• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Fable 3 - Your Opinion.

Sean

Fallen
Premium
Reaction score
Well, with the new Fable: The Journey game coming out, I wanted to ask a very simple question.

Was Fable 3 worth your money?

In my opinion Fable 2 was fantastic, interaction was great, combat was fun...
The story was very great, everything was just awesome. I was pumped for Fable 3, I was ready to explore the future of Albion, the new lands and revisit the old lands I loved. I was ready to experience those fun times I had in Fable 2 but experience new times in Fable 3. It's a shame that didn't happen. Interaction in Fable 3 was horrible, they tried SO hard to make it awesome that it ended up failing. Buying items was also a joke, instead of certain rated economy based items, it was just "Pie." "Beer." etc. The Sanctuary too was a problem with me, I was NOT impressed with this game like I was with Fable 2.

If you liked it, if you hated it, just tell me your opinions.

Shadowfiend

Of eternal agony, etc.
Reaction score
No. It wasn't. I honestly felt cheated and will be more cautious about spending money on Fable games in the future.

The combat system is such a clown shoes retarded mess. To be fair though, the finishers were a great idea and melee combat is as simple and solid as it ever was. Magic and guns though? Trash.

Fable III had a cast of interesting characters (all the Fable games do), but it felt like more could have been done with them besides briskly moving the main story along. What's more, it bugs me that they all vanish at the end of the game. There's so little direct interaction with them that despite how much I like the characters, their connection to the Hero comes off as shallow. I mean, come on. What happened with Logan? If you spare his life you 'get him and his soldiers at your disposal'... but you don't, really. He vanishes until the final scenes of the game and then vanishes for good.
I guess the point I'm trying to make is that the presence of the other main characters wasn't being felt. They were something... distant... from the regular playtime of the game.

The Crawler was an amazingly interesting villain who ended up being laughably weak. I sighed with tremendous disappointment when I realized that Possessed Walter was just a re-skinned Dark Sentinel. Then put an expression of pure disgust when I found out that was it. No final trick up its sleeve. No endgame plan. No power of the void unleashed. It doesn't have a second form or reinforcements or horrible secrets to reveal or ANYTHING. The Crawler simply lays down and dies. I wanted to spit on him. I was outraged. I can't believe there are people who aren't.

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Couldn't bear to finish it, don't know why I still have it.

Aions

Cant dance.
Reaction score
wow a lot of Fable 3 hate here :p

i like it :/

not as good as TLC but it has made me appreciate F2 a little more (fable 2 had so many bugs it was ridiculous.)
i miss the 'hero' aspect ya know? But the magic in 3 is fun and waaay better then no 2 but far from the awesomeness that is TLC's magic system/spells. and there is no good clothes in 3, mage robes for guys and mercenaries for gals is all i like.
the weapon system is stright up retarded in 3 though i hate it, it all random to what your weapons will look like to what gun/melee wep you find in chests

In conclusion:

TLC: 9.5/10
2: 7/10
3: 5/10
and **** 'The Journey' in the ear

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
The only thing I remotely liked about Fable III was the Sanctuary. If they could have incorporated it with a real menu system, it would have been fantastic.

Aions

Cant dance.
Reaction score
i miss the books that had fable lore in them, i read every book in TLC and i belive all of them in fable 2, i may have missed some, but in fable 3 if you wanted to know ben finns story you had to go back every time to find that dam paper. Why not just pick it up once found then you could listin it when ever you wanted?

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
It felt like for every new awesome thing they did in F3 they took out something from the last two. I didn't finish it but it felt like just a sewer run to me. It wasn't dynamic everything was scripted and you just go along.

Slow time potion wtf?

Once I got to bowerstone and got that dungeons and dragons quest I just threw down the controller.

It had an amazing playable menu system and beyond that horrible.

I was excited to evolve my weapons but I had to follow the story and couldnt actually make them the way I wanted too.

