• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Fable/Fable TLC Mysteries

KataFish

Reaction score
I know this topic have probably been discussed a million times already but I don't care (Mods delete this if it's a problem). I just want the truth. I was hoping maybe someone in here knows for a 100% fact that dragon cliff, the better bard, the singing sword, the schmieder? or the sandgoose, exists? What about that random demon door? Whats up with that? Has PM or Lionhead ever announced that these things are in fact not in the game? I've personally found Dragon Cliff Filler in TLC, so I'm hopeful that that's a clue that there really is a Dragon Cliff, not just a random hunk of nothing left there by the developers.

Anyway if anyone here can give me some closure about this, that would be great.

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score
I am afraid to break down old news to you, Kata; all the things you mention above were never added into the game, and they aren't considered mysteries either, they are known as the Molyneux Effect.

KataFish

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking......sigh..... well I guess there's nothing left to do then but to send an invitation to Mr. Molyneux to join me in Mr. Slaves butt hole for some tea and crumpets.

Lenop

Boyish member
Reaction score
dragon cliff
Myth of the first age. It was an actual map in the original Fable, but there is no way to get to it without uber hax. I mean mods. It is a used map in TLC. The original Fable was to have a dragon, one very different from the one in TLC, Kyris. When I have more time I'll toss up a few pics so you can see. For now I'll say that it looks like the dragon in the Hero/Dragon paining in the Chamber of Fate.

better bard
singing sword
Fake in entirety.
Edit: I shouldn't say that. There is an unimplemented, unfinished bard quest, and by unfinished I mean EA would have tried to release it. Or when Dead Island was leaked and the island residents were still alive.
And the singing sword also has references to it in the game files, but you're talking about a string or two of text and that's it.

sandgoose
One of the elders of FableTLCMod gave a pretty good explanation for that one.
BayStone said:
The Sandgoose is actually an inside joke created by Atchoo. While Project Ego was in its early days and the world was young, Atchoo was a boy without a care in the world. In these times, a youth would just blurt out whatever came to his head and that’s what he did. He mentioned to Bat that he had adopted or seen a Sandgoose, causing Bat hours of searching through libraries and the net apparently, without any positive results. At this, Bat enquired to Atchoo if he could actually give him any information on this mysterious beast, to which Atchoo just laughed and could not believe a simple joke could be taken so far... little did he know the full extent. Atchoo grew enamoured with his creation and began doing things like referring to it over the internet, and posting posters around his school with the phrase, 'Have you seen this bird?'

But now you may ask, how it is that BBB and Lionhead took knowledge of this made up bird. Well, when Atchoo went for testing the first time at BBB, he mentioned this joke to Dene Carter and it didn’t take long for him to want to implement this beast in Project Ego. Well, with the becoming of Fable and the speed of word of mouth, Peter and many other people knew about this bird, but very few actually know why and or how it originated…

Now you know.

the schmieder?
The what?

What about that random demon door? Whats up with that?
Which one?

Has PM or Lionhead ever announced that these things are in fact not in the game?
They don't need to. Modders have conclusively determined the truth about these things.

I've personally found Dragon Cliff Filler in TLC
Remember that in TLC there is a playable dragon cliff. In the original Fable there was not, and it was with the original that the myth started. As answered earlier, the map was there, just couldn't get to it without mods.

KataFish

Reaction score
Myth of the first age. It was an actual map in the original Fable, but there is no way to get to it without uber hax. I mean mods. It is a used map in TLC. The original Fable was to have a dragon, one very different from the one in TLC, Kyris. When I have more time I'll toss up a few pics so you can see. For now I'll say that it looks like the dragon in the Hero/Dragon paining in the Chamber of Fate.

Thank you for the detailed response, that helps clear some things up for me, although I'm not convinced that one can't get there in the game. If there's a map of it in the original Fable, why then cant one use a glitch to get there? I just bought the original fable I'm going to try and see if I can't find a way to get there using the spade trick glitch. It may take me awhile, but I'll post pics if I find anything. I think I've already seen the pics your talking about, but IDK, post them anyway when you can.

Fake in entirety.
Edit: I shouldn't say that. There is an unimplemented, unfinished bard quest, and by unfinished I mean EA would have tried to release it. Or when Dead Island was leaked and the island residents were still alive.
And the singing sword also has references to it in the game files, but you're talking about a string or two of text and that's it.

One of the elders of FableTLCMod gave a pretty good explanation for that one.

So does that mean that there could be a brief clip where the singing sword is mentioned in the game? or maybe a reference to it of some kind?

The what?

