• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Films that Break the Mold

Tyloric

Illogical Process of Elimination
Reaction score
To us real Godzilla fans (read: the Japanese flicks) the '98 US version was blasphemy.

I love the '98 and the classics. I own the entire collection. :p
(Mechagodzilla ftw)

L0ki

The Six Gun Caballero
Reaction score
I love the '98 and the classics. I own the entire collection. :p
(Mechagodzilla ftw)

I didn't like the '98 version... and that God awful theme song it had by Puff Daddy.

L0ki

The Six Gun Caballero
Reaction score
I enjoyed Godzilla more than I did Cloverfield.

Cloverfield was... pretty damn awful.

"Guys... I don't feel so good T_T... BBGGRRBRRLLLL *boom*"

For us big Cloverfield fans that were super excited about the movie before its release, J.J. Abrams released secret Web Blogs, secret websites, secret commercials, that basically were all keyed together. They led up to the details of what took place in the actual movie. So if you actually watch the web blogs (I remember, there was a website that had secret VLOGS that you had to hack into, so you could watch the videos).

Anyway, if you watched all the Vlods, read the blogs, read the websites, etc, the movie makes TOTAL sense; However, if you didn't know about any of these, and just watched the movie, I understand that you most likely wouldn't get it at all. Besides that fact there's some big monster wrecking New York City.

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score
Let the right one in is awesome. Not the american one, the original, funny thing I downloaded it. It was in English, bought it on dvd its subtitled so no english audio, made me sad face.

Tyloric

Illogical Process of Elimination
Reaction score
For us big Cloverfield fans that were super excited about the movie before its release, J.J. Abrams released secret Web Blogs, secret websites, secret commercials, that basically were all keyed together. They led up to the details of what took place in the actual movie. So if you actually watch the web blogs (I remember, there was a website that had secret VLOGS that you had to hack into, so you could watch the videos).

Anyway, if you watched all the Vlods, read the blogs, read the websites, etc, the movie makes TOTAL sense; However, if you didn't know about any of these, and just watched the movie, I understand that you most likely wouldn't get it at all. Besides that fact there's some big monster wrecking New York City.

And seriously, that's just bad film making. Needing context outside the film itself (unless it's a sequel) to understand and enjoy is not a good idea.

L0ki

The Six Gun Caballero
Reaction score
And seriously, that's just bad film making. Needing context outside the film itself (unless it's a sequel) to understand and enjoy is not a good idea.

I totally agree with you, but J.J. Abrams is known for not being the normal Director and I actually enjoy the fact that he keeps most of his things this way, because if you're a J.J. Abrams fan, you'd definitely look more into his movies, etc. So to us fans, it's fun, and it makes us feel more into the movie because of it; However, I do agree that it is bad film making, due to leaving MAJORITY of the audience in the dark.

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score

I had no idea he did any of that kind of stuff for the movie. That's actually pretty cool in my opinion. Also, I liked Cloverfield. Was interesting. :p

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
Anyway, the film I'd like to put out there is:

9th Company.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVB9Xz2DyME

It's all in Russian, but with English sub-titles.

I was going to suggest 9th Company too, but eventually decided not to, because it's not that unique. Although as far as dramatic war movies go, it's up there in my favorites list.
Sucker Punch
I didn't like Sucker Punch. It was mostly due to bad marketing and my lack of knowledge about the film beforehand so I expected something much different. Eventually, the shift in theme didn't bother me much, but the overall execution still seemed lackluster.
(The action scenes were the poorest part in the movie in my opinion)
You don't need that context. I've never heard of the videos/blogs before and I enjoyed the movie. Those extra pits and pieces just give fans more to chew on.

Off topic: any difference between using "film" or "movie"?

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
Off topic: any difference between using "film" or "movie"?

I think the most important difference is that 'film' can be used for a variety of recorded videos, as this right here
film.jpg
is actually a piece of film. With that, you can record something of ten seconds, and still call it a film, whereas I think that all movies are essentially longer videos, of which the kind is presented in a cinema. This also makes it so that all movies are film, but not all films are movies. Although, if you say 'I'm watching a film', you will probably mean an actual movie.

