• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Fable III, IV, and V?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kewl Munky

Reaction score
Fable III, IV, and V?

I know Fable III was announced a few days ago, but I also heard that Peter said in an interview around the time of Fable II's release that they have plans for Fable III, IV, and V. I think it sounds rediculus to plan out a huge chain of games. Instead of giving us a long list of games that are easy and don't take time to beat give us just a few games that are hard and actually take time to play through properly.

Sounds like they have an issue with doing quality over quantity. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see the series expanded but not if every game is going to be short and easy like the previous two.

GaidenGuy123

Reaction score
Re: Fable III, IV, and V?

They will probably take their time, all they did was announce 3 more games. They never said they're going to make them within a year each so they can end it quick.

Kewl Munky

Reaction score

Well it took 4 years to make Fable II and they want to bring out the third game just two years after. Makes me wonder how much time they plan on spending on the rest of the games.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Kewl Munky;331036 said:
Well it took 4 years to make Fable II and they want to bring out the third game just two years after. Makes me wonder how much time they plan on spending on the rest of the games.

As we have said before, it only took that amount of time because they jumped from Xbox to Xbox 360 as a platform. Had to grasp the new tools and hardware capabilities they had at hand first and utilise them. Fable III will be on the same system as Fable II and therefore they already have all the tools and knowledge they need. They already have the base engine and dont need to build the game from scratch and will probably use existing models, animations and meshes and update them etc.

Wonderfoole WINO

Schizoid Misanthopist
Reaction score

Well, we won't be seeing Fables 4 and 5 for a number of years, they just have the basic storyline planned out that far, and plan to continue the series through all 5 games.

nstalaat

Never Knows Best
Reaction score

When do you think Peter will gather the courage to set his games in a non-Medieval setting? Fable in a slightly more modern time, although similar to GTA series, would undoubtedly be fun if it is not as limited as the previous fable games.

Zjuggernaut

Just plain talented!
Reaction score

nstalaat;331053 said:
When do you think Peter will gather the courage to set his games in a non-Medieval setting? Fable in a slightly more modern time, although similar to GTA series, would undoubtedly be fun if it is not as limited as the previous fable games.

Then it wouldn't be Fable.

That would p*ss everyone off, no one would buy it and Fable means Story as used years ago. I doubt we would see "Hi! Ima Niko Belic! And this is Fable IV!"

GaEv

Reaction score

Zjuggernaut;331077 said:

That would p*ss everyone off, no one would buy it and Fable means Story as used years ago. I doubt we would see "Hi! Ima Niko Belic! And this is Fable IV!"

Agreed. Taking the games away from their fantasy setting wouldn't be courage, it would be stupidity.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score

Not to mention that if a future Fable game was set in modern times, firearms would be so technologically advanced that there would be no use for melee weapons, and probably Will powers.

nstalaat

Never Knows Best
Reaction score

I didn't mean to set Fable IV in 1990's NY I meant take a step similar to Assassins Creed. Advance beyond what you did last time yet keep the gameplay based around the same elements the functioned properly in the last game. That series moved forward to a new era which i think was a brilliant move because it justifies the abolishment of old and bad gameplay mechanics and the introduction of new ones. I also never said that the future Albion had to resemble the world we live in today.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score

Zjuggernaut;331077 said:

yaa in the words of Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation

Zero Punctuation reviewing Fable 2 said:
remember in the sims how you had to go to work every day and play a minigame for 8 hours where you throw envelopes into the pigeon holes? of course not! because it would REALLY F***ING BORING!

it's just not a fable if it's in modern day. thats a direct contradiction the the series title :lol:

nstalaat

Never Knows Best
Reaction score

slightly more modern time
I did not say Fable in the year 2000 or even 1900
Also, will powers as of the last game were fairly useless compared to guns and swords, not that moving foreword to the future makes magic ineffective. Just look at star wars or bioshock (not that I want fable to copy them). All I said was Peter should put Fable into a bit more modern of a setting, not only would the main character and his problems be more relatable, but it provides an opportunity to get rid of old gameplay elements.

Fable:
fabrication: a deliberately false or improbable account
a short moral story (often with animal characters)
legend: a story about mythical or supernatural beings or events

The definition of fable places no time constraint on the setting.

Fabled Ravrn

Reaction score

It jumped 500 years from Fable: The Lost chapters, which I think is more than enough, and I enjoy the fact that Fable II is going to be a few years after Fable II, and uses the existing savegame to base your world off of, which was what me and my brother suggested. Fable being modern just wouldn't fit, they could do it, but you will come to understand that it'd be a bad move.

Also, you keep saying old gameplay elements and how they sucked in Fable and Fable 2. They didn't, they were great, just the gameplay was short. To take out "old gameplay elements" and put in a more modern story would comepletely tear the foundation of the franchise from its feet up, it then would NOT be Fable anymore.

nstalaat

Never Knows Best
Reaction score

My example of a old gameplay element would be a minimap/ glowing gold trail that leads you to your location. Replace that with a sign, or attempt to make the world less divided and with less zones, there was no reason for Bowerstone to be divided into 3 parts.

let me quote yahtzee as well
"fable two is actually pretty restrictive compared to some sandbox games"

A horrible thing to be said when the game is based around the concept of nonlinear story choices.

As long as we are in something resembling an open world with magical powers facing against an oppressive and unarguably evil/corrupted overlord; it's still fable.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score

It might still be Fable if they modernized it, but it would be a horrible game. It would in fact make magic and melee weapons obsolete (more so melee weapons) if a large enough jump into the future was made. The only reason the force is useful in Star Wars is because it is powerful enough to combat highly advanced ranged weapons with ease. Will powers don't work the same way.

Luckily, Lionhead is smart enough to avoid a modernized Fable.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score

How the f*ck can that possibly contribute to this discussion? If you don't have anything useful to say, kindly shut the f*ck up.

Kewl Munky

Reaction score

I honestly wish they would have kept the story around the same time as the first game. I just really loved the medieval feel. If they really felt they must move the story far into the future they could have waited until the 3rd or 4th game. I wanted at least one more game in the time of the first fable.

I'm still crossing my fingers on the possibility of a prequel to the first game that's set in the time of the old kingdom ^_^

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score

Kewl Munky;331745 said:
I'm still crossing my fingers on the possibility of a prequel to the first game that's set in the time of the old kingdom ^_^

That's always a possibility. Or they could add something to the 'Fall of the Guild' era that a game could be built around.

GaEv

Reaction score

nstalaat;331142 said:
I didn't mean to set Fable IV in 1990's NY I meant take a step similar to Assassins Creed. Advance beyond what you did last time yet keep the gameplay based around the same elements the functioned properly in the last game. That series moved forward to a new era which i think was a brilliant move because it justifies the abolishment of old and bad gameplay mechanics and the introduction of new ones. I also never said that the future Albion had to resemble the world we live in today.

First Fable: Medieval
Second Fable: Evidence of Colonial eras.
Third Fable: Talk of industrialiastion.

We are already into early modernity. If you don't think he has moved on time frame wise you clearly haven't been paying attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.