"The Scimitar" Sorry forgot the name of it :p. Rumor has it you can get it in the bandit camp. One of the bandits set it down, and you can then pick it up.
Which one?

They don't need to. Modders have conclusively determined the truth about these things.
Not good enough for me :shifty: I need to here it from the horses mouth. I emailed LionHead Studios about these things, hopefully I can get a response , they owe it to the fan base to tell us the truth. I'll post there response here if I get one.

Remember that in TLC there is a playable dragon cliff. In the original Fable there was not, and it was with the original that the myth started. As answered earlier, the map was there, just couldn't get to it without mods.

Maybe I'm naive or just plain ignorant, but I still think there are some of these things in the game and can be found without mods, you said modders found lines of code for these things, doesn't that mean that the objects or some piece of them are in the game then?

Lenop

Boyish member
Reaction score
I'm not convinced that one can't get there in the game.
It may be possible. I couldn't tell you for certain, never having owned or played the very original Fable.

As for the screenshots, I was not talking about any in-game pictures. I was referring to the original dragon itself. The assets exist in the original, but not the definitions and so it couldn't be implemented in-game. There have been efforts to bring this dragon to TLC, unsuccessful and very humorous efforts. It should be possible, to be honest. It just wouldn't be a very lively creature. Anyway. Here's a couple renders.

So does that mean that there could be a brief clip where the singing sword is mentioned in the game? or maybe a reference to it of some kind?
No. That a string of text is in the files means nothing by itself. It has to be used somewhere. It isn't used anywhere in the game.

"The Scimitar"
Oh that! Yes. That is real. Apparently it can happen in TLC too.
The scimitar is nothing special, it's one of many bandit weapons and through a glitch the player is able to get this one. All weapons in the game, whether accessible to the player or not, will be named. Most of them have the same inventory data, which means they'll all have the same name. If you were to get all the weapons that exist in the game via modding, you'll find that tons of them are called Scimitar, which just means sword.

Not good enough for me :shifty: I need to here it from the horses mouth. I emailed LionHead Studios about these things, hopefully I can get a response , they owe it to the fan base to tell us the truth. I'll post there response here if I get one.

Maybe I'm naive or just plain ignorant, but I still think there are some of these things in the game and can be found without mods, you said modders found lines of code for these things, doesn't that mean that the objects or some piece of them are in the game then?
Hmm. Naive and ignorant. Modders are going to know more about the game than the developers. Developers only know about the stuff they worked on. Designers are only going to know about the stuff they told people to work on, and sometimes don't know if it was ever done or not. Players know what they see. Modders do too, but the difference is modders see everything. The big picture.

There are multiple stages of development, I'll run down the skim milk version for you.

Concept. Some idiot on the dev floor has an idea, starts writing up stuff for it. This is where you'll see obsolete text entries (singing sword).

Play dough. Because an idiot had an idea, the artists have to carve it out and make something that will probably never be used. This is where you'll see models and textures, like the dragon.

Realization. None of that matters until one of the programmers actually makes definitions for the thing. At this point, it becomes a real, recognizable and usable thing. Here's where you'll find, well, definitions. Not sure how to explain that. It's the 1s and 0s that make up the quests and objects and npcs and cities and stuff. I want to mention the bard quest, but it wasn't ever really finished.

Implementation. And obviously that doesn't matter either if it's never put into the game. Here someone in scripting will implement these things via quests or map scripts. Lots of things don't make it this far. Like the Harvester, or pump action crossbows, or throwing bombs, or the Slayer sword, or adrenaline potion. All completed items, never put in the game. And the two other weapon augments, one of which makes the player have different animations. I can't explain that one, but that's what happens and I think it's cool.

Recap.
Your singing sword is just a text entry. There's nothing for it.
Sandgoose, inside joke, doesn't exist.
Scimitar, finished and implemented object not meant to be accessible by the player, but possible via glitch.
Dragon cliff. Exists. Inaccessible in original Fable without exploits. Having to choose my words wisely.
Random demon door, you still need to explain that one to me.

Modders are in every way better than the horse's mouth. Especially in this case where the horse's mouth and the horse's ass are often confused for one another. Aside from the fact that modders will actually give an answer, modders also like to be right. If I was lying, or giving incomplete or untrue information, another modder will jump on the opportunity to prove me wrong. But for these matters, it's a dead horse you're beating here. Anyone who knows will tell you the same thing.

Edit: Forgot to add. Just about everyone who worked on Fable/Fable: TLC are no longer employed at BBB or Lionhead. So asking them, even if they answer, might just result in a lot of people not knowing what you're talking about.

