• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Anyone think guns were a mistake?

Dead_Frozen

Blade Acolyte
Reaction score
I don't know if I'm alone here, but I think that guns were a huge mistake by Lionhead. Does anybody else think the game would have been alot better if they had just stuck with swords, bows and magic?

Krogan

Reaction score
I love using bows personally, i think jumping 500 years into the future wasn't a well thought out idea either.

Pepsiplz

Reaction score
I don't know if I'm alone here, but I think that guns were a huge mistake by Lionhead. Does anybody else think the game would have been alot better if they had just stuck with swords, bows and magic?

The guns make the game easier, so yeah, I agree with you.

Khalin

Reaction score
The guns make the game easier, so yeah, I agree with you.
I don't really think the guns made the game "easier", unless you mean the higher re-fire rate. Even so, bows made Fable I stupidly easy to begin with, so to me there's little difference. I've literally played Fable I several times without taking a single hit through the entire game thanks to Skorm's Bow for the 2/5 of the game, and Physical Shield when I'm not doing "No Protection" boasts in quests.

As for the actual concept of guns, I hated it at first but soon developed a fondness for pistols. And using my fully upgraded Dragonstomper .48 has charmed me and actually made me fall in love with it. But aside from that, I really am upset that they scratched bows from the game entirely. It was bad enough that they ditched longbows in Fable II and only allowed you to use crossbows as a "bow" alternative [I hate crossbows, just not my style at all], but now they won't let you use bows at all. Their setting of this industrial age in Albion is actually done nicely, and I like its aesthetic. However, I really miss the "good ol' days" of swords, axes, bows, other heroes, and the like.

Dead_Frozen

Blade Acolyte
Reaction score
I don't like Fable III whatsoever. When I think of "Fable" I think of a great fantasy game that is the only real competitor with the Elder Scrolls Series. Fable II was really cutting it and now Fable III is more like a Revolutionary War RPG. Elder Scrolls has definately won the battle. I wish Fable had just stuck to their original time setting.

Khalin

Reaction score
I don't like Fable III whatsoever. When I think of "Fable" I think of a great fantasy game that is the only real competitor with the Elder Scrolls Series. Fable II was really cutting it and now Fable III is more like a Revolutionary War RPG. Elder Scrolls has definately won the battle. I wish Fable had just stuck to their original time setting.
Hm, well I love Fable I the most as well, but I still do like Fable III a lot, it's pretty fun. To me, Fable II is the weakest of the three titles.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
As far as gameplay goes, it was a pretty good decision. I love doing the whole one handed rifle shot thing to end a battle.

As far as the feel of the game goes, it was a massive mistake. It was a mistake to modernise it, and the guns go with that.

Pepsiplz

Reaction score
I don't really think the guns made the game "easier", unless you mean the higher re-fire rate. Even so, bows made Fable I stupidly easy to begin with, so to me there's little difference. I've literally played Fable I several times without taking a single hit through the entire game thanks to Skorm's Bow for the 2/5 of the game, and Physical Shield when I'm not doing "No Protection" boasts in quests.

For me. the guns made the game easier for me.

LeafySuburb

a l'espirit libre
Reaction score
As far as gameplay goes, it was a pretty good decision. I love doing the whole one handed rifle shot thing to end a battle.

As far as the feel of the game goes, it was a massive mistake. It was a mistake to modernise it, and the guns go with that.
I think Lionhead is trying to emulate our own history a bit too much, they have pictures f Napoleon all over the place, the clothes look like militray jackets from 200 years ago, and they think that as long as there's some magic gauntlets and a couple potions it's still a "Fable".... it's really not anymore.... it's just a game of risk with some giant beetles and wolves that actually attack people.... in fact they're even using real world animals now?!!! agh...

tjbyrum1

That Asshole Son-of-a-Bitch
Reaction score

Am I alone here? A Revolutionary War RPG would be my most favorite game in the world. Entirely.

I love GUNS, WARFARE, and the usual things associated with it.

Longbows and Crossbows, sure they're quite fine indeed, however I love Guns more than anything in this world. Guns, guns, guns. Love'em.

I would literally (non-literally) kill for a Revolutionary War RPG.

I think Lionhead is trying to emulate our own history a bit too much, they have pictures f Napoleon all over the place, the clothes look like militray jackets from 200 years ago, and they think that as long as there's some magic gauntlets and a couple potions it's still a "Fable".... it's really not anymore.... it's just a game of risk with some giant beetles and wolves that actually attack people.... in fact they're even using real world animals now?!!! agh...

I guess this is going to get lots of flaming activity on my part, but I guess it doesn't matter. If I was to make the next Fable game, this is what I would do:

-Remove Will and everything to do with it.
-Nothing related to magical properties and everything associated with it.
-Add in much more Guns, add emphasis on Guns, introduce a 'Cover System', a 'Blindfire System', and other things to that degree.
-With Will removed, and more emphasis on Guns, Melee Combat would consist with much more emphasis on blocking, countering, and executing opponents.
-The only melee weapon would be a sword, or daggers. None of those hammers or axes.
-Make Rifles, Pistols, and Swords/Daggers all look realistic, removing all of the 'glyphs' and unrealistic designs.
-Remove 'arcanist robes', and spells, and all that stuff. I would introduce realistic, non-archaic armor; and clothing of the era.
-Remove 'Btisih Humour' and keep the small ironic humour in. Much how Fable I was.
-Remove supernatural creatures such as Balverines and banshees, and pull-in more real-world creatures and wildlife.
-Remove 'slow-jobs' and introduce newer methods of blacksmithing, lumberjacking (excuse the pun), hunting, and other things.
-Remove the cheesy voice-acting of certain individuals and give everyone a voice and tone with similar qualities of Walter, Logan, Weaver, or someone like that.
-Re-introduce Fist Fighting, and revamp it.
-More emphasis on darker toning, industrious, and other Fable III Bowerstone-Esque areas.
-A more 'British War' storyline. With soldiers as they were in Fable III; forts and generals and battles.

