates of the Black Brethren’s presence as well, and had frozen on the spot, all jobs forgotten. Even Captain Rigel Drummond, who never seemed to become distracted, stood in terror, his duties oblivious to him now.

As if coming out of trance, Briar suddenly returned to her senses. The rest of the ship was coming to as well, and all of the sudden, the deck became a confusion of voices and bodies; sailors shouting across the barque to one another, weapons being tossed to every man jack, and men chanting “two, six, heave!” as they struggled to hoist the anchor. It had been a bad idea to lay anchor in the middle of the sea, regardless of whether the crew needed a rest. Briar silently slid down one of the rat lines, searching around for any discarded weapons. There was no way she was going to be left defenceless. If she had to die, she’d die fighting.

Briar spotted an abandoned cutlass, wedged into the mizzenmast. With a huge effort, she tugged it out, falling backwards against the railing. Picking herself up, Briar looked around, noticing her father readying himself with nothing but a simple cutlass and a marlinespike, all the while trying to convince his wife to go below decks. Her mother refused, Briar assumed, judging by the obstinate look on her face; one that Briar herself had inherited.

An eerie silence settled over the Archon Castle, and Briar could sense the tenseness of everyone on the barque. Feet shuffled uncomfortably, and the odd dry cough could be heard. There was nothing they could do but wait for the inevitable. Suddenly, the bo’sun, who had quietly crept up the rigging, gave a cry of alarm. Everybody’s eyes travelled to where he was pointing with a trembling finger. Along the starboard side, a group of vicious, ragged looking pirates was pulling itself over the Archon Castle’s railing, cutlasses and knives clenched in their rotting teeth, axes on their backs. The crew backed away, but found themselves cut off by more pirates boarding from the port side. They were trapped, hemmed in on both sides by the rogues. But the captain refused to see his ship be taken so easily, and with a mighty roar, he drew his naval sabre, brandishing it in the air for all to see. All at once, the rest of the crew sprang into action, eager to defend the SV Archon Castle. At the same time, the pirates threw themselves at the crew. With a deafening sound, the two parties clashed, steel clanging against steel, cries of rage and pain ensuing.

Briar recklessly plunged into the fray, avoiding deadly blows from both sides, keeping a sharp eye out for any pirates who might come her way. Unexpectedly, a hand grabbed her roughly by the hair, pulling her head backwards and exposing her throat. She winced in pain and fear, realizing the pirate holding her down intended to slit her throat. He raised his knife, preparing to strike, but Briar was quicker. Flipping the cutlass in her grip, she jabbed it backwards, running the man through. He collapsed onto the deck, a prone form among the mass of confused, agitated bodies. Briar stepped back from his body, surprised by what she had done. She didn’t think herself capable of that. But she shook the thought from her head, knowing it could cost her her life if she was distracted.

Beside her, another pirate fell to the blade of one of the crewmen, and farther ahead, on the quarter deck, Rigel Drummond fought off two particularly fierce looking pirates. Her parents were no where to be seen, but Briar Rose wasn’t worried about them right now.

Another pirate took a swing at her, but she parried his blow, knocking his blade to the side. Without hesitating, she slashed at his chest, felling him easily. Another rogue came up behind her, whipping a thick, knotted rope at her head. Briar ducked, and kicked his legs out from under him. Before he could rise, she smashed his face with the hilt of her cutlass, knocking him out. Briar dragged him unceremoniously to the edge of the deck, hauling him over the railing and tossing him into the swirling, angry waves below. She did not stay long enough to see him hit the water, however, because another problem soon became evident. The captain, who was right in the middle of the fray, fighting valiantly, had left the wheel unguarded. As such, no one was holding the ship steady, and she was steering off course. With a sinking feeling, Briar remembered the charts she had been viewing not but a few hours previously with Captain Drummond. Straight ahead was a seamount, those volcanic ridges that grew up from the bottom of the sea floor and posed a threat for any ship that came across one. If the SV Archon Castle struck it, she’d be sure to sink.

Briar sprinted to the quarterdeck where the wheel was situated, shoving people out of the way, whether they were friend or foe. Standing in front of the wheel, she grasped it, one hand on top, the other two thirds of the way around, and spun it with all her might, letting the wheel slide under her grasp. It spun all the way around, stopping when Briar clamped down hard. The barque lurched violently to one side, her bow pointing away from the seamount. The sudden movement, however, had sent everyone aboard flying, only to fall, groaning in pain, against the port side railing. Yet Briar feared it wasn’t enough, that she had been too late. She shut her eyes tight, clinging on to the wheel, expecting the terrible feeling of the hull being ripped apart by the seamount to knock her off her feet and send her to her doom…but nothing happened. The SV Archon Castle continued to sail peacefully along, as if nothing had ever occurred.