KataFish

Reaction score
It may be possible. I couldn't tell you for certain, never having owned or played the very original Fable.

As for the screenshots, I was not talking about any in-game pictures. I was referring to the original dragon itself. The assets exist in the original, but not the definitions and so it couldn't be implemented in-game. There have been efforts to bring this dragon to TLC, unsuccessful and very humorous efforts. It should be possible, to be honest. It just wouldn't be a very lively creature. Anyway.

That dragon looks pretty bad ass, a shame they couldn't have it in the game.....maybe anniversary?

No. That a string of text is in the files means nothing by itself. It has to be used somewhere. It isn't used anywhere in the game.

Oh that! Yes. That is real. Apparently it can happen in TLC too.
The scimitar is nothing special, it's one of many bandit weapons and through a glitch the player is able to get this one. All weapons in the game, whether accessible to the player or not, will be named. Most of them have the same inventory data, which means they'll all have the same name. If you were to get all the weapons that exist in the game via modding, you'll find that tons of them are called Scimitar, which just means sword.

Nice, what glitch are you talking about?

Hmm. Naive and ignorant. Modders are going to know more about the game than the developers. Developers only know about the stuff they worked on. Designers are only going to know about the stuff they told people to work on, and sometimes don't know if it was ever done or not. Players know what they see. Modders do too, but the difference is modders see everything. The big picture.

There are multiple stages of development, I'll run down the skim milk version for you.

Concept. Some idiot on the dev floor has an idea, starts writing up stuff for it. This is where you'll see obsolete text entries (singing sword).

Play dough. Because an idiot had an idea, the artists have to carve it out and make . This is where you'll see models and textures, like the dragon.

Realization. None of that matters until one of the programmers actually makes definitions for the thing. At this point, it becomes a real, recognizable and usable thing. Here's where you'll find, well, definitions. Not sure how to explain that. It's the 1s and 0s that make up the quests and objects and npcs and cities and stuff. I want to mention the bard quest, but it wasn't ever really finished.

Implementation. And obviously that doesn't matter either if it's never put into the game. Here someone in scripting will implement these things via quests or map scripts. Lots of things don't make it this far. Like the Harvester, or pump action crossbows, or throwing bombs, or the Slayer sword, or adrenaline potion. All completed items, never put in the game. And the two other weapon augments, one of which makes the player have different animations. I can't explain that one, but that's what happens and I think it's cool.

Recap.
Your singing sword is just a text entry. There's nothing for it.
Sandgoose, inside joke, doesn't exist.
Scimitar, finished and implemented object not meant to be accessible by the player, but possible via glitch.
Dragon cliff. Exists. Inaccessible in original Fable without exploits. Having to choose my words wisely.
Random demon door, you still need to explain that one to me.

Modders are in every way better than the horse's mouth. Especially in this case where the horse's mouth and the horse's ass are often confused for one another. Aside from the fact that modders will actually give an answer, modders also like to be right. If I was lying, or giving incomplete or untrue information, another modder will jump on the opportunity to prove me wrong. But for these matters, it's a dead horse you're beating here. Anyone who knows will tell you the same thing.

Damn dude, I salute your video game nerdiness :thumbsup:

Edit: Forgot to add. Just about everyone who worked on Fable/Fable: TLC are no longer employed at BBB or Lionhead. So asking them, even if they answer, might just result in a lot of people not knowing what you're talking about.

That may be a blessing, hopefully the new team can make fable 4 the fable that everyone always wanted.

Lenop

Boyish member
Reaction score
Nice, what glitch are you talking about?
I've never seen it myself, but enough reputable, trustworthy people have confirmed it for me. I'm not sure about the nature of the glitch, but somehow or another one of the bandits will drop his sword in such a way that the player can pick it up. This, of course, is not supposed to happen. No one picks up Thunder's sword, or Nostro's, items not obtainable without modding. But because of some crazy sort of magic, you can get one of the bandit swords without leet cheats, uber hax, or mods.

KataFish

Reaction score
So I found an old thread on this board labeled "Fable secrets put to rest" I found some interesting info...
Fable secrets put to rest

I was looking at some files in Fable today and I found some things

1. The Singing Sword - There is a secret sword (somewhat) it's really called a Lute but is placed as a weapon that has 0 damage. it's under OBJECT_LUTE

2. The Sandgoose - This actually is in the coding but it's called CREATURE_BIGA**_CHICKEN

3. Neutral Wizard's Hat - It is coded in the game, but noone has found a way to get it.
OBJECT_HERO_HAT_WIZARD
OBJECT_HERO_HAT_WIZARD_EVIL
OBJECT_HERO_HAT_WIZARD_GOOD

4. The Talentless Bard Quest - This Quest even though it never shows up on your menu is apparently always active. In the coding it points to Snowspire and has something to do with Timmons. Still have not found a trigger for the event though.