My say:
Fable 9.0
TLC 9.5
Fab2 8.0
Fab3 3.0
Journey bullllllll

Reaction score
Another thing that annoyed me was the fact that my rifle morphed into a bloody shotgun, now you see my tactics ever since fable 2 (and even in fable 1 where appropriate) consisted off picking targets from long range with accurate shots, a 95th rifles marksman type character. Too bad Fable 3's morphing system had to go and s*** all over it, in fable 3 I would hold my button down for as long as possible before taking the shot hoping that it would morph my weapon into a powerfull and accurate sharpshooter rifle, but no the f***** up system had to go and turn it into a freaking shotgun, what good is that to a character such as mine? So much for weapons morphing to reflect the players combat style.

I know many people have already seen this but I'll contribute this link to the thread, Angry Joe's 32 reasons why fable 3 sucks explains perfectly all the things that went wrong with this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSaw85bliyQ

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
Well, here I am, once again, as the one guy who loves Fable 3.

First of all, I really enjoyed the majority of the characters. For the first time in the Fable franchise, I cared about them. I guess in TLC and Fable 2, I thought Garth was cool, and I disliked Thunder and Reaver (though their presence improved my Fable experience), but in Fable 3, I really liked Jasper, Walter, Major Swift, and Paige, and I especially liked Ben Finn and Sabine. Logan was cool too, but they could have done more with him.

Fable 3 also had much better good/evil decisions to make. As king or queen of Albion, you had to make bigger decisions that affected large amounts of people. That made me care much more about these decisions, and it made it more difficult to choose the evil ones.

The combat was also improved. The finishing moves for melee and ranged combat were an awesome addition, especially since there were so many different ones. Aiming with guns was greatly improved, especially since it locked onto targets better than in Fable 2 and it allowed you to aim with the left trigger. Spell weaving allowed for a lot more different possibilities when it came to Will powers, and the quicker charging allowed magic combat to mix better with ranged and melee combat.

With help from the dyes and the weapon morphing system, customization was improved greatly as well. Fable 3's new dyes allow the player to dye their clothes different shades of the same color, which is a very nice feature. Everybody seems to be saying that there aren't enough clothes in Fable 3 though. However, it seemed to me like there were just as many good solid outfits in Fable 3 as there were in Fable 2. People also like to rag on the weapon morphing system, but I enjoy it quite a bit. The initial idea of morphing weapons is brilliant and innovative to begin with. Like the clothing, tattoo, and hairstyle customization, the morphing weapons aid in allowing you to be a completely different character every time you play, thus adding to the replay value. Plus, once you know a good deal of the weapon morphs and how to get them (or once you look them up), you can pretty much choose what your weapons will end up looking like. Now, I understand that there are still some minor flaws in the system, but you can't possibly expect a new system like this to work perfectly.

And finally, let's take a look at the Sanctuary. I was excited and interested to see what the Sanctuary would be like before Fable 3 was out, but I was blown away when I started to operate it myself. My absolute favorite part is the dressing room. I love how easy it is to put something on, maybe dye it if you want, and then run around the room in real time to see how it looks. And you can even save the custom outfits that you create. This is extremely important to me since I'm always creating new characters and new outfits. It also looks really nice, and I just love the concept of the Hero having a real physical place to store things. It's also very refreshing since practically every other game uses menus.

Angry Joe's 32 reasons why fable 3 sucks explains perfectly all the things that went wrong with this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSaw85bliyQ

I disagree entirely. In fact, I feel compelled to respond to a good deal of what he has to say.

#1 (The Sanctuary): Is he really complaining about having to walk a few steps into a room and up to a podium? Seriously? That's ridiculous (especially since he just accused the game of being lazy). It barely takes ten god damn seconds. And he's just dead wrong when he says you have to hold A to equip something. You don't. I suppose he has a point when he talks about the game needing a gifting animation, but when he said you have to go into your co-op partner's gifting room to check if (s)he got your gift, that's also just dead wrong. Just check the place for incoming gifts to the left of your map table. The Sanctuary doesn't waste time either. It saves it, especially when you're doing things like making a custom outfit. Instead of pausing and unpausing to see what your outfit looks like when you're running around, you can check it out right there in the dressing room.

