• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Candlelight Compunction

HeroOfCrapsalot

Dean Gullberry
Premium
Reaction score
Candlelight Compunction

I had to write a creative story based on some of the themes I picked up from Edith Wharton novels. Thought I'd share it here. If you see any errors go ahead and tell me.

Candlelight Compunction

Snow paved the city streets like ashes over a charred forest. The suns rays glistened on the surface of the snow but took no affect on the frigid frost.

Richard pressed through the seemingly endless torrent of frost dragging one foot after the other. He trudged his way towards the studio to film several scenes in his new film. He had acted in many films in the past but this film was his premiere cinema as the leading role. Richard was perfect for this role as it was the part of a tragic hero. Richard was always able to pull depression and anguish from the depths of his heart. To satisfy his anguish afterwards, he manipulates his peers for his own amusement.

He quietly snickered to himself as he meandered on. He wandered until he realized he had lost all sense of direction. The snow seemed to devour the road before his eyes. The buildings grew whiter with every city block he passed until they completely faded from his sight. The city had vanished into the flurry with the exception of one building in the distance. It stood three stories tall, was made of immense cedar logs and decorated with intricate light fixtures. Even from such a long distance, Richard couldn’t help but feel a steady pulse radiating from the structure. He couldn’t help but be attracted to it. He decided to enter the building and attempt to regain his bearings.

Upon entrance, Richard caught a faint but familiar scent. It resembled a combination of lavender and sweet honey. The aroma reminded him of someone, but he could not place his finger on exactly who that person was. This thought slowly drifted from his mind as he ventured further into the building. He entered a grand baroquely decorated room. Mysterious trinkets and toys covered the walls and an eerie tune crept from a nearby record player. One ornament repeatedly drew Richards wandering eyes. A golden bracelet, adorned in two small rows of diamonds with one opulent ruby set in the center. Richard recognized the stone from somewhere in the past. As he concentrated on the ruby he slowly began to remember...

“Welcome.” recited the voice of a woman that seemed to come from the heavens. “Please move to the top floor of the building.”

Richard abandoned his thinking and did as the voice commanded. At the top of the stairs was a single door. Richard hesitated at first but decided to proceed through this perplexing portal.

“State your full name.” sang the heavenly voice.
“Richard Theo Kalt!” roared Richard in a fearful but confident tone.
The moment Richard uttered his name a single candle appeared before him. The flickering wick immediately sparked his memory.

“I... I remember everything now! The scent of her hair, the bracelet I gave her for our in her death bed and the candle we lit to symbolize the blazing inferno that was our love... it all adds up! Oh, my dear sweet Rebecca! I have strayed so far from the path love and joy! I will change my ways so you may rest in peace!”

A sudden flash blinded Richard and he fell unconscious. When he awoke, he was in the studio, surrounded by his fellow cast members and he smiled.