With a glowing feeling of pride, Briar Rose realized she had just saved the crew from what certainly would have been the end of them all. The pirates, nevertheless, were still a problem. Everyone was still struggling to their feet, except Briar, who had used the helm to stay steady. Using this to her advantage, she tore down the stairs, picking up a sabre at the foot of the steps. The pirate closest to her was still pulling himself to his feet, using the balustrade for support. With a deft stroke, Briar hacked at his back, sending him flying over the edge into the deadly sea below. A few of her crewmates had managed to drag themselves up from the floor, and began doing the same, lashing out at the pirates, and then shoving them into the water. By the time everybody else had managed to stand up, the pirates were badly outnumbered, some having fallen during the scrimmage, some having succumbed to being thrown overboard. The pirates, realizing they stood no chance, abandoned ship, diving into the sea before the crew members could stop them. So much for the fierce Pirates of the Black Brethren. But it hardly mattered. They had won. For the first time in history, the Pirates of the Black Brethren had been defeated. All at once, the crew gave a great cheer, throwing hats, bandanas, shirts-anything at all-into the air in celebration. They would be hailed as heroes for years to come, and they knew it.

B

Black Dahlia

The crew crowded around Briar Rose, congratulating her on saving them from certain death, but she wasn’t listening. All she saw was her father, crouched over the prone figure of her mother. With a tight feeling in her throat and tears filling her eyes, she stumbled across the deck to where her parents were. Briar’s father kneeled on the deck, clinging on to her mother, talking to her and trying to revive her, but to no avail. She was dead and lost to them forever. She had struck her head on a sharp edge of the railing, and it had punctured her temple, killing her instantly. Suddenly, Briar felt sick. If she hadn’t manoeuvred the ship so violently, this would never have happened. But if she hadn’t done anything, they would all have been dead. Nevertheless, it did nothing to calm Briar’s feeling of self blame. She felt like a huge piece of herself had been torn out suddenly and violently, leaving her cold and empty and filled with anguish. This shouldn’t have happened, and it was all her fault. No it’s not, a little voice said in the back of her mind, it was an accident. How could you have known this would happen? But Briar pushed that thought from her mind, angry at herself for trying to find an excuse. All around her, the happy mood of the crew, the joking, laughing and joyous feelings seemed obscene and separate from her; it seemed to be a different world all together. She felt numb, disjointed from reality.

Her father ignored her, shunned her, silently blaming her for the death of his dear wife. His quiet anger and blame was too much for her to bear. Briar stood up, and, tears streaming down her face, fled towards the fo’c’sle, wanting nothing more than to be alone…

H

HodgePodge

very nice fanfic, extremely well written ;)

B

Black Dahlia

Part 2 of Chapter 4...I know this is a long chapter, but I've wanting to do a long one for a long while...Enjoy!

That same evening, after the attack…

Briar sat quietly on the top most yardarm, her back against the foremast, one leg drawn up to her knee, the other dangling freely over the edge. The entire day had been an absolute mess, first with the pirate’s raid, then the death of her mother. Her father had not said a word to her all day, still furious with her over what had happened. Briar now dreaded arriving back in Bowerstone North, where her family lived. She’d have to put up with her father then, and wouldn’t be able to avoid him. She stared sadly off into the clear blue sky, trying to push all the terrible thoughts and emotions from her mind.

So preoccupied was she that she didn’t hear the sound of the first mate, Azmyth, clamber skilfully up the ratline to where she sat, sitting himself down comfortably next to her. Azmyth had been first mate of the SV Archon Castle since her maiden voyage, despite his young age. He was tall and lean, with messy, brown dreadlocks and an odd red tattoo that ran the length of his arm. His hands and feet were badly calloused from years of climbing the rigging. Briar always thought he looked remarkably like a pirate, but refrained from telling him so, knowing it would hurt his pride in his appearance. For a long while, the two of them simply sat there in silence, watching as the setting sun cast brilliant hues of red, orange and yellow across the cloudless sky. Then, Azmyth finally spoke up.

“I hope you’re not going to blame yourself for what happened today,” he said gently, no trace of anger in his voice at all.

Briar blinked in surprise. Why wasn’t he angry with her? He had every right to be, after all. Earlier in the day, after the pirate attack, Azmyth had been ordering the crew around, as the Captain was occupied with other things. He had asked Briar to set the upper topsails, as they were planning to change course, heading to land. Briar, still in a furious mood and not feeling like work, had finally snapped.

