• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Fable 3 Does and Dont's

coding_bro

Coding Guru
Reaction score
Fable 3 Does and Dont's

Fable 3 Does and Don’ts​
Well, as many of you already know, the first fable was indeed better than the second. This is quite common in games that have sequels; however Peter Molyneux, the master-mind of the game, promised the sequel to be better! He was in-fact wrong, and this is why I am making this thread; so he doesn’t make the same mistake twice.

The first Fable was compelling, had a great storyline, and had unique concepts that other RPGs did not have. The things I liked about this game were the:

• Awesome armor! This added a new variable to the game, making users feel more ‘comforted’ when they find a nice new suit of shiny armor.

• The ability to STEAL! This was a great addition. It made me (and most likely many of you) feel like I was sneaky and conniving. Not to mention I had a brand new piece of equipment I could test out.

• The graphics. The graphics were great for the original xbox, and they gave a fantasy feel with the soft textures and glowing environment. This was great.

• AWESOME storyline. I loved how the storyline in the first fable came together. The arena and the notorious ‘Jack of Blades’ was ingenious concepts within the storyline. The first fable actually TOLD the storyline in artistic-like cut scenes..as though it was a FABLE. Fable 2 didn’t really have that element.

• The Bosses. There weren’t many bosses, but DEFINITELY more than the amount of bosses in Fable 2. The first fable had Whisper, The Scorpion Giant, Thunder, Jack of Blades, Jack of Blades in Dragon Form, Wasp Queen, Twinblade, Evil Nymph, Arachanox, Kraken, and Maze. Fable 2 only had Thag, and a giant triangle…am I missing something? If I am then it was not memorable.

• The chests. W00t, the chests actually had some good stuff in them, like armor, weapons, and clothes. The chests in Fable 2 only had potions and food…how boring.
Well, as you can see Fable 1 had some GREAT qualities that Fable 2 is obviously missing.
Now let’s take a look at some of the qualities that Fable 2 has that aren’t so desirable.

Well, as you can see Fable 1 had some GREAT qualities that Fable 2 is obviously missing.

Now let’s take a look at some of the qualities that Fable 2 has that aren’t so desirable.

• Jobs. Oh wow, where to begin…The jobs in Fable 2 are BORING. They merely require you to push a single button when the time is right. How in the world can this be fun? This also makes it so getting a desired piece of equipment is easy. Not SHORT, but easy. By this I mean, getting what you want takes long, and tedious time, making you want to chuck the controller at the screen the first couple of minutes of pushing the ‘a’ button.

• The dog. This addition has a few different views. Many like it and some don’t. I however am one of the people who don’t. Yes, throwing a little rubber ball into an abyss, and having the dog act like it found the ball 100 ft. short of where you threw it seems like fun…it has nothing to do with the RPG, and is utterly pointless and boring. I also LIKE to find the treasure chests ON MY OWN. I don’t want to know where every single chest is in the game without even trying to search for it, it completely defeats the purpose of even having them.

• Pure AND Corruption. Yes, I am sure that many of you may disagree with me on this one as well. However I think two friggen bars saying that you are evil are too many. Yes, I understand that you can be “pure and evil” at the same time, giving you a new look…who actually has those stats? I mean..you have to go significantly out of your way to get both notches on opposite ends of the bar to achieve such a look. Why don’t they just make the notch exceed the length of the bar? By this, I mean just have the notch quite literally run OFF the page if you are truly that evil or good. This by far would make playing more enjoyable, knowing that there is not ‘limitation’. I would also like to have seen more significant transformations. I am sure most of you have seen the demon on the cover of the fable 2 box…why not make it so your character can be transformed to that extent? THAT would be cool.

Well, if you have actually read through my entire opinion, please pat yourself on the back, as I am sure 50% or more of you will not even bother reading something that is over a few hundred words, but I like expressing my opinion, and even if none of you read it, I would be happy just to know I got my mind out there.

BTW, all of this IS my opinion, and opinions differ, so please do not get angry with me if I had typed something that you see as false, as I am not saying that this is fact.

Thanks for reading!

coding_bro

Coding Guru
Reaction score
Re: Fable 3 Does and Dont's

Hey, I'm new, and I have apparently posted this in the wrong area. Could a mod/admin please move it to the fable three discussions area?