5. Dragon Cliff - If you remember this from the original Fable, it's still in TLC but no trigger and still incomplete. The Dragon here though incomplete, still looks better than Jack does (It's the same dragon that's in the fresco in the Guild.)

6. The Mad Bomber - Taken out but animations and model file still there.

7. Trophy Dealer - Actually this is the Archeologist. Name was changed.

8. Secret Trophies - These are in the game but can only be attained through modding. Balverine's Head, Claw, Heroes Axe, Heroes Belt, Lobster Claw, Scrumpy Crate, Archeologist's Map, Dragon Scale and Maze's Head.

9. The Blacksmith's Hammer - This is in the game and you can get it but it's called the Frying Pan. No Idea why they changed it a hammer would have been alot better.

This is just some of the So-Called secrets of Fable.This should put some of the rumors to rest. Remember though that these can only be obtained through MODDING, and also just because it is in the coding DOES NOT mean that it is in the game. Most of the secrets in this game were left out because they were not finished, so instead of having quests that could not be started or finished but have quest cards for them they left alot out.​
So has anyone found the Neutral Wizards Hat?The possibility of it being in the game is still there...
How about about the talentless bard quest? Maybe the trigger is in the game just waiting to be pulled....

Lenop

Boyish member
Reaction score
I don't know where you found that but it is wrong.
1. The Singing Sword - There is a secret sword (somewhat) it's really called a Lute but is placed as a weapon that has 0 damage. it's under OBJECT_LUTE
If you're going with that, there are a lot of secret swords called different things. One that interests me is Slayer, as that one is at least completely game-ready.

2. The Sandgoose - This actually is in the coding but it's called CREATURE_BIGA**_CHICKEN
This one was just used for testing, sorry. It has no connection to the sandgoose myth. Still, it's a better explanation than the Chris Houlihan runaround to get to the trading ships with the bird on the sail and claiming that the picture is the fabled sandgoose (those ships appear with or without the running around, so people know).

3. Neutral Wizard's Hat - It is coded in the game, but noone has found a way to get it.
Because there isn't a way to get it, not legit anyway. It's like any of the other completed but unimplemented items.

4. The Talentless Bard Quest - This Quest even though it never shows up on your menu is apparently always active. In the coding it points to Snowspire and has something to do with Timmons. Still have not found a trigger for the event though.
The quest was never finished. The quest section in the map scripts was repurposed, they still retain the name Talentless Bard but it's only for the bards that show up in the main towns and serenade you with songs of your exploits in terrible prose. And it isn't active until... I forget. But the moment a bard shows up, the "quest" is active.

6. The Mad Bomber - Taken out but animations and model file still there.

7. Trophy Dealer - Actually this is the Archeologist. Name was changed.
These are both wrong. The names of the meshes do not mean anything.
The mad bomber was likely going to be in the bandit class of baddies. There was going to be a silver quest where the mad bomber was going to blow up some stuff but nothing for this quest was ever finished except for a couple textures. They decided to go with a different mesh, and since they later decided to not continue with the mad bomber stuff they repurposed the mesh for the executioner, who is in the game. The trophy dealer was supposed to be just that. A dealer of trophies. But again, never finished and model repurposed. The names of the models were never changed to reflect this.

8. Secret Trophies - These are in the game but can only be attained through modding. Balverine's Head, Claw, Heroes Axe, Heroes Belt, Lobster Claw, Scrumpy Crate, Archeologist's Map, Dragon Scale and Maze's Head.
Many of those are incomplete as trophies and will not show up in the inventory when spawned. Some show up in the wrong inventory. They needed more work to be implemented.

9. The Blacksmith's Hammer - This is in the game and you can get it but it's called the Frying Pan. No Idea why they changed it a hammer would have been alot better.
Again, inaccurate. You don't get the blacksmith's hammer in-game, and it is not called the frying pan. The frying pan is called the frying pan. There were some redundant data entries for these though. For example, there are two shovels, one's called shovel, one's called a spade and that's the one you get in-game and use to dig dirt.

I am giving you the most complete information you're going to get.