#2 (Navigation): Anybody with half a brain can figure out where to go when the breadcrumb trail is malfunctioning. The models on the map table do look like the regions, and you shouldn't be blaming the game because you're not able to figure out a simple game mechanic like fast traveling to a certain point in a region. This guy really isn't making himself look too smart. The only solid point he had here was that there should be a "you are here" marker on the maps in the Sanctuary.

#3 (Loading Screens): Loading screens take, what, 20 seconds? Is this guy really that impatient? By the way, I'll bet that loading screens are the price we pay for the beautiful Fable environments that Joe loves so much.

#4 (Co-op): Sure, it would be cool to have your co-op partner be a part of quests and a part of the story, but why would someone expect that? It doesn't seem to me like a lot of games have that anyway.

#5 (Co-op Restrictions): Again, is this guy really that lazy? Just download some free sh*t; it takes no time at all. It's not like they're making you buy the DLC that actually costs money to play with other people.

#6 (DLC): When he talks about clothing here, he's over exaggerating. There are a lot more good solid outfits than he claims there are. About the DLC items like the black dye and the Industrial Knight Suit though, I agree with him that that's ridiculous. It's not Lionhead that's doing that though. It's Microsoft. Microsoft is making money off of that stuff because it's all bought with Microsoft points.

#7 (Melee Combat): All you have to do to hit an enemy with a melee weapon while they're blocking is flourish. And maybe it wouldn't take 50 billion hits to kill that sand fury if he would just upgrade his hammer.

#8 (Magic): Magic is not overpowered at all when you consider the fact that you're vulnerable to enemy attacks while charging it. And when two spells are combined, it seems to me like they both do half the damage they would on their own in order to keep Will powers from being overpowered.

#9 (Low Difficulty): Fable isn't supposed to be difficult. If you're one of those people that needs a challenge to have fun, it doesn't mean the game sucks, it just means the game probably isn't for you.

#10 (NPC Interactions): Certain interactions are supposed to be ridiculous. Some people find them funny or amusing. Again, if you don't like them, that doesn't mean the game sucks, it just means that that part of it isn't for you. I do agree that you should be able to choose what expressions you use though, and if you could, that would solve the dancing problem. You shouldn't have to dance with a person of the gender that you don't want your Hero to be attracted to. Other than that stuff though, I think the touch system is definitely superior to the old expression system.

#11 (The Dog): I think they gave up on that "emotional bond" stuff with the dog after Fable 2. He's just a treasure hunter and a good way to kill enemies that have been knocked down, which is still cool.

#15 (Video Blurriness): It's not blurry.

#16 (Weapon Morphing): Is this guy just completely unaware of the Hero weapons or something? And for that upgrade on the Scattershot, you don't have to kill people in the worlds of other players. You have to give gifts to 20 different players, and all you have to do for that is find some player orbs to give gifts to. It's not a ploy to sell more copies.

#17 (Gold): You can and should spend tons of gold on property and your treasury.

#18 (Jobs): The game doesn't slow down at all. Either it's a problem with Joe's game or Xbox, or he just sucks. And no, that wasn't just a joke or an insult.

#19 (DLC): You're not funny, Joe.

#22 (Corridors): Not everything is a corridor, but yes, there are invisible walls. A region can't just go on forever.

#24 (Pressing and Holding A): Again, I don't understand why he thinks you have to to press and hold A to select and equip things in the Sanctuary. You don't.

#25 (Customization): There are plenty of hairstyles in the game. The funny thing is that there actually is a facial hair style called "Mustache and Goatee."

#27 (Road to Rule): That's how it is with every Fable game. You can use your weapons and magic as much as you want, but you have to go upgrade your stats to get better and stronger. And why does it matter if you go to a different "plane of existence" to do this in Fable 3? Fable is a magical game series after all.

#28 (Checking Gold): It takes a few seconds to get into the Sanctuary's trophy room. Deal with it.

#29 (Villain Fight): I do agree that there should have been a big fight against Logan, but he wasn't the main villain in the end. The Crawler was, and there's a battle against him. As for villain fights in the last two games, there definitely should have been one against Lucien, but there wasn't anything wrong with either of the fights against Jack of Blades.

