• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Feel Love in Fable

How do you think all this talk of making you feeling Love will effect you?

• I usually love my characters anyway.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Meh Whatever

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • I’m buying extra boxes of tissue when I buy Fable 2

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • There not going to make ME cry

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
X

xboxer360

Re: Feel Love in Fable

i dont know, i think that id get attached 2 the dog and if he died.. well, maybe id cry. i dont know, but the idea of having a kid is kinda cool, i hope you can like take him out and teach him2 kill and stuff... id hav like tons of kids.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score

I wouldn`t cry, I can say that. I was rather disappointed when I realised that Scythe had so little part in the story. I feel sorry for him.
But the saddest part in any game (which I can remember now) was when...

The Ninja died in the end of Metal Gear Solid 1.

R

royajcm

Love? I hope so, Fable TLC was kinda boring, the storyline was excellent and for an adventure I really enjoyed it. If what I am hearing is true, I am all for it I really liked Baldur's Gate two and that was the first time where you had to romance a character, say the right things, or kablooey it wasn't going to happen and if you experience that (the playing of BGII) you can really understand how far you could take a game and draw you into the world of fantasy.
So far the RPGs nowaday, are okay whatever, FFIIV was another game where I really cared about the characters, yeah I got really sad when Aeris died.
Fable was really a surprise when I first played it, and I totally enjoyed it, but as for the romances, I.e. marriage, I was disappointed and the accents, Eww! probably the biggest detractor, I wouldn't have mind a more proper british accent.
Anyways this is totally off topic, yeah if He does it right I would love it!

M

madmagemc

I agree with the wealth of opinion here in that it would be might hard to get me to 'love' the characters in the game at all. I believe I understand what they're after with this, really, but in the long run, they were after a lot of the same things with both Fable and TLC, and fell short on both accounts. As several have pointed out, there is no lasting repercussion for anything you do in the game, good or bad. The interviews and press releases seem to indicate they're going to fix that with Fable 2, and I sincerely hope they do, because without repercussion there is no accountability, and without accountability, there is no emotional involvement.

One thing I did enjoy in Fable was the subtle pointers to the Ultima series, which were spearheaded by another man who wanted to do everything he could to immerse the players emotions in the game, not just their lustful alter egos. (As an aside, I purchased the Avatar title as soon as I discovered it was available simply because Ultima 5 is STILL my favorite RPG of all time.) The middle three Ultimas(4, 5, and 6) did a very good job of involving the player and getting them concerned about the welfare of the characters, but the later games fell into the 'we have to make it pretty, not involving' trap, which left the me, and others I've talked to, feeling... disappointed and kind of empty at the end. Like, "that was it?" No grand sense of accomplishment, no excitement for replay, no nothing. That's essentially how I felt at the end of Fable as well. "That's it?" Of course, I didn't find out until later (on this forum, actually), that if you let the credits run, you can keep playing. I was thrilled to find out about TLC, and promptly purchased a copy as soon as I could. The game feels much fuller and more realistic than the original, but there is still that void in regards to consequences for your actions.

So even though a companion dog and the possibility of kids present some interesting opportunities to involve the player emotionally, I seriously doubt they will achieve even a modicum of the 'love' aspect they're aspiring to. I can care about a character, even be emotionally upset when something bad happens to them (I'm not ashamed to admit I've cried at movies, books, and even the very rare RPG), but once the book closes or the credits roll, I move the heck on. I do wonder, though, if, when playing as a female character who is pregnant, the combat abilities, et. al. will be affected by the pregnancy, or if the pregnancy will be another one of those poorly executed extras like sleeping with your spouse? Screen turns black and out pops the kid?

Origin Systems created worlds that were emotionally involving and taxing, and so far, only the Elder Scrolls folks have really come close (and in some cases, surpassed) what Origin started. Fable, in retrospect and by comparison, really came off as an 'also ran', you know? Great game, and highly enjoyable, but not the kind of game I'll have long conversations about or spend lazy afternoons wishing to visit. (I would STILL like to visit Buccaneer's Den.) The bar is irrevocably cast high, and for them to reach it, they're really going to have to invest in far more than just making it look pretty. And kicking chickens. It'll take more than that, too. :p

But then, that's just my opinion... I could be wrong. :D

A

Arcturius

I'm definatly a dog person so if my dog died I dont think id cry. Crying is your body getting rid of excess emotions am i correct? Then if I did cry, they would be tears of excess rage for that ******* who killed my dog. They definatly wouldn't be tears of sorrow. Id only cry if the in-game dog looked exactly like my dog in RL, and then id probly only have a 10% chance of shedding a tear.

