• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

A Freakin Horse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryu_the_fox

Reaction score
A Freakin Horse

We need to be able to buy horses, Customize the, and ride them.
And a horse shouldnt be like a dog. A horse should be able to be sold, replaced, and killed at any point of the game. With a horse, you could charge enemies and slice them while its running. You can Shoot from afar while mounted on a horse, or even use will abilites. It can provide protection from enemies at times. Of course you can'talways use a horse, there would be certain places a horse cant go into in which you have to walk on foot and leave your horse tied to a tree. You can also get good points for setting a horse free. A horse will be needed. Also, there can be different types of horses, just like weapons. Some would be faster and some would be slower. Some would be hard to time and some would be easier to tame(meaning that some might not always listen to you and go wild and run far while your riding and you fly out and get damage) Some horses can be good and evil (meaning that they will turn against you if you if try to kill something good and something evil). And of course there will be many colors and breeds. Horses could be rained for and etc...

I'd want a horse in fable... thats something it's missing...

A

Anon

Re: A Freakin Horse

Whilst a nice idea in theory generally mounts in RPGs are used to accelerate movement speed, something which I don't feel is an issue in Fable II. The combat ideas are neat, but would require an entire rework of the combat system aswell as an immense amount of extra animation and programming. In situations like this I think for Lionhead it's a case of weighing the amount it actually adds to the game vs the time it'd take to implement, and I don't think it'd be viable. That said mounts are always fun and it could work merely as a novelty item to ride around town, maybe have a couple of mini games linked to it ala the Shooting Range.

F

FiendFyre

That's actually a really awesome idea, I'd love to use a horse to get from A to B.
And the idea of being to use Ranged weapons from one is really good.
I also agree with the notion of being able to buy/sell them [although, personally, I wouldn't want to kill mines! XD], and being able to tie them or owning some sort of stable.
It would be great to have more customization with them too, such as saddles or riding bareback. Perhaps even sticking ribbons in its mane if you're into that sort of thing...

Great idea!

Ryu_the_fox

Reaction score

FiendFyre;328027 said:
That's actually a really awesome idea, I'd love to use a horse to get from A to B.
And the idea of being to use Ranged weapons from one is really good.
I also agree with the notion of being able to buy/sell them [although, personally, I wouldn't want to kill mines! XD], and being able to tie them or owning some sort of stable.
It would be great to have more customization with them too, such as saddles or riding bareback. Perhaps even sticking ribbons in its mane if you're into that sort of thing...

Great idea!

Lol when i said killing them i meant enemies killing them, forcing you to replace them. There can also be legenderay horses, like a unicorn or a a Pegasus, or evil satanic horses, that dont die.

Edit:
Anon;328005 said:
Whilst a nice idea in theory generally mounts in RPGs are used to accelerate movement speed, something which I don't feel is an issue in Fable II. The combat ideas are neat, but would require an entire rework of the combat system aswell as an immense amount of extra animation and programming. In situations like this I think for Lionhead it's a case of weighing the amount it actually adds to the game vs the time it'd take to implement, and I don't think it'd be viable. That said mounts are always fun and it could work merely as a novelty item to ride around town, maybe have a couple of mini games linked to it ala the Shooting Range.

A good game is born when the team for the game puts a lot of effort into it, even the littlest of things, so i dont see a reason not to put horses in with an immense amount of extra animations.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score

I think horses would be an awesome and realistic addition to Fable, and fighting while on a horse would be awesome. Has anyone here ever played the game Gun? I would hope that fighting with ranged weapons in Fable would be similar to the horseback combat in Gun. And I would also hope that they do a better job with using a melee weapon on a horse than the Assassin's Creed creators did. Don't get me wrong, Assassin's Creed is an awesome game, and I love playing it, but the sword combat on horseback sucks.

F

FiendFyre

Ryu_the_fox;328060 said:
Lol when i said killing them i meant enemies killing them, forcing you to replace them. There can also be legenderay horses, like a unicorn or a a Pegasus, or evil satanic horses, that dont die.

Lmao, my bad.
I guess enemies being able to kill them would be pretty realistic.
They'd be less personal than your dog, which I guess is a good thing.

Ryu_the_fox

Reaction score

FiendFyre;328204 said:
Lmao, my bad.
I guess enemies being able to kill them would be pretty realistic.
They'd be less personal than your dog, which I guess is a good thing.

They'd be treated as another type of item. Like melee weapons and ranged weapons... I guess you can buy a pen to keep extra horses.. And Im pretty sure you would need to feed em...

droded

I Am Awesome
Premium
Reaction score

Horses would be sweet, I can see it working the same way it worked in Oblivion - attacks aren't necessary to have a good time.

GaEv

Reaction score

the way that Fable levels are usually built it would be a lot easier to just walk around on foot.

SimonKalevra

Reaction score

I don't see it working, horses in Fable III.
Unless they make Fable III a free roam game instead of using reigons the horse would get more in the way than being of use.
Fallout 3 didn't have any means of transportation (except for teleport) and I think that worked really well.
Instead of blasting through the landscape on horseback I think it's better to walk, mostly because you discover so much more, on a horseback all the details are lost.