“Set your own goddamn upper topsails!” she had said angrily. After a short row between the two of them, Briar had ended up setting the upper topsails after all.

She tore herself from her thoughts, coming back to the present.

“Too late for that, I’ve already blamed myself. It was my fault after all; I should never have steered the ship so violently. Besides, it doesn’t matter whether I’ve blamed myself or not; it’s my dad I have to worry about. He’s decided it was my fault and there’s nothing anyone can do to change that.”

“It’s not your fault, the whole crew agrees with that. They would have done the exact same thing in your place, and many of them have had years of experience. And as for your father, I’d say he needs to smarten up. No one deserves to be treated the way he’s treating you.”

He paused, and then said,

“The Captain wants us to set the upper topsails again.”

Briar didn’t respond. She simply watched as the sun finally disappeared behind distant the horizon. All that could be heard were the waves lapping up against the wooden hull of the ship as she made progress towards the main land. After a stretch of silence, Azmyth spoke up again.

“I say he should set his own goddamn upper topsails.”

The evening of the raid on Oakvale, in Bowerstone North…

Briar sat at her redwood desk, reading a large, leather bound book entitled The Heroes Guild, a book about the whole history of the Guild to date. She had spent the days since she had been home hidden in her room, absorbed in her books, carefully avoiding her father, and only joining him for silent meals, in which neither of them uttered a word. Her father was still furious with her, but she tried her hardest to ignore him, although on the odd occasion, she did snap at him or throw a sarcastic comment his way, only rendering him even more livid.

It was evening, and the sky was the darkest of blacks, only broken up by the flakes of soft, cold snow that fluttered and tumbled from the sky. It seemed like right after Briar’s voyage, the weather had changed dramatically, as it often did in Albion. At first, the weather had been warm, as it usually was in fall in this country, but then the next day it had turned a bitter cold, accompanied by a short snow fall. Just as Briar looked up to admire the glittering snow, her father burst into her room, clearly in a rage.

“WHY THE HELL ARE YOU STILL IN YOUR ROOM, READING THOSE BLASTED BOOKS?” he roared, making Briar cringe and shrink back. “Your mother’s dead, and we’re trying to plan her funeral! But all you can do is hole yourself up in your room, and not bother to help! Typical, just typical! Can’t even look beyond your own nose!”

“But, father…I was just…I didn’t think…”

“Of course you didn’t think! You never do, do you?” he yelled, even more furious now.

Briar felt the jab at her pride and intelligence sting her emotionally. She thought a lot, being quite an bright young woman, but she didn’t dare voice that notion.

“You know what? I’ve had enough of this! First you kill my beloved wife, then you spurn her memory by not even helping with the funeral, and on top of that, you insist upon being moody and insolent! And I won’t stand for it anymore! You’re leaving this house, and I don’t want to ever see your sorry face near this place again! Have I made myself clear?”

Briar sat in absolute shock, not wanting to believe what she was hearing. Kick her out? How could he do such a thing to his own daughter? She felt numb and lost. Where would she go? Briar was the child of a noble man, not some street urchin. She wouldn’t be able to survive…

Taking her silence and shock as a sign of resistance, Briar’s father grabbed her by the scruff of the neck and proceeded to drag her out of her room and towards the wide front door. She kicked and protested, drawing concerned looks from the maids and menservants that strode down the halls, going about their business. Her father wrenched open the front door, throwing her down on the snowy cobblestones roughly, slamming the door shut before Briar could even rise to her feet. When she did, she threw herself at the door, screaming and crying to be let back in. Why had he done that? She didn’t deserve this kind of treatment, no human did. But in that instant, Briar realized that this was the true nature of things, the true nature of human beings. She had been falsely led to believe that the world was a fairly kind place, and that, no matter the hardships, everything would eventually be okay. How wrong she had been. The world, clearly, was a cruel place, and she should have known that. It was naïve to believe otherwise, she reasoned.

Briar slid to the ground, sobbing. The sorrow of the past few days was just to much to bear. She crouched on the freezing cobbles, weeping even harder, as the snow drifted and swirled and danced around her, blending Briar into the cold night air ,erasing her from the memories of her father…

H

HodgePodge

Very nice work, keep it comin' ^_^

G

Grim Reefa

nice +rep

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

An excellent fan fiction - check your user cp for special reputation...:ninja:

B

Black Dahlia

Here's part 1 of chapter 5...it's short, but that's because I'll be adding 2 or 3 other parts. Enjoy!