L

LionHeadTex

I don't really think you guys are getting the point :lol:

Feeling loved is when you see the guys at the pub signing songs about you. Feeling "Loved" is when the little kids from the school watch you pass them by, and they awe with inspiration. You don't have to feel the love, but you are loved in the game. Either with one side, or the other. Love isn't weeping and using tissue boxes, it's a variety of things.

And i'm preety dissapointed how people don't think they'll feel the love. We all did in Fable, right? Some might, more than others. But when you got that legendary sword and pointed it up in the air, you loved that. When the teacher in Bowerstone read those scary books to the kids, I loved that :lol:. I think when you truly feel loved, you don't even expect it.

That's just my opinion, but I just guessed people could put it into consideration :ninja:

C

Canuhearmenow

In my Opinion, they already got the dog part dead on. As in, think about it, the first rule they put into the game for the dog is that the dog LOVES you, unconditionally. So when people see the dog, they will first be "Alright, I wagging minimap!" and just run off. After a while, though, they will soon be giving the dog nicknames and going berserk at the slightest damage the dog gets, why? Because the dog was made to be as realistic as possible, its supposed to be YOUR dog, not a stock dog made to just run around. Think of it this way, you are running around, killing hobbes, when your dog gets hurt, you don't notice it, and run to town, you get stuck in town, and as you are walking, you hear a whimper behind you, you turn around to see your limping, dirty dog behind you, what would you do? The obvious human reaction would be to help him and love him, but would you do that?

Also, I hope they greatly improve the Love system in Fable 2, in Fable TLC, they would just go about they're daily lives, occasionaly saying Wow or Thats my Man! But what they failed to put in was the whole "They actually care about you." part. I want to see men dressing as me (Because it would become the fashion) I want to see women fight over me, I want a more advanced talking system (When you initiate talk, you have a list of options, like weather, recent rumors) I want to hear people whisper around rumors about me (Like, "Hey, did you hear Avatar has a crush on Betty?") And finally, the one I would love the most, would-be adventurers following me, asking repeatedly if I would allow them to follow me, like "Hey Avatar, you were my inspiration to become a adventurer, may I follow you?" And they give more desperate responses if you say no, hell, perhaps they would jump of a cliff or shoot themselves in desperation!

Orpheus Lupus

The Pretty-Okay Doctor
Reaction score

I usually love my characters anyway. I easily form an attachment to things (especially characters I customize or create myself) sometimes :p

That said, the dog will be great, and I really like the idea of my character being able to have an actual family. I ALWAYS like that in games, having some mundane real-life stuff mixed in with the awesome parts.

Albion Knight

Premium
Reaction score

madmagemc;91430 said:
I agree with the wealth of opinion here in that it would be might hard to get me to 'love' the characters in the game at all. I believe I understand what they're after with this, really, but in the long run, they were after a lot of the same things with both Fable and TLC, and fell short on both accounts. As several have pointed out, there is no lasting repercussion for anything you do in the game, good or bad. The interviews and press releases seem to indicate they're going to fix that with Fable 2, and I sincerely hope they do, because without repercussion there is no accountability, and without accountability, there is no emotional involvement.

One thing I did enjoy in Fable was the subtle pointers to the Ultima series, which were spearheaded by another man who wanted to do everything he could to immerse the players emotions in the game, not just their lustful alter egos. (As an aside, I purchased the Avatar title as soon as I discovered it was available simply because Ultima 5 is STILL my favorite RPG of all time.) The middle three Ultimas(4, 5, and 6) did a very good job of involving the player and getting them concerned about the welfare of the characters, but the later games fell into the 'we have to make it pretty, not involving' trap, which left the me, and others I've talked to, feeling... disappointed and kind of empty at the end. Like, "that was it?" No grand sense of accomplishment, no excitement for replay, no nothing. That's essentially how I felt at the end of Fable as well. "That's it?" Of course, I didn't find out until later (on this forum, actually), that if you let the credits run, you can keep playing. I was thrilled to find out about TLC, and promptly purchased a copy as soon as I could. The game feels much fuller and more realistic than the original, but there is still that void in regards to consequences for your actions.

