• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

"Bioshock, Not Quite Art", says Book Critic...

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
"Bioshock, Not Quite Art", says Book Critic...

Mircosoft
------------------------------
12871723750f6b61ce7dmag8.jpg

Xbox 360

"I've got a first-aid kit, but I haven't figured out how to use it." - Michael Dirda

Joystiq said:
joystiqae4.png

If you're anything like us, you're probably getting a little tired of the seemingly never-ending "games as art" debate. Well, try and revive your interest for just one more moment -- the Washington Post took an interesting approach in expanding the debate this weekend with a short piece looking at the artistic merits of BioShock.

For the piece, Post technology and games writer Mike Musgrove took an Xbox 360 and a copy of BioShock over to the home of the Post's 58-year-old, Pulitzer Prize-winning book critic Michael Dirda, who played the game unassisted for a couple of weeks. As might be expected for a guy whose last game was Myst, Dirda had trouble getting past Neptune's Bounty. "I've got a first-aid kit, but I haven't figured out how to use it," Dirda said in a quote sure to draw guffaws from gamers who haven't won a Pulitzer Prize.

But what about BioShock as art? While Dirda said the game obviously has artistic value and was easy to get lost in, he wouldn't quite go so far as to call it "art." The key threshold for games to become an art form, Dirda said, is the ability to the player feel depressed. Apparently Dirda has never seen his rightfully-earned loot ninjaed after a five-hour World of Warcraft raid. Depressing indeed.

But the final word on BioShock as art should probably go to head designer Ken Levine. "Is BioShock art? I don't know, and I guess I sort of don't care. All I care about is, does it work -- does it have an impact on an audience?" On that important score, we're going to have to answer with a resounding "Yes!"

H

Hexadecimal

Re: "Bioshock, Not Quite Art", says Book Critic...

a book critic is judging a game on artistic merit?
the arts aren't just interchangeable like that... why not have a music critic judge paintings, or a sculptor judge poetry?
he's entitled to his opinion, but I feel he cannot possibly consider himself making an informed decision if he never even made it out of the first couple levels :hmm:
doesn't make the character feel depressed? Is he for real? Obviously he hasn't had to harvest your little sisters and then sit through them cringing at you and calling you a Meanie :(
That certainly depressed me...
And I feel I'm about as qualified to critique video games as this book critic... more so, as I have actually played the game and can make a more informed decision... :lol:

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score

Gikoku;133750 said:

Mircosoft
12871723750f6b61ce7dmag8.jpg

Xbox 360

"I've got a first-aid kit, but I haven't figured out how to use it." - Michael Dirda

Yeah. It is nearly impossible to use, and the bolded message saying "Press B to heal" whilst displaying an image of the bright red B-Button... so deciving. So vicious.

H

Hexadecimal

Tsuyu;133753 said:
Yeah. It is nearly impossible to use, and the bolded message saying "Press B to heal" whilst displaying an image of the bright red B-Button... so deciving. So vicious.

I love how he's presented as some form of expert, with his pulitzer prize and whatnot... and then they add in as a sidebar that he is essentially also illiterate and retarded...

nice ;):lol:

Albion Knight

Premium
Reaction score

Tsuyu;133753 said:
Exactly what I was thinking. If you add in that the B button is red just lick you life meter and the blue button is blue just like th Eve meter what more do you want audio?

Atlas: "Would you kindly press the B button to heal yourself"

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score

Book Critic...says it all. Shouldn't he stick to books? :lol:

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Albion Knight;133792 said:
Exactly what I was thinking. If you add in that the B button is red just lick you life meter and the blue button is blue just like th Eve meter what more do you want audio?

Atlas: "Would you kindly press the B button to heal yourself"

Yeah it basically points things out to you and if you dont do them then you even get on screen commands :lol:

Orpheus Lupus

The Pretty-Okay Doctor
Reaction score

I'd like to note that many "professional" Book Critics are sometimes notoriously obnoxious in the first place, even to Book Authors. Especially to Book Authors.

The idea of a professional critic has always bothered me, actually, in a way. Especially since people so often forget that the point of criticism should be to make something better as opposed to ripping it apart or calling it doo-doo.

F

Frostmourne

Bioshock is art per-say, depends how you interpret and define it ^_^

I think its great an author critiqued Bioshock, I mean think about it, wouldn't that mean Bioshock is a good game?. Even authors are playing Bioshock.

H

Hexadecimal

Frostmourne;133836 said:
Bioshock is art per-say, depends how you interpret and define it ^_^

I think its great an author critiqued Bioshock, I mean think about it, wouldn't that mean Bioshock is a good game?. Even authors are playing Bioshock.

too bad we got the one author who can't read O_O
how does he write/critique books if he can't read? o_O

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score

good Question Hexi :devil:

Orpheus Lupus

The Pretty-Okay Doctor
Reaction score

Book critics are playing it, anyway. I don't know if he's an author...Is he? Not to mention he was asked to play it.

Hey, if I get one of my short stories published soon (and eventually the novel) that'll mean at least two have played it XP