Chapter 5

James shivered in the freezing evening air, arms crossed firmly over his chest, teeth chattering madly, almost comically. Snow fell gently on his bare arms and legs, giving him gooseflesh. It had been snowing since the beginning of the raid, but James had been too distraught by the sudden death of his father, and later, his abrupt removal from home, that he hadn’t even noticed.

The Mage standing beside him seemed not to notice the cold, or the snow. He simply stood there, as if waiting for something. For a minute it looked as if he might say something, but it was clearly just James’ imaginings. He looked around, taking note of a strange, large statue in front of him. One stony arm was extended, almost as if pointing a traveller towards the Heroes Guild. Or maybe pointing me towards it, thought James with a chill.

Just as James was about to open his mouth to ask the stranger what was going on, the man spoke up in his deep voice.

“Where I am about to take you is called the Heroes Guild, although I am sure you have already heard of it.”

James nodded silently. His father had told him many stories about the Guild ever since his narration of the Tale of Quickblade.

“There, you will train to become a Hero, should you prove worthy to stay with us. My name is Maze, by the way, and I’m the head of the Heroes Guild. However, I won’t be taking you there straight away, as I have something to attend to, which must be done before getting you settled in at the Guild. I won’t be long, but you need to stay here and not go anywhere.”

James stared at him incredulously. First, he drags him away from his home, and then he expects him to sit here in the freezing cold? He couldn’t believe it. Yet before he could protest, Maze had disappeared in that strange blue haze, slowly fading from view until he was no more.

James stood there for a moment, before recalling there were four benches that surrounded the statue, each one perfectly positioned on each of the cardinal points. He dropped himself down onto one and buried his head in his hands, finally having time to think about all that had happened today. Why did this have to happen to him? He was nothing but a simple village boy, who had done nothing to deserve losing his father and his home. At the thought of his father, James felt tears well up in his eyes. But then he remembered what his father had said to him once, when someone had deeply hurt his feelings and he wanted nothing more than to hide away.

“In the face of adversity, you must continue nonetheless,” he had stated.

James knew that it would be a disgrace to his father’s memory by moping around, doing nothing but feeling sorry for himself. He immediately felt shameful, understanding that this was one of those times his father would want him to continue on, despite the hardships. James wiped the tears from his eyes, taking a steadying breath to calm himself. Nothing more to do now than to wait for Maze’s return. He leaned back against the bench, gazing up at the star filled sky, lingering on the familiar memories of home.

N

ninjasouth

Holy monkey! that's a good one dood! +rep

B

Black Dahlia

Here's part 2 of chapter 5...more parts to follow. Don't hesitate to tell me what you think.

The cold wind whipped about Briar’s face, pulling thin strands of black hair across her face. She stood at the edge of a precipitous cliff that overlooked the angry, steel coloured sea. It seemed to reflect the feelings she had inside, almost as if it knew the hardships she had been through.

Right now, however, she left her mind a blank, simply staring bitterly off to the horizon. The full moon that night had made it easy for Briar to find her way through the city, and out of the gates. She had decided at the moment of her abandonment that she would not stay in Bowerstone at all, and, if she had to, she’d travel until she found someplace where she could settle. For now though, all she wanted was to be alone, and have some time to not have to think about anything, not have to feel anything except the wind on her face and the snow on her skin.

Suddenly, Briar felt the hairs on the back of her neck stand on end, and she had the horrible feeling that she was no longer alone. She whipped around, ready to defend herself. There was no need to, of course, when she saw who it was.

Standing right in front of her, his light blue eyes shining in the moonlight, was Maze. Although they weren’t on particularly personal terms, she had spoken to him occasionally while he was in the city for various important causes concerning the Guild. There could be only one reason why he was here now. He wanted to drag her off to the Guild to train to be a Hero, exactly the opposite of what she wanted to do.

Briar clenched her fists, trying to suppress her anger. Why did adults have to always control her life? She wasn’t ready to be surrounded by people just yet. Briar wanted nothing more than a break from it all. Maze, however, seemed to have other plans.

“You probably already know why I am here, and before you even open your mouth to object, I need you to listen. What you are surely planning on doing is much too dangerous. I have lived in Albion long enough to know that trying to find your place in the world at your age would be the worst decision you could make. The only place it will get you is laying dead in an alley with a dagger in your back, mark my words. It would be wise to come with me, where you can find safe haven at the Guild.”

