• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

GTA V Mods infect Users (myself included) & Gaming sites with malware.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
**** sake, is anything sacred anymore? Of course not. This is just low. :/

Been all over the news now, but a couple weeks ago two mods were released in the GTA V PC modding community called "Angry Planes" and "Simple NoClip", seemed innocent enough with the former providing endless hilarity and when coupled with the awesome Peds Riot Mod made for an exhilarating experience. Well, they say your worst enemy will come at you with a smile and open arms, and that's exactly what happened. A guy from Denmark uploaded one of said legit scripted mods and it became a big hit, but he rigged it with a keylogging malware that fires up whenever you launch GTA V. Once launched, the malware logs your typing and relays it back to his server. Its main purpose was to steal passwords and various login info.

Facebook, YouTube, Steam, and Twitch were the main targets. Twitch & Youtube so he could hijack your accounts and direct them to his channels to spam it to boost viewcounts. Steam & Facebook for personal info, Steam market items (to sell to himself), and credit card info. All of this for the sake of quick money. And he succeeded in some cases. He stole $8,000 off one guy, nabbed the credit card info off another, hijacked steam accounts & re-sold thousands of steam market items from other people for himself, and snagged a good number of Youtube & Facebook accounts. Some gaming sites were also hit as they downloaded the mod for the sake of demo/showcasing.

Thankfully I can count myself among the lucky ones that didn't get my info stolen, my antivirus (Avast) had snagged the malware the first day I had it (hell I didn't even know it did) awhile back and was sitting in the quarantine chest for days. I've since cleaned it all out and changed my passwords once the news broke of it the other day, but it just goes to show you... not everything is as it appears.

This is the little dickshit that did it: Steam Profile page (... nice avatar).

The dude is an actual criminal now with some of the users that were hit having taken legal action. Steam doesn't seem to have taken care of him, nor the users he stole money and items from (meh, figures).

And this is the link detailing how to handle and remove said mods & malware: Link.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I had heard about this and its likely to be a growing trend among these low lives.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
I had heard about this and its likely to be a growing trend among these low lives.
I agree.

Sad thing is that this isn't the first time its happened either. About 2 years ago this same mashugana happened to Skyrim over at the Nexus site where "modders" uploaded mods filled with malware-infested files and nabbed a few unlucky people. On the plus side, these events served as a wake-up call to these site-owners as the admin of the Nexus has since implemented a scanning system for files before they're uploaded. Never had an issue since then, and the GTA5-Mod site owner has also done the same.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I've always thought it would be pretty funny if anyone ever managed to hack something of mine, and gain access to my money. All that time and effort just to find out I'm £0.02 overdrawn. Jokes on you assh*le, I'm poor as f*ck ololol.