• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Fan Fiction- Tales from the Dark Age

Status
Not open for further replies.

weirdkidinabox

Eccentric Genious
Premium
Reaction score
Fan Fiction- Tales from the Dark Age

Okay since the concept of introducing a fanfiction area to the site was mentioned I have been working on a series of fanfictions all, obviously based on Fable. All these fanfictions are interlinked and based on what I call- The Dark Age. This is the first short story I have finished for the Tales from the Dark Age fanfiction. There are three different parts to the Dark Age, these are explained below. And below that is the actual story itself. Enjoy, comment, discuss, theorise about the possible plot and all that. All three of the stories make up what I call the "Dark Age Chronicles" and its going to be a while before the Chronicles are totally complete. I know the breakdown of it may seem confusing but please if you want anything explained just ask.

Before The Dark Age-
The story telling of how the Dark Age came to be and explaning the past of some of the characters from the main story.

Tales from the Dark Age-
Just some random short stories about different characters during the Dark Age to expand the world at that time.

The Dark Age Destinies-
The main story about the Dark Ages.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Tales from the Dark Ages: The First Incursion

His feet pounded the cold concrete flooring of the Guild halls, his heart raced inside his chest, as if it was about to explode forth and leave him dead and bleeding. His plate-mail armour chinked as he careered onwards down the slim corridors and dimly lit hallways. He couldn’t hear anything, all the sound had been completely and unabashedly eclipsed by the thumping inside his chest, the fear inside his head. With a moments notice he lunged forth from the end of the corridor into the library foyer just before the hallway he exited exploded and was consumed in a sea of violent flames and collapsing stone. Girders of thick oak which once supported the upper levels of the guild creaked and groaned in an effort to maintain their strength. The Hero closed his eyes as a dust of cold ocean blue dispersed from his body and washed over the flames extinguishing them. He grappled to his feet, once again now he took off like lightning through the guild, searching and looking at every turn. As his body whirled around a door his fingers gripped the door frame, his nail caught loosely upon a sliver of metal which protruded from the heavy set oak, it tore his nail clean off. He ignored the pain, pushing it down inside him, the rage and frustration building he moved onwards. He was getting closer now to the young ones. The trainee apprentices. He bolted down the final corridor, his lungs exhaled a final gasp of breath as his hand reached for his blade. The sound of screams louder than his heart beat could be heard now. His heart raced faster as his blade, now unsheathed, raised to the air. He burst through the door, it swung heavily against the wall. Before him lay the bodies of several of the young apprentices, three more cowered in the corner. He turned his head away for a mere moment in disgust. That was all it took. He felt cold steel pierce his plate-mail armour. The serrated edges of a sword drove deep into his side. He felt the blood run free from his flesh as his mouth gaped wide open. With a thrust he whirled his body round, his sword scathing the ground before meeting the skull of one of Orem’s minions. It scalped the wicked creature and with a ear piercing scream it collapsed to the ground. The blade still embedded in the Heroes side he gasped for breath as he took hold of the blade and dragged it from the wound. As the end of the blade exited his body the torn skin and ripped muscle gushed blood inside his armour. He fell to his knees,
“Avo give me strength.”
His words seemed in vain as a voice echoed in behind him,
“Your god is dead. You pray to your Lord Orem now!”
With a moments instantaneous reaction the Heroes blade once again raised as he fell to his back on the ground just in time to block an attack from another of Orem’s minions. With all the force he could muster through his muscles he pushed his assailants sword back and struggled to his feet. The warm blood trickled down his skin, past his thigh and down his leg. He didn’t have much time, the last of his potions were gone, given to a villager just before he entered the Guild. Forcing himself back against a wall, his vision becoming blurred, he thrust himself off the wall, his blade raised,
“FOR THE GUILD AND FOR AVO!”
The scream of the man, like a possessed worshipper of Skorm, resounded through the Guild, through the flames, as his blade drove forth and pierced the ragged dull green scales of the minion of Orem. The creatures eyes, dull, black and listless widened as its mouth gawked open. Blood stained jagged teeth snapped at the Hero. Thrusting the sword further into the creature the Hero tore a free hand from the hilt of the blade and grappled with the mouth of the beast. Catching a grip of the bottom jaw of the minion he was unprepared for the strength of the devilish bastard as it clamped its jaws down, piercing and amputating the Heroes index finger. With a roar of strength the Hero thrust his hand down. A teeth cringing crack and a shatter of bone could be heard as the minions jaw snapped. With a final grunt the Hero once again took hold of the beasts jaw and this time, with no mercy, no regret, he tore it right off. The beast fell backwards, the sword still embedded into its chest.
“I worship before the alter of Avo, your false god Orem will fall to the Heroes of Albion soon enough.”
Tearing his blade from the minion he gazed, uncaring, at his missing index finger. He was to die soon enough, any Hero knew the wound that festered in his side was there not to be healed, but to send him to met the god Avo. He didn’t have much time, he quickly gathered his blade and turning to the trainee apprentices he steadied himself,
“We must go, the Guild Master awaits your safe return.”
The three apprentices, all no older then fourteen, merely nodded, their peers who had fallen valiantly had earned their well deserved place at Avo’s side. With the apprentices in tow the Hero trudged onwards through the burning enflamed halls of the guild, once again the wood creaked. Reaching the rear exit of the Guild the apprentices made for the woods, the sanctum of the Guild Master. The Hero paused for a moment, he turned to the Guild, people rushed in and out with buckets of water to try and douse the fires that raged inside. Orem had gone too far, he had destroyed towns and killed many before this, he had defied the gods but treachery against the Guild of this magnitude would mean all out war. A searing noise echoed distant through the countryside, a high pitched whistle. Orem’s catapults at Look Point were launching again. The Hero struggled as best he could to reach the woods, he stumbled at the archery range and there he knelt, his blade jagged into the ground, vertical, his arm slung around the hilt, the only thing keeping him upright. He turned for a moment, one last Heroes last glance at the Guild before Avo took him. The last he seen was a mass fireball tear through the eastern tower of the Guild, the stone collapsed, the roofing toppled. The Heroes held knelt as he uttered his final words,
“My Avo save us. The Dark Age has truly begun.”

A

ALtesha

Re: Fan Fiction- Tales from the Dark Age

o_O Wow... o_O

Now THAT is worthy lecture!

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Great story mate +rep for the effort taken alone. Great descriptions and explainations!

weirdkidinabox

Eccentric Genious
Premium
Reaction score

Dark Drakan;29086 said:
Great story mate +rep for the effort taken alone. Great descriptions and explainations!

Heck, whats up there (hopefully) will pale in comparison to the finished main story.

Thanks for the +rep also but its not really needed but thanks anyway :)

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

weirdkidinabox;29087 said:
Heck, whats up there (hopefully) will pale in comparison to the finished main story.

Thanks for the +rep also but its not really needed but thanks anyway :)

Look forward to seeing the rest then ;) :thumbsup:

*Thread Moved To More Appropriate Section

weirdkidinabox

Eccentric Genious
Premium
Reaction score

Dark Drakan;29088 said:
Look forward to seeing the rest then ;) :thumbsup:

*Thread Moved To More Appropriate Section

The rest of the stuff is going to take a while, I keep changing and adding things that will make the history of the story more immersive then I have to go and include all that stuff in the main story. Head melting.

Thanks for moving the thread, I wasnt at all sure if it was in the right forum, I only placed it in the Fable forum cause Fable Freak had his fiction there. Now I know for future reference ^_^

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

weirdkidinabox;29091 said:
The rest of the stuff is going to take a while, I keep changing and adding things that will make the history of the story more immersive then I have to go and include all that stuff in the main story. Head melting.

Thanks for moving the thread, I wasnt at all sure if it was in the right forum, I only placed it in the Fable forum cause Fable Freak had his fiction there. Now I know for future reference ^_^

Always good to make sure its how you want it before posting it :p

Must have missed FableFreaks or something then..... :hmm:

A

ALtesha

lecture - food for people who like to read
OOOo, look, i found a translation site!
*Looks on to the site and types "lectuur" - dutch - English*
The site says: reading matter
Thank you translation site!

weirdkidinabox

Eccentric Genious
Premium
Reaction score

ALtesha;29109 said:
lecture - food for people who like to read
OOOo, look, i found a translation site!
*Looks on to the site and types "lectuur" - dutch - English*
The site says: reading matter
Thank you translation site!

Ah, good good. Currently working on chapter four of the main story at the moment :ninja:

Do you have any stories around?

F

Fable_Fan005

wow i really like it the use of a new good it reminds me of a somewhat of a holy war good work

weirdkidinabox

Eccentric Genious
Premium
Reaction score

Fable_Fan005;29211 said:
wow i really like it the use of a new good it reminds me of a somewhat of a holy war good work

Everything gets very indepth with all the other segments they explain how Orem came to power and the wars he waged against the guild and everything such as that. It explains about prophecies and some other stuff. It is somewhat of a holy war but mostly just a fight against pure evil and dominance throughout Albion.

^_^

F

Fable_Fan005

wow yours migh just end up being beter than mine

weirdkidinabox

Eccentric Genious
Premium
Reaction score

Fable_Fan005;29221 said:
wow yours migh just end up being beter than mine

Main story (Dark Age Destinies) I aiming for roughly 40, 000 to 60,000 words and it follows the life of the apparent saviour of Albion from his conception to his final battle with the dark forces that have ravaged Albion. It also plots the fall of Orem, introduces what are known as "The Seers of Avo" and a group of heroes left after the destruction of the guild called "The Brethren of Avo" who are sworn to protect and to train the saviour of Albion. Its all very post apocalyptic and dramatic.

Before The Dark Ages is all based on Orem and how he came to power, his quest for the stone of Aker and also spans the duration of the Seven Year War against the guild. Tales of the Dark Age are just short stories all of which link into the main story in some way or another. Tales is pretty much just to expand the mini-verse a little more.

As for comparisons and whose is better- we both have our own unique ways od writing so its difficult to judge. Besides it not about competition for me, I just enjoy writing and loosing myself in it.

A

ALtesha

Oh yep I've got my own fan fiction here, It's called Misha's story. I also like writing in my own personal books and It's a lot easier to put details in those stories!

weirdkidinabox

Eccentric Genious
Premium
Reaction score

ALtesha;29662 said:
Oh yep I've got my own fan fiction here, It's called Misha's story. I also like writing in my own personal books and It's a lot easier to put details in those stories!

I usually prefer fanfictions, preset worlds are easier to write for in my opinion, providing you know plenty of detail relating to the fanfictional world itself. Thats not to say I havent dabbled with all out fiction and scripts as well. I must check out your fiction....

Steve

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Name
Steve

Wow, it's a shame I only just noticed this thread. I have yet to begin reading your first story here, Gary, but if it's anything like your Fable: Dark Age submission then I'm sure it will no doubt be as superb. I have bookmarked the thread and I'm looking forward to checking out this piece early tomorrow.

+rep

D

Darg

Simply awesome. A bit graphic, but it portrays a feeling of hopelessness and death. I like the writing. Keep on writing! I want to hear more.

weirdkidinabox

Eccentric Genious
Premium
Reaction score

Darg;38540 said:
Simply awesome. A bit graphic, but it portrays a feeling of hopelessness and death. I like the writing. Keep on writing! I want to hear more.

Lol, Im thinking dark times so violence is obviously going to be playing a major part in the occurances, its war and war (more often than not) isnt pretty or clean- its bloody and dirty and sometimes pretty twisted. Though I dont think I have stretched as far as twisted quite yet lol...

I do have another story sitting around on the forum somewhere, much longer, going to be full length when its done. Also working on another one shot since Im too busy these days to get really in depth with the main story.

:ninja:

D

Darg

weirdkidinabox;40080 said:
Lol, Im thinking dark times so violence is obviously going to be playing a major part in the occurances, its war and war (more often than not) isnt pretty or clean- its bloody and dirty and sometimes pretty twisted. Though I dont think I have stretched as far as twisted quite yet lol...

I do have another story sitting around on the forum somewhere, much longer, going to be full length when its done. Also working on another one shot since Im too busy these days to get really in depth with the main story.

:ninja:

I'm looking forward to a new chapter sometime soon, even if you are a bit busy (So am I- I have about six stories at home in progress I have yet to work on- currently I have one in the Fan Fiction area). I enjoy your writing style. You can really portray the setting and the mood well. It's as if you were actually there in a way. Tell me the names of your other stories, as I'd like to read them. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.