Briar scowled, knowing he was right and hating him all the more for it. His bluntness, however, shocked her. It was hardly making her feel any better, yet it got the point across. She realized it was stupid of her to think that she could survive on her own in this cruel world. Her mind suddenly made up, she unclenched her fists and gave a sigh of defeat.

“Very well then,” Briar muttered, “I’ll come. But I’m not saying I’ll enjoy it.”

“Well, that’s your choice to make, not mine, “he responded, extending his hand to her, “Now take my hand and we can depart.”

Briar did just that, grasping his hand and disappearing in the odd blue mist that came about when teleporting.

The pair reappeared far away from the sea, next to an odd, pointing statue. Briar suddenly realized that she was not at the Guild, as promised, but at Lookout Point. Standing right in front of her, looking both surprised and annoyed, was a scrawny peasant boy. This was too much. What was he doing here? Surely he wasn’t going to be training with her…

B

Black Dahlia

Here's the final part of chapter 5...enjoy!

James stared incredulously at the girl who now stood next to Maze, a somewhat disdainful expression spread across her otherwise pretty face. This was why Maze left him in the freezing cold? So he could go fetch some snobby, spoiled brat from Bowerstone North, when it could have waited until tomorrow? For a second time that night, James was dumbfounded.

Despite the disdain, she seemed shell-shocked herself, and very upset too. Wasn’t she happy to be coming to the Guild? Or maybe she was displeased at being dragged away from a life of luxury. Either way, it didn’t matter to James. This night was turning out to be a nightmare, and he very much disliked it.

“Now, as I am sure you two have figured out, you will be training together at the Heroes Guild. But before either of you complain, I would like for the two of you to swallow your tongues and listen. Both of you have been through terrible ordeals, that much is true.” Briar and James looked at each other, scepticism plain on their faces. “However, that does not mean you two are free to rip each other to shreds over it. I don’t care if you come from different social classes; at the Guild, everyone is treated equal and we expect to keep it that way. So please, don’t make this any more difficult than it needs to be.”

At the same time, Briar and James opened their mouths to protest, but Maze, yet again, cut them across, knowing their intentions.

“Good Lord, I can tell this is going to be interesting having you two training together,” he remarked. “I’m almost wondering whether we’ll have to keep you separate from each other after all.”

And with that, he turned towards the path leading to the Heroes Guild, where the statue was pointing. Briar and James followed him, both of their minds troubled. They passed an odd, twisted looking tree, with peculiar runes inscribed in red ink scrawled over its aged bark.

Maze stopped abruptly, pausing just past the tree, looking up the path. Briar and James came to a halt as well, staring in wonder at the immense building standing before them. High stone walls stretched far away in either direction, and beyond the ramparts, lofty towers touched the sky. Beautiful stained glass windows reflected the gentle moonlight, and two broad oaken doors guarded the entrance to the edifice, the symbol of the Guild emblazoned on each one. Maze gave the two of them a few minutes to observe, and then led them towards the massive doors.

“This, as you can see, is the Guild,” he began, “you’ll be safe here, as it is near impossible for anyone to gain entrance without permission. I’ll introduce you to the Guildmaster, and then we will get you settled in.”

He pushed open one of the massive doors, leading them through the entrance. James felt the immediate relief of heat and security. Inside, the walls were made of stone as well, as were the floors, yet with the warm light cast from the candles flickering in their brackets, and the soft murmur of countless voices, the Guild seemed as comfortable as James’ own home. He didn’t care at all what the girl standing next to him thought…all he knew now was that he was extremely tired and wanted nothing more than to sleep. James sighed gently, almost inaudibly. Maybe he would like it here after all. Yet his thoughts were interrupted by Maze once again.

“I am going to leave you two here while I go get the Guildmaster,” he said, “And while I am gone, try not to tear each other apart.”

And with that, he departed through an arched doorway, leaving them in the massive, empty hall. Yet James didn’t feel completely alone. All around him, people chatted and laughed in rooms he couldn’t see, all of them clearly getting ready for a good night’s rest. To think that he would soon be joining them…

R

Rhadiel

how come i didnt see this? and Dahlia...i requested projectego to see if u can be in the
Librarian/Sage/ Writer/Author usergroup with blu, darg, and i....and the usergroup name is not chosen yet, and we dont even know if there will even be a usergroup like that :p

Zquad

The Widowmaker
Reaction score

Wow, not bad!! +rep

R

Rhadiel

i really like ur fanfic mate :p but...as part of the deal...i read ur...u read mine....click a link to one of my fanfics....plz comment :p btw...i need to rep u...