Then again, would that not destroy Fable? Please, anyone know where I can buy this game I speak of from?

LeafySuburb

a l'espirit libre
Reaction score
Am I alone here? A Revolutionary War RPG would be my most favorite game in the world. Entirely.

Longbows and Crossbows, sure they're quite fine indeed, however I love Guns more than anything in this world. Guns, guns, guns. Love'em.

I guess this is going to get lots of flaming activity on my part, but I guess it doesn't matter. If I was to make the next Fable game, this is what I would do:

-Add in much more Guns, add emphasis on Guns, introduce a 'Cover System', a 'Blindfire System', and other things to that degree.
-With Will removed, and more emphasis on Guns, Melee Combat would consist with much more emphasis on blocking, countering, and executing opponents.
-The only melee weapon would be a sword, or daggers. None of those hammers or axes.
-Make Rifles, Pistols, and Swords/Daggers all look realistic, removing all of the 'glyphs' and unrealistic designs.
-Remove 'arcanist robes', and spells, and all that stuff. I would introduce realistic, non-archaic armor; and clothing of the era.
-Remove 'Btisih Humour' and keep the small ironic humour in. Much how Fable I was.
-Remove supernatural creatures such as Balverines and banshees, and pull-in more real-world creatures and wildlife.
-Remove 'slow-jobs' and introduce newer methods of blacksmithing, lumberjacking (excuse the pun), hunting, and other things.
-Remove the cheesy voice-acting of certain individuals and give everyone a voice and tone with similar qualities of Walter, Logan, Weaver, or someone like that.
-More emphasis on darker toning, industrious, and other Fable III Bowerstone-Esque areas.
-A more 'British War' storyline. With soldiers as they were in Fable III; forts and generals and battles.
Then again, would that not destroy Fable? Please, anyone know where I can buy this game I speak of from?

I agree, that would be a pretty fun game, but I think that it would be an entirely new game series. The only reason I'm complaining is that I started Fable I because I was tired of action games, etc... and I wanted some weird magic and a cool plot line. Lionhead is just way--- too inconsistent with it's plot line, instead of releasing books and websites about albion and magic they should have it IN GAME! or just quite Fable all together and start a new series.... with revolutionary war.... just leave my Fable alone Lionhead! do it right or don't do it at all. Your suggestions would make a cool game, but under a different title. They are straying way too far from the original plot.. and it's irritating if you've played all 3 games and you can barely follow the story line without having to ask some huge question about a huge gap in the hugely faulty timeline.

tjbyrum1

That Asshole Son-of-a-Bitch
Reaction score
I agree, that would be a pretty fun game, but I think that it would be an entirely new game series. The only reason I'm complaining is that I started Fable I because I was tired of action games, etc... and I wanted some weird magic and a cool plot line. Lionhead is just way--- too inconsistent with it's plot line, instead of releasing books and websites about albion and magic they should have it IN GAME! or just quite Fable all together and start a new series.... with revolutionary war.... just leave my Fable alone Lionhead! do it right or don't do it at all. Your suggestions would make a cool game, but under a different title. They are straying way too far from the original plot.. and it's irritating if you've played all 3 games and you can barely follow the story line without having to ask some huge question about a huge gap in the hugely faulty timeline.

We're on similar terms here my friend.

Warpedhero

Warped Hero
Reaction score
I like the guns, so long as they are done tastefully and the Fable series doesn't become a first-person shooter, which I fear is bound to happen if they continue into the future.

Keshire

Modder
Reaction score
When I think Fable I think mothergoose, brothers grimm, and other fairytales. The first game looked like they wanted to head in that direction. But it was all downhill from there. F2 and 3 aren't fable like at all. Just another action/adventure game with time wasting gimmicks.

If I can find the initiative when the PC version hits, then I'm going to completely rip out the storyline and go for non-linear episodes/quests straight out of the Brother's Grimm books.

Jamie S. Rain

Wooflea Bird
Reaction score
When I think Fable I think mothergoose, brothers grimm, and other fairytales. The first game looked like they wanted to head in that direction. But it was all downhill from there. F2 and 3 aren't fable like at all. Just another action/adventure game with time wasting gimmicks.

If I can find the initiative when the PC version hits, then I'm going to completely rip out the storyline and go for non-linear episodes/quests straight out of the Brother's Grimm books.

Wow finally someone feels the same way I do...
I wish I could 'like' your post 100 times. =\

Reaction score

The list of the above sounds like it has all the makings of a good 19th century warfare game and I hope one day to play a game such as this. However if such a game is to be made then it should be its own series with it's own title like Steam age: Total war rather than be a continuation of the Fable franchise.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
I don't mind the guns. The guns are neat. The things that I do mind is everything they cut away from Fable to Fable 2/Fable 3 in favour of "simpler" gameplay. If they had kept what made the original so great and put it 500 years in the future I doubt the guns/other modern things would've ruined it.

ajmanno

Reaction score

I agree 100% your right

ajmanno

Reaction score

I think the opposite of you, fable needs will, bows, magic, get rid of guns, if lionhead did what you wanted fable would a terrible game