• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Cant connect to Windows Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jodd

Reaction score
Hi!
Im new to this game and was looking forward to play it. I have tried Fable II and I enjoyed it greatly. I have bought the DVD in a local store.

The installation seemed to work fine. When I hit the play game button I was informed I had to get a verification of the release date. Easy peacy I thought, but when I hit the button it loaded for a few seconds and I got the message that Games for Windows Live couldnt connect to the Live-service.
I then rounded up the usual suspects. First thing I did was to turn off the fire wall with no effect. Then I checked if the game servers were down. They werent. Then I tried the Securom page with no effect. (Securom didnt identify fable III.)
I am a bit frustrated because of this. The frustration is not getting less from the fact that Dragon Age 2 has a similar problem... (Or my comp does.) Im annoyed that one-player games should need all this hustle with internet connection...

Any tips on this? Please dont flame me. I have serched the forum a bit before asking..

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Anything here help you?

Mainly the part that says:

-- Download and Install Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant 6.5 choosing between the 64bit and 32bit versions depending on your Windows operating system
-- Try to register your xlive.dll by going to Start -> Run -- cmd -- then type in REGSVR32 /u C:\path\to\the\xlive.dll
-- Run the Fable 3 exe in Windows XP compatibility Service Pack 3 (SP3) mode, Launcher, as well as Steam and any other related file
-- Close any program that could possibly interfere with the game or its components (i.e. a firewall)
-- Go to the Control Panel and choose uninstall/reinstall and choose REPAIR
-- Reinstall / Repair Games For Windows Live / GWL
-- Reboot your computer
-- Reinstall Microsoft Games for Windows and Windows Live Essentials (GFWL / GWL / WLE). You can repair Microsoft Life Essentials via the Control Panel instead, but try reinstalling completely if that does not work.
-- Try logging into the Games for Windows Marketplace before launching / opening Fable 3
-- After reinstalling GFWL, copy the xlive.dll from C:\Windows\System32 and paste it in \Steam\steamapps\common\fable 3\ to fix the xlive.dll error. Try registering it if necessary with the CMD from above.

Jodd

Reaction score
Well I got it sorted out and I thought Id share the solution.
All I had to do was to create a new user of my computer in the control panel.
I had to set a password to that new user.
I then right clicked and hit "Run as". I then chose the new user and entered the password. So I got the verification message as I did before, but now instead of hitting the button, I simply hit "Enter". It all came along nicely after that.
Im not sure why this worked, but as long as it did Im happy.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Were both the accounts Administrator accounts? I remember a couple of years ago some EA titles needing the users account to have a password but hadnt seen it since. Thanks for sharing your finds though.

Status
Not open for further replies.