Damn...that's a lot of text. Props to anyone who actually reads the whole thing.

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
Damn...that's a lot of text. Props to anyone who actually reads the whole thing.

Read and agreed.

I had a fun time with it. Although, I think they could have made it much better. And because of that knowledge, I think I was somewhat disappointed. Maybe the studio just needs structure, one blueprint that doesn't change and keep working on the same thing you started to work with. It seems like they wanted to try too many different things and ended up with something... less than expected.

But I still had fun with it. And Joe needs to stfu.

Reaction score
Well, here I am, once again, as the one guy who loves Fable 3.

First of all, I really enjoyed the majority of the characters. For the first time in the Fable franchise, I cared about them. I guess in TLC and Fable 2, I thought Garth was cool, and I disliked Thunder and Reaver (though their presence improved my Fable experience), but in Fable 3, I really liked Jasper, Walter, Major Swift, and Paige, and I especially liked Ben Finn and Sabine. Logan was cool too, but they could have done more with him.

Fable 3 also had much better good/evil decisions to make. As king or queen of Albion, you had to make bigger decisions that affected large amounts of people. That made me care much more about these decisions, and it made it more difficult to choose the evil ones.

The combat was also improved. The finishing moves for melee and ranged combat were an awesome addition, especially since there were so many different ones. Aiming with guns was greatly improved, especially since it locked onto targets better than in Fable 2 and it allowed you to aim with the left trigger. Spell weaving allowed for a lot more different possibilities when it came to Will powers, and the quicker charging allowed magic combat to mix better with ranged and melee combat.

With help from the dyes and the weapon morphing system, customization was improved greatly as well. Fable 3's new dyes allow the player to dye their clothes different shades of the same color, which is a very nice feature. Everybody seems to be saying that there aren't enough clothes in Fable 3 though. However, it seemed to me like there were just as many good solid outfits in Fable 3 as there were in Fable 2. People also like to rag on the weapon morphing system, but I enjoy it quite a bit. The initial idea of morphing weapons is brilliant and innovative to begin with. Like the clothing, tattoo, and hairstyle customization, the morphing weapons aid in allowing you to be a completely different character every time you play, thus adding to the replay value. Plus, once you know a good deal of the weapon morphs and how to get them (or once you look them up), you can pretty much choose what your weapons will end up looking like. Now, I understand that there are still some minor flaws in the system, but you can't possibly expect a new system like this to work perfectly.

And finally, let's take a look at the Sanctuary. I was excited and interested to see what the Sanctuary would be like before Fable 3 was out, but I was blown away when I started to operate it myself. My absolute favorite part is the dressing room. I love how easy it is to put something on, maybe dye it if you want, and then run around the room in real time to see how it looks. And you can even save the custom outfits that you create. This is extremely important to me since I'm always creating new characters and new outfits. It also looks really nice, and I just love the concept of the Hero having a real physical place to store things. It's also very refreshing since practically every other game uses menus.

I disagree entirely. In fact, I feel compelled to respond to a good deal of what he has to say.

#1 (The Sanctuary): Is he really complaining about having to walk a few steps into a room and up to a podium? Seriously? That's ridiculous (especially since he just accused the game of being lazy). It barely takes ten god damn seconds. And he's just dead wrong when he says you have to hold A to equip something. You don't. I suppose he has a point when he talks about the game needing a gifting animation, but when he said you have to go into your co-op partner's gifting room to check if (s)he got your gift, that's also just dead wrong. Just check the place for incoming gifts to the left of your map table. The Sanctuary doesn't waste time either. It saves it, especially when you're doing things like making a custom outfit. Instead of pausing and unpausing to see what your outfit looks like when you're running around, you can check it out right there in the dressing room.

#2 (Navigation): Anybody with half a brain can figure out where to go when the breadcrumb trail is malfunctioning. The models on the map table do look like the regions, and you shouldn't be blaming the game because you're not able to figure out a simple game mechanic like fast traveling to a certain point in a region. This guy really isn't making himself look too smart. The only solid point he had here was that there should be a "you are here" marker on the maps in the Sanctuary.

