• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Fable 3 main executable issue

Glitchyroach

Reaction score
I have been having this issue from the beginning, ever since i bought fable 3 on steam, i have been scouring the internet in search of a solution and have barely put a dent in the issue, I am running on windows 7 32-bit. Whenever i try to start fable 3 it gives me the option to sign in to windows live, but behind it is just a black screen. So i log in and it asks me for my CD Key, I input it it and then it accepts, after that it will successfully log in, the little bar on the right side of the screen tells me to press the "home button" to bring up the windows live tab, everything freezes and then crashes with the message "Main executable has stopped working." It does this every time i try, just without prompting me to enter the CD Key. I have tried using the secondary installers, i have tried reinstalling while running as an administrator, i have tried reinstalling running as an administrator with AVG disabled, I have tried running everything with windows live marketplace (which i installed from the main website) logged in in the background, and I have tried changing the launchers to windows xp (service pack 3) compatibility mode. The only thing that seemed to change anything at all was when i moved the xlive.dll from my system32 folder to my fable 3 folder, which resulted in a black screen with the custom fable 3 cursor, and only the steam overlay working, the windows live overlay did NOT pop up this time.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
When you say reinstalled do you mean the game itself or Windows Live program? Have you tried reinstalling Games For Windows Live itself?

So many people have had issues that sound very close to this id have thought there would be a solution by now. Lots of threads in this section that may have some other ideas for you in them if you want to browse through.

Glitchyroach

Reaction score
When you say reinstalled do you mean the game itself or Windows Live program? Have you tried reinstalling Games For Windows Live itself?

So many people have had issues that sound very close to this id have thought there would be a solution by now. Lots of threads in this section that may have some other ideas for you in them if you want to browse through.
Both, actually.

Perhaps I should have specified that.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Both, actually.

Perhaps I should have specified that.

Ah I see, it seems to be a problem LOTS of people are having. Did you login to GFWL before trying to launch the game too?

Some other suggestions here also.

Glitchyroach

Reaction score
Ah I see, it seems to be a problem LOTS of people are having. Did you login to GFWL before trying to launch the game too?

Some other suggestions here also.
Indeed I have, I even tried removing the games for windows live launcher via a modified xlive.dll that was posted somewhere. Sure enough, it removed G4WL, but the game still crashed in the exact same manner.

I think I remember looking through that thread for solutions, can't remember if I already tried them all though.