So even though a companion dog and the possibility of kids present some interesting opportunities to involve the player emotionally, I seriously doubt they will achieve even a modicum of the 'love' aspect they're aspiring to. I can care about a character, even be emotionally upset when something bad happens to them (I'm not ashamed to admit I've cried at movies, books, and even the very rare RPG), but once the book closes or the credits roll, I move the heck on. I do wonder, though, if, when playing as a female character who is pregnant, the combat abilities, et. al. will be affected by the pregnancy, or if the pregnancy will be another one of those poorly executed extras like sleeping with your spouse? Screen turns black and out pops the kid?

Origin Systems created worlds that were emotionally involving and taxing, and so far, only the Elder Scrolls folks have really come close (and in some cases, surpassed) what Origin started. Fable, in retrospect and by comparison, really came off as an 'also ran', you know? Great game, and highly enjoyable, but not the kind of game I'll have long conversations about or spend lazy afternoons wishing to visit. (I would STILL like to visit Buccaneer's Den.) The bar is irrevocably cast high, and for them to reach it, they're really going to have to invest in far more than just making it look pretty. And kicking chickens. It'll take more than that, too. :p

But then, that's just my opinion... I could be wrong. :D

I've thought that same thing about Fable. It does have a bit of the Quest of the Avatar in it. I haven't seen a game since that had that element of mercy in it. The Bell, Book and Candle and the Eight Virtues it was an awesome game. Definitely one of the best of all time.

One thing I find remarkable is how many people have voted in this poll. It seems that Peter is right about that element. Here's hoping he nails it.
.....__
.__|..|__
|__....__| REP
.....|_|

G

gdude987654321

im somewhat skeptical of the game making me feel loved... i think the dog is awesome and i cant wait to play with it ... i really hope fable 2 can make me feel emotions when im playing it... especially towards the dog

E

element1

well i loved the first fable more tahn any game ever. i wish i was a part of it!!!! and now that Molyneux is trying to make us feel love i dont know what i am going to do its gonna be emotional. and i will never want fable2 to end

gdude987654321;101182 said:
im somewhat skeptical of the making me feel loved... i think the dog is awesome and i cant wait to play... i really hope they can make me feel emotions during the game... especially towards the dog

What are you trying to say?lol

Canuhearmenow;100879 said:
In my Opinion, they already got the dog part dead on. As in, think about it, the first rule they put into the game for the dog is that the dog LOVES you, unconditionally. So when people see the dog, they will first be "Alright, I wagging minimap!" and just run off. After a while, though, they will soon be giving the dog nicknames and going berserk at the slightest damage the dog gets, why? Because the dog was made to be as realistic as possible, its supposed to be YOUR dog, not a stock dog made to just run around. Think of it this way, you are running around, killing hobbes, when your dog gets hurt, you don't notice it, and run to town, you get stuck in town, and as you are walking, you hear a whimper behind you, you turn around to see your limping, dirty dog behind you, what would you do? The obvious human reaction would be to help him and love him, but would you do that?

Also, I hope they greatly improve the Love system in Fable 2, in Fable TLC, they would just go about they're daily lives, occasionaly saying Wow or Thats my Man! But what they failed to put in was the whole "They actually care about you." part. I want to see men dressing as me (Because it would become the fashion) I want to see women fight over me, I want a more advanced talking system (When you initiate talk, you have a list of options, like weather, recent rumors) I want to hear people whisper around rumors about me (Like, "Hey, did you hear Avatar has a crush on Betty?") And finally, the one I would love the most, would-be adventurers following me, asking repeatedly if I would allow them to follow me, like "Hey Avatar, you were my inspiration to become a adventurer, may I follow you?" And they give more desperate responses if you say no, hell, perhaps they would jump of a cliff or shoot themselves in desperation!

Your ideas are like perfect. They should incorporate all of that in Fable2

and just to let everyone know... i

and just to let everyone know... I CANT WAIT ANOHTER DAY FOR FABLE2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I MEAN U DONT EVEN UNDERSTAND

Albion Knight

Premium
Reaction score

element1;101855 said:
and just to let everyone know... I CANT WAIT ANOHTER DAY FOR FABLE2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I MEAN U DONT EVEN UNDERSTAND
Oh I think I understand :thumbsup: