• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dead Island

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Very little is known about this title at the moment but IGN have done an article on it and it looks like an interesting fresh take on the zombie genre. Its said to be a "first-person zombie-slasher/action-RPG." Its combat revolves around melee mainly and weapons that can break and degrade with every attack and you have very little ammo at your disposal as the game takes place in The Royal Palms Resort on the remote island of Banoi in Papua New Guinea. Like Left 4 Dead it is being designed around 4 player co-op and the game was first announced in 2007 but didnt have a publisher but is said to be launching in 2011. Will it disappear in the flood of zombie games as of late or will it take the crown of the best yet... Have to wait and see, but the full article can be read by clicking the IGN logo.

Azer249

Reaction score

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I was trying to find a link direct on youtube for the trailer they have on IGN released today but you managed to get it before me. ^_^

Azer249

Reaction score
I was trying to find a link direct on youtube for the trailer they have on IGN released today but you managed to get it before me. ^_^

Its all good man :) im glad they decided to make the game again after cancelling this, free roam zombie survival horror. Amazing. Hopefully the trailer is in reference to the story because that was one emotional trailer.

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Oh my, that trailer was rather touching. I will be keeping this game in my sights for the many months to come.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Oh my, that trailer was rather touching. I will be keeping this game in my sights for the many months to come.

Yeah i agree, it was nicely done and if they can pull off everything they want in this game then it could be a standout game in the increasingly crowded zombie genre.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Some new screenshots courtesy of CVG.
Plus another 111 Screenshots on CVG's Website.​

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score
Freaky, I heard some geezer talking about dead island on the bus, and you say its a game huh. Lulz.

*Reads article*

L0ki

The Six Gun Caballero
Reaction score
I really have my doubts with this game. A co-op 4 player muliplayer mode with RPG elements? Definitely doesn't sound like it's going to be amazing. I could imagine it being good if it was a higher Player count, but with only 4 players AND it being RPG style, I think it's going to be a horrible game.

The Graphics are beautiful, though. I'd give it that much.

Daemon300

Premium
Reaction score
http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/115/1150368p1.html

There is a preview on a polish website. They say it's like a mix of Borderlands, Dead Rising 2 and a little bit of Left 4 Dead.

The Sam B guy (mentioned in the above article, picture below) is like a tank. He was bitten by a zombie, but somehow survived, and is now more resistant to zombie bites. He is like the Berserker from Borderlands, and when in "fury" mode he can take out zombies in one hit (or more easily).

For killing zombies you get experience, and all of the characters have 3 separate skill trees. You can, for example, increase vitality, strength, or get new abilities.

"And there are several different zombie types. There will also be bosses."

dead-island-04d5e8341e4e38.jpg

I think it will be awesome. Bosses? Hell yeah!

L0ki

The Six Gun Caballero
Reaction score
Sounds a lot more interesting and fun now that Daemon explained it. My apologies if I seem very hesitant on this game, I just haven't heard much of it and to be honest, I don't like Zombie games all too much (excluding Undead Nightmare for Red Dead Redemption).

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Mix between those 3 games is no bad thing, so long as its all the good parts from those games. I like the idea of skill trees and character progression as it makes each character feel different and not merely different skins (L4D). If they can make the co-op as seamless as L4D's and Borderlands was then that will be brilliant. A nice mix of them being serious (like the trailer) along with some humour between characters and a decent story and it could be brilliant.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Daemon300

Premium
Reaction score
I found this on Joystiq:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/19/dead-island-movie-rights/

Update: Dead Island publisher Deep Silver states that, contrary to earlier reports, the rights to a film adaptation of Dead Island have not been sold -- though it claims to have received "a vast amount of inquiries" following the game's buzz-building trailer.

"We are looking for quality above all else for a movie based on Dead Island," says Klemens Kundratitz, CEO of Koch Media (parent company of Deep Silver). "We want to do it the right way as film realizations of games (or vice versa) usually fail to deliver what the fans were looking for." The goal, according to Kundratitz, is to "work with someone who already has a proven track record with blockbuster movies." That doesn't necessarily rule out Union Entertainment, which was rumored to have already purchased the rights, but it sounds like the IP-holder is still evaluating all potential silver-screen suitors.

It's a good thing they're looking for quality. I agree it's a bit early, but we'll see.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Im glad they are acknowledging the fact that most game to movie adaptations suck and they want to rectify this and if they manage it then they will deserve credit. Got to hope the games good first of all otherwise that will kill off the popularity of a possible movie deal.

Tyloric

Illogical Process of Elimination
Reaction score
So people are willing to get behind another zombie movie franchise but not an R rated Bishock movie?

I hate Hollywood.

:|