By the way the dog wouldn't be able to keep up...

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score

SimonKalevra;332220 said:
I don't see it working, horses in Fable III.
Unless they make Fable III a free roam game instead of using reigons the horse would get more in the way than being of use.
Fallout 3 didn't have any means of transportation (except for teleport) and I think that worked really well.
Instead of blasting through the landscape on horseback I think it's better to walk, mostly because you discover so much more, on a horseback all the details are lost.

By the way the dog wouldn't be able to keep up...

I think a horse would work fine for a game separated into regions. Take Assassin's Creed for example. That game has horses, it's split up into a few regions, and when you travel from one to another, it's a very simple transition, whether you're on horseback or not. If you're on horseback when you exit a region, you're on horseback when you enter the new one. If you're on foot when you exit a region, you're on foot when you enter the new one.

And your dog could still bark if you zip by a chest or dig spot on a horse. Then you could just stop and follow him to it.

SimonKalevra

Reaction score

I guess it could work, it was kinda cool what they did in AC, but they had a BIIIIG region with pretty much nothing interesting in it, it was just a region for you to actually use your horse in.
That's what I don't want for Fable, I want to be able to walk and discover and for the developers not to waste time and effort on a feature we will hardly even use.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score

I don't think it would be like that at all if horses were put into Fable. It was only like that in Assassin's Creed because there weren't anything like dig spots, chests, silver keys, demon doors, shops, jobs, mysterious caverns, and quests, but these things will always remain in Fable, and they'll give you a reason to get off your horse. Of course you'll always have the chance to just ride by them if you don't want to be bothered by them.

Daemon300

Premium
Reaction score

Sweet idea.

R

Razorback

Ever played Shadow of the Colossus? I always liked the way they used the horse in that game - you sped him up by using the action button to dig your heels in, and slowed him down by dragging back on the reins with the analog stick. If he ran into an obstacle he reared up and shied away from it, and when you weren't riding him he'd wander off and graze. If he got scared he'd run away and you had to whistle to call him back (I think you could pat him to calm him down as well). You could also fight and shoot from the saddle.

In many ways, in fact, he acted like the dog from Fable II. So the inclusion of a similar mount would fit nicely.

However - Colossus was one big open environment, literally a whole continent with no "areas" to load, and you had total freedom to roam. That lent itself well to a good fast horse. Fable may not.

SimonKalevra

Reaction score

Shoadow of the Colossus is one of my favorite games of all time :D
There's only you, your horse and 16 colossi, but the Ico team put so much effort into the movements of the character and the colossi, everything moves and flows as you think it would.
However in Shadow of the Colossus you spend more than half the time riding the horse, I don't see that happening in Fable III.

Anyway I'm not against the idea of a horse in Fable III, it would be a nice addition, but if it doesn't move and feel like you are on a horse it would be a complete waste!
If you have ever played Shadow of the Colossus you'd know just how lame the horses of Oblivion and other games felt - and this is a PS2 game I'm taking about here!

R

Razorback

Exactly my point. In Colossus you actually felt like you were riding a horse. For the first couple of hours I was content to just gallop about the landscape checking out the scenery. That's pretty rare.

I'd love it if they could make the Fable world one big open landscape like that, give you the option to spend the time riding from one town to the next, dealing with little ambushes and mini-adventures along the way. I can't see it happening because it's a far more complicated world, so the horse may be pointless.

Unless they made the horse integral to completing quests, which was another thing Colossus did well.

Dentie

Reaction score

they should make it like the horses in Gun only then that you can buy horses and dont find them

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score

Dentie;332659 said:
they should make it like the horses in Gun only then that you can buy horses and dont find them

Exactly, I love the way the horses are in Gun. Especially the ranged combat from horseback. If they add horses into Fable 3, they should enable you to use weapons and Will powers from horseback, and make it similar to how it is in Gun. Although, I don't think they should adopt the part of horseback riding in Gun when the horse dies if you spur it too much (except if you get Reed's armored horse). It's a bit unrealistic how the horse dies so fast, and it's just plain annoying.

SimonKalevra

Reaction score

Necromancer11;332743 said:
Exactly, I love the way the horses are in Gun. Especially the ranged combat from horseback. If they add horses into Fable 3, they should enable you to use weapons and Will powers from horseback, and make it similar to how it is in Gun. Although, I don't think they should adopt the part of horseback riding in Gun when the horse dies if you spur it too much (except if you get Reed's armored horse). It's a bit unrealistic how the horse dies so fast, and it's just plain annoying.
Try jamming spiky metal plates into a horse in real life repeatedly and see how long it lasts..
No don't do that.
No horses in Fable III - it would take too much effort to make it seem real (like what they did with the dog - which is awesome btw) They'd have to create a completely new AI responding to you, creatures, villagers and the dog in various situations.

I don't see how you could combine lots of horse riding (if there is a horse you'd better have lot of situations where you use it) and exploring every detail in the way Fable I and II did..

Status
Not open for further replies.