#3 (Loading Screens): Loading screens take, what, 20 seconds? Is this guy really that impatient? By the way, I'll bet that loading screens are the price we pay for the beautiful Fable environments that Joe loves so much.

#4 (Co-op): Sure, it would be cool to have your co-op partner be a part of quests and a part of the story, but why would someone expect that? It doesn't seem to me like a lot of games have that anyway.

#5 (Co-op Restrictions): Again, is this guy really that lazy? Just download some free sh*t; it takes no time at all. It's not like they're making you buy the DLC that actually costs money to play with other people.

#6 (DLC): When he talks about clothing here, he's over exaggerating. There are a lot more good solid outfits than he claims there are. About the DLC items like the black dye and the Industrial Knight Suit though, I agree with him that that's ridiculous. It's not Lionhead that's doing that though. It's Microsoft. Microsoft is making money off of that stuff because it's all bought with Microsoft points.

#7 (Melee Combat): All you have to do to hit an enemy with a melee weapon while they're blocking is flourish. And maybe it wouldn't take 50 billion hits to kill that sand fury if he would just upgrade his hammer.

#8 (Magic): Magic is not overpowered at all when you consider the fact that you're vulnerable to enemy attacks while charging it. And when two spells are combined, it seems to me like they both do half the damage they would on their own in order to keep Will powers from being overpowered.

#9 (Low Difficulty): Fable isn't supposed to be difficult. If you're one of those people that needs a challenge to have fun, it doesn't mean the game sucks, it just means the game probably isn't for you.

#10 (NPC Interactions): Certain interactions are supposed to be ridiculous. Some people find them funny or amusing. Again, if you don't like them, that doesn't mean the game sucks, it just means that that part of it isn't for you. I do agree that you should be able to choose what expressions you use though, and if you could, that would solve the dancing problem. You shouldn't have to dance with a person of the gender that you don't want your Hero to be attracted to. Other than that stuff though, I think the touch system is definitely superior to the old expression system.

#11 (The Dog): I think they gave up on that "emotional bond" stuff with the dog after Fable 2. He's just a treasure hunter and a good way to kill enemies that have been knocked down, which is still cool.

#15 (Video Blurriness): It's not blurry.

#16 (Weapon Morphing): Is this guy just completely unaware of the Hero weapons or something? And for that upgrade on the Scattershot, you don't have to kill people in the worlds of other players. You have to give gifts to 20 different players, and all you have to do for that is find some player orbs to give gifts to. It's not a ploy to sell more copies.

#17 (Gold): You can and should spend tons of gold on property and your treasury.

#18 (Jobs): The game doesn't slow down at all. Either it's a problem with Joe's game or Xbox, or he just sucks. And no, that wasn't just a joke or an insult.

#19 (DLC): You're not funny, Joe.

#22 (Corridors): Not everything is a corridor, but yes, there are invisible walls. A region can't just go on forever.

#24 (Pressing and Holding A): Again, I don't understand why he thinks you have to to press and hold A to select and equip things in the Sanctuary. You don't.

#25 (Customization): There are plenty of hairstyles in the game. The funny thing is that there actually is a facial hair style called "Mustache and Goatee."

#27 (Road to Rule): That's how it is with every Fable game. You can use your weapons and magic as much as you want, but you have to go upgrade your stats to get better and stronger. And why does it matter if you go to a different "plane of existence" to do this in Fable 3? Fable is a magical game series after all.

#28 (Checking Gold): It takes a few seconds to get into the Sanctuary's trophy room. Deal with it.

#29 (Villain Fight): I do agree that there should have been a big fight against Logan, but he wasn't the main villain in the end. The Crawler was, and there's a battle against him. As for villain fights in the last two games, there definitely should have been one against Lucien, but there wasn't anything wrong with either of the fights against Jack of Blades.

Well I'm glad someone could salvage some enjoyment from it. :thumbsup:

Me on the other hand, loathed it as you can tell by now.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I actually agree with most things that Joe said to be honest, some parts are a little overblown but he did that for comedic effect. The NPC interactions have always been terrible and im surprised that in a game series that Peter wanted people to care about their actions so much that the interaction system is so bad.