KataFish

Reaction score
Good to see this place is still up and running. Thanks lenop for the great info. After my last post I replayed the original fable, not TLC, and used the shovel glitch to go beyond the boundaries once again to see if I could find something or anything new that hasn't been discussed to death. Believe it or not I found something I haven't seen posted anywhere. Has anyone ever found "the pink spot?" go to the dock that has a view of the prison (sorry haven't played the game in awhile and I don't know the exact name of the locations) and use the shovel glitch to get to the prison. Go to the back of the prison. And on the bank just before the water there is a pink spot on the ground that has a couple letters on it. You can use the shovel on this spot only, it won't work anywhere else around the pink spot.

Does anyone know what this is about? Is there any other places that have this "pink spot" with letters on it?

Maybe there are other locations and the letters combined spell out some kind of message?

If anyone cares enough, I'd like to hear your take on this. Also, I'm willing to take pictures of my find and post them here, again, if anyone gives a crap.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Good to see this place is still up and running. Thanks lenop for the great info. After my last post I replayed the original fable, not TLC, and used the shovel glitch to go beyond the boundaries once again to see if I could find something or anything new that hasn't been discussed to death. Believe it or not I found something I haven't seen posted anywhere. Has anyone ever found "the pink spot?" go to the dock that has a view of the prison (sorry haven't played the game in awhile and I don't know the exact name of the locations) and use the shovel glitch to get to the prison. Go to the back of the prison. And on the bank just before the water there is a pink spot on the ground that has a couple letters on it. You can use the shovel on this spot only, it won't work anywhere else around the pink spot.

Does anyone know what this is about? Is there any other places that have this "pink spot" with letters on it?

Maybe there are other locations and the letters combined spell out some kind of message?

If anyone cares enough, I'd like to hear your take on this. Also, I'm willing to take pictures of my find and post them here, again, if anyone gives a crap.

Hi again and welcome back after nearly 3 years, weirdly I dont actually remember hearing about this before and cant remember anyone else mentioning it.

KataFish

Reaction score
Thanks! I honestly forgot about this place and my posts until I did a Google search of fable anniversary secrets and this site popped up.

But yea. That pink spot was strange, I wonder why it was put there, or if there even is a purpose. I'll have to dust off my old Xbox, copy of fable, and take some pics of it. When I get a chance I'll post them here. Is there a way to post pics from a smart phone?

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Thanks! I honestly forgot about this place and my posts until I did a Google search of fable anniversary secrets and this site popped up.

But yea. That pink spot was strange, I wonder why it was put there, or if there even is a purpose. I'll have to dust off my old Xbox, copy of fable, and take some pics of it. When I get a chance I'll post them here. Is there a way to post pics from a smart phone?

Always good to see members find us again. Yeah you can upload them to an image host site from phone and post link into a post.

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
I've been able to get the scimitar in game. Bandits will sometimes drop it around bonfires just like meat. It does one damage and is very small compared to a leveled up Hero, more like the toothpick. I wanted to replace the stick with it but it disappears from inventory. If you can mod I highly suggest getting Fable explorer and simply looking through all the files.

Some other things I have never seen posted are knothole bears, goblins, foreigners. Likely there were other places than Albion planned to be able to visit. TLC has many such instances, If you go to Bowerstone North you will notice on Lady Grey's mansion there is a clock with no dials but the dials are in the game files. Alot of games have things in them that didn't make it to the final cut of the game.

From your comment years ago I had always wondered about the extra demon door, but once we all got TLC we can see that it was part of a quest to visit the prophets.

EDIT: Here are just some of the things I've been able to find in the files-
fable%20bear_zpsryh3et1r.jpg
fable%20bear%20cub_zpsfjh6j8lz.jpg

It seems bears were supposed to be in the game.
fable%20goblin_zpskswunxts.jpg

This is my favorite, a Goblin!
fable%20dog_zpsmffkucv9.jpg

fable%20duck_zps4hxua80v.jpg

Lots of different types of animals and bugs.
fable%20egg%20shield_zpslo5z2zhw.jpg

fable%20wood%20shield_zpsmsxzknmv.jpg
These are interesting, there are alot of animations and stuff that I have no idea what were for but this clearly is an early version of the physical shield spell. First it was like an egg, then they went with floating rotating shields, the more you leveled up the spell the stronger it got from wood, bronze, gold and so on.

There are also numerous set pieces, vegetation, and scenery that are to much to post here. There was originally a place called Brightwood, which people say became Oakvale, but in Brightwood there were birch trees not oaks so it would have looked very different. Also a place called blood stone which we saw later in Fable 2. It seems the quest for DragonCliff starts in Hook Coast, there are alot of old towers that were supposed to be used as defense against the Dragon that were never placed in game. As for swords there are many the player cannot wield, strangely a small long sword. It seems the game could have been very different from what it is today.

Last edited: