• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Autosave failure recovery for Windows 8(WITHOUT losing game data)

Zeo

Reaction score
After extensive searching, and refreshing my computer and what not, I finally found a way to fix this without losing all your save games. THIS WILL ONLY WORK IF YOU HAVE A WORLD SAVE BESIDES THE AUTOSAVE.

1. Change compatibility settings. Doesn't matter to what, as long as they can read the files. keep doing this until number 2 occurs.

2. get a game to "successfully" autosave. The auto save being valid isn't important, just that you get PAST the auto-save screen and back into the game to play.

3. IMMEDIATELY Teleport to the Hero's guild and use the level up device(you don't need to level up, just use the device.)

Aldo, this during the hobbe cave quest, don't do that quest again until after you do another one.

4. Do NOT Save, go back to Windows 8 WITHOUT exiting Fable TLC. You should be able to go into /documents/games/fable and delete any .hs files and the auto save. NOW go back to fable and save at least 2 copies of your game as world saves.

5. Exit fable, put compatibility to none, re-enter fable load game. check all saves, delete any saves that doesn't successfully auto save and the auto save. Problem should be fixed.

6. Do not do the hobbe cave (or what ever quest you are on), again until you complete another quest.

Last edited:

Zeo

Reaction score
Won't let me edit: hit or miss on the hobbe cave quest, it may become permanently messed up. However I am able to take and complete other quests, so it will allow you to continue your game.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Thanks for posting your findings, might be of some use to people who have the same issue.