That's just my theory...

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Actually, the cluelessness of the movie is what makes Cloverfield. You're not supposed to know what is going on because with the POV-styled cinematography it is obvious that they want you to become the guy holding the camcorder and experience it from his point of view; and he has, like the rest of the people, no clue what's going on.

By the way, here is a bit of trivia I bet most of you don't know about: at the very end of the movie they cut back to some footage of the two riding a Ferris-wheel at Coney Island. If you look out towards the ocean you'll see something come crashing down and making a big but soundless splash. That was the Tagruato Satellite and when they went to retrieve it they woke Clover up. Tagruato Corp. is a fictional deep-sea mining corporation, complete with a "real" corporate website and stuff.

JJ Abrams said that the monster had lived in the ocean for thousands of years(Yay, Lovecraftian!) and that it this was it's first time on land.

I find it very clever that you can either play detective and research this fictional movie in a very real way as you would research an actual incident, or just go watch the movie through the eyes of one of the characters. The movie was never about a monster attack, but rather how a monster attack would affect individual persons.

Drew2686

Nap time is before pants time.
Reaction score
I didn't care for Pan's Labyrinth much. Just...meh.

Two from me are The Boondock Saints and Equilibrium.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
By the way, here is a bit of trivia I bet most of you don't know about: at the very end of the movie they cut back to some footage of the two riding a Ferris-wheel at Coney Island. If you look out towards the ocean you'll see something come crashing down and making a big but soundless splash. That was the Tagruato Satellite and when they went to retrieve it they woke Clover up. Tagruato Corp. is a fictional deep-sea mining corporation, complete with a "real" corporate website and stuff.

JJ Abrams said that the monster had lived in the ocean for thousands of years(Yay, Lovecraftian!) and that it this was it's first time on land.

I always thought the thing that fell form the sky was the beast itself. I didn't notice it when I first watched Cloverfield, but after finding it on the Internet, I immediately watched that part again. Was a true "holy s***" moment.

Another thing, maybe only a speculation: I heard that when they're making a sequel, it's from the point of view of the guy with the camera in the bridge scene. So in the sequel you'd see the first movie's POV dude for some seconds.

About breaking the fourth wall: it's similar to what Doom III did with http://martianbuddy.com
You should all go watch Pan's Labyrinth. Do it. Right now.

:thumbsup:

L0ki

The Six Gun Caballero
Reaction score
I always thought the thing that fell form the sky was the beast itself. I didn't notice it when I first watched Cloverfield, but after finding it on the Internet, I immediately watched that part again. Was a true "holy s***" moment.

Actually, the thing that fell from the sky was a Satellite.

And here are two websites that are linked to Cloverfield (Remember, these websites came up and running before the movie was released, so a lot of us who were anticipating it, had to do a lot of research and it was AMAZINGLY FUN):

http://www.slusho.jp/

and

http://www.tagruato.jp/index2.php

El Mosqueton

Party Animal
Reaction score
Kick Ass > Sucker Punch
I know, I actually hated Sucker Punch
I didn't like Sucker Punch. It was mostly due to bad marketing and my lack of knowledge about the film beforehand so I expected something much different. Eventually, the shift in theme didn't bother me much, but the overall execution still seemed lackluster.
(The action scenes were the poorest part in the movie in my opinion)
I agree, the movie had everything to be at least mildly amusing (see dragons, robots, chicks, nazis, etc) and yet, it seemed boring as hell.

HobbeBrain

It's getting better, man!
Reaction score
I think Suckerpunch broke from the mold, some people say it was a cheap ripoff with boring fight scenes and overused reliance on bewbs, but I particularly enjoyed the Shakespearean references and the pinteresque ambilivance.

In seriousness: WATER WORLD. It's underated, but a pretty good film in my opinion.

Firis

Amateur Human
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
I know it was a mainstream movie but: I thought Daybreakers was fairly interesting.