Aions

Cant dance.
Reaction score

WALL OF TEXT, could not be bothered to read it all so i skimmed it and ill just say this:

no armour - not worrying about armour def bonus makes that whole role playing aspect easyer and funner

i liked the dog leave him be, if you dont want him finding stuff for you dont get the books

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score

the problem i had with this thread, as well as your first mistake, start riiiigghhtt
coding_bro;342705 said:
Well, as many of you already know, the first fable was indeed better than the second.
here.

i liked fable 2 more to be honest, and if you ask anyone who anticipated fable 1 before it came out, they would say it let down their expectations. don't assume people here are unanimous with which was better, because we aren't. each game had it's strengths and weaknesses :)

Arladerus

Unknown Paladin
Reaction score

coding_bro;342705 said:
• The ability to STEAL! This was a great addition. It made me (and most likely many of you) feel like I was sneaky and conniving. Not to mention I had a brand new piece of equipment I could test out.
This won't make a big difference. You could never steal any good items. I tried stealing a health augment, and it turned out to be a fire augment. They don't put the expensive items out for display.

coding_bro;342705 said:
• The graphics. The graphics were great for the original xbox, and they gave a fantasy feel with the soft textures and glowing environment. This was great.
what is this i dont even

But seriously, Fable 2 had more glow and soft textures than Fable 1. When you walk into a dark place and then out, wouldn't it be brighter than normal, then dim down (sort of how you would feel with your pupil changing its opening)?

coding_bro;342705 said:
• The Bosses. There weren’t many bosses, but DEFINITELY more than the amount of bosses in Fable 2. The first fable had Whisper, The Scorpion Giant, Thunder, Jack of Blades, Jack of Blades in Dragon Form, Wasp Queen, Twinblade, Evil Nymph, Arachanox, Kraken, and Maze. Fable 2 only had Thag, and a giant triangle…am I missing something? If I am then it was not memorable.
Okay. There was the Troll and the Banshee, but yes.

coding_bro;342705 said:
• Jobs. Oh wow, where to begin…The jobs in Fable 2 are BORING. They merely require you to push a single button when the time is right. How in the world can this be fun? This also makes it so getting a desired piece of equipment is easy. Not SHORT, but easy. By this I mean, getting what you want takes long, and tedious time, making you want to chuck the controller at the screen the first couple of minutes of pushing the ‘a’ button.
The reason of jobs was to get your own investment started. What I did was blacksmith until I had enough for a house. Wasn't that the point of jobs? I would be extremely annoyed if I had to gain money from killing enemies.

coding_bro;342705 said:
• The dog. This addition has a few different views. Many like it and some don’t. I however am one of the people who don’t. Yes, throwing a little rubber ball into an abyss, and having the dog act like it found the ball 100 ft. short of where you threw it seems like fun…it has nothing to do with the RPG, and is utterly pointless and boring. I also LIKE to find the treasure chests ON MY OWN. I don’t want to know where every single chest is in the game without even trying to search for it, it completely defeats the purpose of even having them.
So you're saying just because YOU don't enjoy and use it, it has to be scrapped from the game? Sorry, but that's really selfish.

coding_bro;342705 said:
• Pure AND Corruption. Yes, I am sure that many of you may disagree with me on this one as well. However I think two friggen bars saying that you are evil are too many. Yes, I understand that you can be “pure and evil” at the same time, giving you a new look…who actually has those stats? et cetera, blah blah blah, BS
No. Just no. My Fable II character (female) was Evil and Pure, and let me tell you, it's a much better look compared to Evil and Corrupt.

f9960590062f007bf726f10499535c37.png

coding_bro

Coding Guru
Reaction score

Quite obviously you guys failed to read my entire thread. I knew this would happen...I CLEARLY said,

"Well, if you have actually read through my entire opinion, please pat yourself on the back, as I am sure 50% or more of you will not even bother reading something that is over a few hundred words, but I like expressing my opinion, and even if none of you read it, I would be happy just to know I got my mind out there.

BTW, all of this IS my opinion, and opinions differ, so please do not get angry with me if I had typed something that you see as false, as I am not saying that this is fact."

If you guys did somehow read this and not understand it, I was merely saying that this is all an OPINION, meaning no right or wrong answer. So PLEASE read before you repremand, or at least get a good English degree. NOTHING I said was fact; understand that.

"WALL OF TEXT, could not be bothered to read it all so i skimmed it and ill just say this:"
~actually a wall of text implies no spaces or margins. I clearly sorted out the text, very sorry if it was not formatted enough to your liking.

Mandaly

Hullabaloo
Reaction score

"Well, as many of you already know, the first fable was indeed better than the second. This is quite common in games that have sequels; however Peter Molyneux, the master-mind of the game, promised the sequel to be better! He was in-fact wrong, and this is why I am making this thread; so he doesn’t make the same mistake twice."

You are so determined to state that all of your original post was just your opinion, but you opened this thread with the above statement. You can not state something is a fact and then claim that all you said was just your opinion.

I love both games, have played both games several times, and when 3 comes out, I will probably play it as well as the first two several times as well.

Mandaly

Hullabaloo
Reaction score

Well, as many of you already know, the first fable was indeed better than the second. This is quite common in games that have sequels; however Peter Molyneux, the master-mind of the game, promised the sequel to be better! He was in-fact wrong, and this is why I am making this thread; so he doesn’t make the same mistake twice.

You are so determined to state that all of your original post was just your opinion, but you opened this thread with the above statement. You can not state something is a fact and then claim that all you said was just your opinion.

I love both games, have played both games several times, and when 3 comes out, I will probably play it as well as the first two several times as well.

Arladerus

Unknown Paladin
Reaction score

coding_bro, what you said served no purpose except a pillow for your back in case anybody decided to argue against your so called opinion. If you say something, you better be ready to take the heat for whatever happens. Just like if you point a gun at someone, you better be ready to shoot.

(un)Godly Hiroku

Fable 2 Genius
Reaction score

the dog was awesome, but they should make more choices, like a dragon, or a gorilla, or a tiger, or other cool and beasty animals, and ya the first fable's story line was the shizz lol
and the second one, was not to great, it had better graphics but thats it, no bosses really, lucien was...just a fail xD
and idk whot the "triangle" is lol, whom are you refering to?
and i lihe the idea of armor, and there def. needs to be more spells, the spells...and all the abilities in fable 2 were limited, there needs to be more!! lol
...oh and there shooda been, and in fable 3 there shood be, like animals, such a horses which you can ride around, and there shood be bigger areas as well, like instead of having it say 140 miles (not exact) to oakfeild when you travel from rookridge, you shood be able to have the opion to actually travel that, or fast travel if desired...

Vero Caerso

Poetic Master
Reaction score

Fable 2 was fable 2.
You can't expect lionhead to actually copy alot of things from fable 1.

The point they made with fable 2 is that "Each game we make were going to make them different from the first" I mean why would you want fable 2 too have the same things as fable 1?
You can't exactly JUDGE the game or think that you know what needs to be done with the games because well that just isn't your decision I'm sure that Peter Molyneux had lots of people surgesting things for Fable 2 thats why the game turned out how it was. I mean you can't expect him to go back now and change it just because it didnt have a great storyline and bosses etc etc.

Peter Molyneux (the boss man) Done what he done because he feels that he should comply with what the people of the fable community want the game to be like, of course hes not going to put everything in the game that people want in it because most of the ideas dont make any sence what so ever three quarters of the time.

If fable 3 is rubbish then you can say the things your saying but considering its not out yet then you cant just go and judge fable 2 for what it is.

(un)Godly Hiroku

Fable 2 Genius
Reaction score

well bosses and stuff like that makes the game better not a copy of fable 1
and it shood be like fable one obviously, it is a series you no, they need to be similar and lead into eachother....i dont think you realize that.....

(un)Godly Hiroku

Fable 2 Genius
Reaction score

...oh ya, and i can judge fable 2 all i want, thats what people do, people even get paid to do it, there called critics, they rate games
so ya...fail!

Rheckameohs

A Pretty Cool Guy
Reaction score

Pointless trolling aside, I'm actually going to take an analytical approach to this since I took the time to read the entire post.

coding_bro;342705 said:

Sequels rarely live up to the success of their predecessors. The only games I can think of that have actually managed succeed in that endeavor are Halo 2/3 and Oblivion. Fable II came close, I'll admit, but it had some glaring issues that held it back in many respects.

For instance, it is my opinion that Lionhead placed Fable II far too long after Fable. Going straight from a late Medieval setting to an early Enlightenment setting can be equated to shooting yourself in the balls, if you will. Personally, I feel that a gap of maybe 250 years as opposed to 500 would have been a much better move; not only that, but a Renaissance setting would have been amazing (see: Assassin's Creed II).

Hell, the Guild could have still been around during those days.

coding_bro;342705 said:
• Awesome armor! This added a new variable to the game, making users feel more ‘comforted’ when they find a nice new suit of shiny armor.

Actually, Fable didn't have much in the way of armor at all. Realistically, we had some clothing, a few sets of leather, a few sets of chainmail, and a few sets of platemail. I suppose sets like the Assassin's uniform and the Will Users robes count, but that was less about armor and more about looking cool.

coding_bro;342705 said:

I enjoyed the stealing aspect of Fable. Unfortunately, the method in which it was implemented was a rather poor one indeed. As it was, stealing was basically pointless until you had maxed out Guile, and even then the only way to feasibly get away with it was to get the shop owner drunk and out of the way.

I would like for stealing to return in Fable III so long as it's redone to not be so damn useless. And with the new Touch system, I have a feeling that theft would be a fairly intuitive experience.

coding_bro;342705 said:

If you really think about it, Fable had the best graphics of any game on the Xbox, with the only exception being Apex (which, for a time, looked better than most Xbox 360 titles, believe it or not). Even so, Fable II will always look better due to updated hardware.

What Fable managed to do better than Fable II was creating a more fantastical atmosphere. Fable felt whimsical and free-spirited, similar to a dark fairytale. Fable II did not have this vibe to it, which hurt it in the eyes of those that appreciated Fable for its atmosphere, myself included.

coding_bro;342705 said:
• AWESOME storyline. I loved how the storyline in the first fable came together. The arena and the notorious ‘Jack of Blades’ was ingenious concepts within the storyline. The first fable actually TOLD the storyline in artistic-like cut scenes..as though it was a FABLE. Fable 2 didn’t really have that element.

Fable's storyline was pretty simple, actually. What made it feel more complicated than it actually was was the various choices you could make throughout.

coding_bro;342705 said:

I enjoyed the bosses, though admittedly they felt less like bosses and more like glorified enemy confrontations. Regardless, some of the more unique enemies were a lot of fun to fight, and I was thoroughly disappointed when they were mostly absent from Fable II.

coding_bro;342705 said:
• The chests. W00t, the chests actually had some good stuff in them, like armor, weapons, and clothes. The chests in Fable 2 only had potions and food…how boring.

Yeah, I noticed this. It wasn't too big of a deal, but it would have been nice if the items found in chests were actually worth something and/or weren't items I could easily afford at any shop in the game. I attribute this to the lack of legendary weapons and armor.

coding_bro;342705 said:

I agree, jobs were a very poor way to replace quests, but I feel that working for your money by performing services helped to reinforce the feeling of Albion without the Guild. After all, if there is no Guild, there are no quests. Personally, I would have preferred the addition of miscellaneous tasks that you could perform for NPCs that rewarded you with some gold and/or an item, similar to what most MMORPGs employ.

coding_bro;342705 said:

This point is probably where I disagree with you the most. The dog was a marvelous addition to the game. Admittedly, I could have done without the whole chest finding thing, but realistically, I probably wouldn't have found any of the dig spots. Not only that, but the dog tricks are highly entertaining. Targeted urination? Pass the Kool-Aid.

What Lionhead needs to do is give the dog a larger role in the game beyond finding dig spots and other treasures. Perhaps they could make him/her vital to solving specific puzzles, or even vital to the story.

coding_bro;342705 said:
• Pure AND Corruption. Yes, I am sure that many of you may disagree with me on this one as well. However I think two friggen bars saying that you are evil are too many. Yes, I understand that you can be “pure and evil” at the same time, giving you a new look…who actually has those stats? I mean..you have to go significantly out of your way to get both notches on opposite ends of the bar to achieve such a look. Why don’t they just make the notch exceed the length of the bar? By this, I mean just have the notch quite literally run OFF the page if you are truly that evil or good. This by far would make playing more enjoyable, knowing that there is not ‘limitation’. I would also like to have seen more significant transformations. I am sure most of you have seen the demon on the cover of the fable 2 box…why not make it so your character can be transformed to that extent? THAT would be cool.

On the contrary, I think that Fable III should take it a step further. An idea I had a while back was to have a separate variable that measures your Image, which can be either Feared/Loathed or Loved/Respected. As with Purity and Morality, your Image would be completely independent of the other two variables. It would be altered depending on your behavior in public; for instance, burping at people, insulting them, or running through a crowd and bumping in to everyone would harm your image. On the flipside, complimenting people, avoiding public indecency, or helping people in need could improve your image.

Naturally, the state of your Image would have an effect on your character's appearance. If you have a good image, your character will stand taut and proud, and his/her idle animations would reflect that. If you have a bad image, your character will probably stand with a slouch, and have idle animations that show him/her picking his/her nose, scratching certain places, etc.

coding_bro;342705 said:
Well, if you have actually read through my entire opinion, please pat yourself on the back, as I am sure 50% or more of you will not even bother reading something that is over a few hundred words, but I like expressing my opinion, and even if none of you read it, I would be happy just to know I got my mind out there.

Some people have short attention spans. You learn to deal with them.

coding_bro;342705 said:
Thanks for reading!

It's coo', bro.

coding_bro

Coding Guru
Reaction score

You guys still don't seem to get the point. I did not make this thread so you guys could rip it apart, and I did not make it so I could "troll". I made it so I could express my opinion. I did indeed make the introductory paragraph straight-forward and in a "as a matter of fact" manor. I apologize for this, as I did not read through it, and did not want to make things seem like it WAS this way, only my opinion.

As I had said in my thread, "opinions differ" I was correct, as ALL of you are having different opinions about my thread. I did not include this statement to "put a pillow for my back", I simply didn't want people to argue about it.

I wanted people to express their opinions, not just rip apart mine..

Anyway, I apologize yet again to those who I may have offended with my opinion.

Edit:
Arladerus;342735 said:
what is this i dont even

But seriously, Fable 2 had more glow and soft textures than Fable 1. When you walk into a dark place and then out, wouldn't it be brighter than normal, then dim down (sort of how you would feel with your pupil changing its opening)?
Sorry, I just had to tell you that I was not even talking about fable 2 in this bullet. I was simply saying fable 1 had some of the best graphics on the original xbox...I never said Fable 2 didn't..

(un)Godly Hiroku

Fable 2 Genius
Reaction score

i did give my opinion
and you cant always get wat you want, its life...deal with iT!

coding_bro

Coding Guru
Reaction score

(un)Godly Hiroku;342839 said:
i did give my opinion
and you cant always get wat you want, its life...deal with iT!

I have dealt with it, have I not? I simply made an apology, and explained my mistake. Therefore I "dealt with it". I also was not directing my response directly at you, as there were quite a few other posters as well.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score

coding_bro;342837 said:
You guys still don't seem to get the point. I did not make this thread so you guys could rip it apart, and I did not make it so I could "troll". I made it so I could express my opinion. I did indeed make the introductory paragraph straight-forward and in a "as a matter of fact" manor. I apologize for this, as I did not read through it, and did not want to make things seem like it WAS this way, only my opinion.

coding_bro;342837 said:
I simply didn't want people to argue about it.

I wanted people to express their opinions, not just rip apart mine..

Anyway, I apologize yet again to those who I may have offended with my opinion.

if by rip it apart you mean disagree with you, then maybe just posting in the wishlist and ideas section.

Definition of a discussion:
–noun
an act or instance of discussing; consideration or examination by argument, comment, etc., esp. to explore solutions; informal debate.

a discussion and an argument can be synonymous. if you didn't want us to argue/discuss the opinion and you felt strongly enough to broadcast it.. in it's own thread even....is it really sensible to become defensive whenever anybody disagrees with your reasoning? you may as well make the font size 1 and the color white in a thread titled "here's what i think please post reactions"... :hmm:

coding_bro

Coding Guru
Reaction score

No, by "rip apart" I mean taking my thread and virtually criticizing each and every subject I put out there no matter what I say. Please take this post for example:

Arladerus;342735 said:
This won't make a big difference. You could never steal any good items. I tried stealing a health augment, and it turned out to be a fire augment. They don't put the expensive items out for display.

what is this i dont even

Okay. There was the Troll and the Banshee, but yes.

The reason of jobs was to get your own investment started. What I did was blacksmith until I had enough for a house. Wasn't that the point of jobs? I would be extremely annoyed if I had to gain money from killing enemies.

So you're saying just because YOU don't enjoy and use it, it has to be scrapped from the game? Sorry, but that's really selfish.

No. Just no. My Fable II character (female) was Evil and Pure, and let me tell you, it's a much better look compared to Evil and Corrupt.

f9960590062f007bf726f10499535c37.png

Now do you understand what I mean by, "rip apart". I understand what a discussion and what an argument is.
Main Entry: dis·cus·sion
Pronunciation: \di-ˈskə-shən\
Function: noun
Date: 14th century
1 : consideration of a question in open and usually informal debate
2 : a formal treatment of a topic in speech or writing

A disscusion is NOT saying, "So you're saying just because YOU don't enjoy and use it, it has to be scrapped from the game? Sorry, but that's really selfish." That is more of an insult than anything. As well as the smiley face after the disagreement which signifies mockery.
BTW, Arl, I was giving an opinion as I had said before, and I don't see how that is selfish of me if I thought the dog was useless. =/