• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Fable-esque

Status
Not open for further replies.

handsdown65

A Smart Fella
Reaction score
Compare the Fable games to a series like Elder Scrolls - massive amounts of land you can freeroam, able to sit down, little things like different names for the days 'Loredas, Sundas' w/e, years, accurate maps, interesting people, all the detail and realism, compared to Fable which is very simple, the people are simpletons, Albion seems to change every game, most of it's lore is assumed and fanfic, alot unexplained, no information about the year, date, plotholes, inaccuracies...

The Crawler, we assume he's from the Void, but he could be generic bad guy put in without them linking him to the Void or anything.. Theresa, no need to say.. Things like the 'famous monarchs' books in 3. Famous monarchs? I thought Sparrow was the one who brought together Albion into a kingdom for the first time since the Old Kingdom. Right? And the book in F1 referencing the events in F3.

I do love Fable, and in a way it wouldn't be Fable if they suddenly made it like Oblivion, but to be honest I think they're just lazy and get away with it

Vyan

Reaction score
They're two very different breeds. I never found the whole mythos behind The Elder Scrolls or Bethesda's Fall Out series particularly appealing. When the Carter brothers first hatched they're brainchild for Fable (before Molyneaux hijacked it all with his hype interviews), they wanted to steer away from all the usual stuffy cliché elements you would find associated with most RPGs or at the very least parody them because at their base level they're farcical to say the least, just look at that D&D sidequest in Fable 3 for a very recent example.

I do agree that what Fable lacks is some proper narrative backbone, a cohesive bridge between each game instead of the multitude of inconsistencies. The one constant in the franchise seems to be Theresa (who if anything is one of the most ungrateful characters I've ever experienced in any video game series even when she was a child in the opening of the first game) and the evolution of Bowerstone. You're right about the population being simpletons, but who cares, I actually enjoy hearing their small talk and occasional drunken ramblings far more than say, some annoyingly dumb lovestruck elf who needs convincing to take a wolf pelt to show to his true love he's a hunter and all that rubbish with the usual soporific score in the background to let me know I'm in some cliché ridden elven camp. I think I spent more time playing the pub games in Hook Coast and getting everyone drunk there than my complete game time in Morrowind.

The mistake most people make with the Fable series is how RPG lite it all is when that's the series' main objective. It's supposed to be an accessible adventure for folks who don't have time to invest in a stuffy RPG or have to read every codex entry just to make sense of everything in the game world. I love the Fable games, despite some obvious flaws in each series - for which I can list plenty but in a completely separate thread, but it's not like Oblivion, DA: Origins or the Mass Effect series were exempt from any faults either. I'm not a LH fan boy but the British Carry On... humour, the atmospheric locations that seem to jump from a Corman / Hammer production and the idiocy of the supporting cast are kind of appealing and refreshing to me rather than the stuffy, bookish nature of most games in the genre.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
I don't fully understand the comparisons between Fable and the Elder Scrolls - they are worlds apart for me. What has always confused me is that nobody seems to compare Fable 1/TLC with the Elder Scrolls but for some reason start to with Fable 2 and 3. I don't get why, though...

skull

Reaction score
considering lionhead had 2 years of development whereas oblivion must have had at least double that.
it isn't simply a case of lazyness, game development takes longer than people think, i remember making a a single orc head in MAYA, it took literally the whole day to just make the basic shape and to make the texture
and before anyone mentions the fact that the fable 3 engine is basically fable 2's with improvments.

PS never played oblivion loved fallout 3 though :)

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
And make sure you get the Game of the Year edition ;)

Shadowfiend66

Reaction score
LOL i had it but never played it :)

Wow, ya. You need to leave...like now. And don't come back till you play Oblivion. You, I've seen you... You are the one from my dreams... Then the stars were right, and this is the day. Gods give me strength. Perhaps the Gods have placed you here on this forum so that we may meet. He You can help us. He You must help us. Go now. You must fulfill your destiny. Play Oblivion, and close shut the jaws of Oblivion. Ya. I've played Oblivion too much because I knew those lines without looking them up. :geek:

SqueakyPenguins

You sire, are a idiot!
Reaction score
I've thought it was an empty big world with the same things over and over again? You mean there's actually stuff to do in it???

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
Lionhead should sell Fable to Bethesda.

Status
Not open for further replies.