• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Halo 4 to come on two disks

Aions

Cant dance.
Reaction score
Halo_4_Limited_Edition_Content.jpeg

Recently EuroGamer had an interview with Frankie, EuroGamer states:
Unlike previous Halo games, Halo 4 runs natively in 720p resolution and comes on two discs. It also looks lovely – not quite as good as some of the screenshots released by Microsoft suggest it may, but at least as good as the best-looking games on the console.​
Frankie also talks about the lifetime of the Xbox 360.

“The console is seven years old but we keep finding new tricks and new abilities to wring performance out of it…And thirdly – we have more pixels on the screen; it’s native 720p – but one of the reasons it looks good is we’ve given our artists better tools to iterate with.​

Check out the full article here

And have a look at this why not?​

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Didnt Halo 3 come on 2 discs? One for the single player and one for the multiplayer.

Aions

Cant dance.
Reaction score
I remember being on the bungie forums when reach was newly announced and there where rumors that it would come on 2 disks. 1 for multiplayer 1 for campaign...

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Oh, you must be talking about the Halo 3 version that was shipped with Halo 3: ODST. That version had the vanilla Halo 3 disk with the latest updates, a disc with Halo 3: ODST and the wholly new (at the time) Firefight mode and finally the last disc contained only multiplayer with all the maps that were released at the time.

On the other hand, Halo 4 apparently will need a second disc and that just shows that sooner or later either game discs will be replaced by wholly digital downloads or HDVDs.

Must have been it, just remember it having Single Player and Multi-Player printed on both the discs. I would have checked but I think I sold it some time ago.

Daniel Ray

The Wizard From The East
Reaction score
Well, the game looks sweet, so they might be using two discs for those incredible textures in game.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
For the sake of the game industry as a whole, we need the Xbox 720 ASAP.

Games have finally reached the limits of the old workhorse that is the 360.

You don't want developers holding back just so that the 360 can manage to play the game.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
I'm fairly sure that Microsoft have thought of that. They wouldn't release the 720 without developer support. That'd cost them money, and Microsoft likes money. Like, really, really likes money.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I dont think its the 360 that has ran out of juice so to speak, games are still looking better than ever on it. Granted the age of the tech would show if compared to say a modern PC but its still throwing out some great visuals. I think its the DVD format that is the most restricting thing on the 360 and things having to be scaled back to fit on discs etc.

Daniel Ray

The Wizard From The East
Reaction score
I think its the DVD format that is the most restricting thing on the 360 and things having to be scaled back to fit on discs etc.

I agree with that. HD textures take up a LOT of space, which is why most textures get dumped down to fit on a dvd. With a Blu-Ray disc, you'd have almost no problem with that.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Ive only ever installed around 2 games to my HD on 360 and that was merely because it was reported to improve the load times and texture loading significantly. Other than that I never bother, would annoy me to be forced into it like with most PS3 games.

Daniel Ray

The Wizard From The East
Reaction score
Yes, you would have a big problem; read speed. Blu-ray disks might have a lot of space, but they are awfully slow compared to DVDs. Therefore, you would have to install all the games you own before even playing one properly. (Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, for example requires install at every "chapter" of the game to work correctly)

However you already have to install games on the Xbox 360 due to many disk reader issues - you are better off installing a game than risking finding your DVD destroyed within months after purchase and usually the retailer won't help you into obtaining a new copy or even a refund. (Microsoft stated it isn't the Xbox 360 to blame, of course - that is after when they used to receive broken games and replace them)

Yeah, but using two dvds would mean you have to install at least one of them, anyway. :p

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I'm glad your experience has been better, because I have seen discs of games like Skyrim being destroyed by the Xbox 360 and it personally happened with Grand Theft Auto IV. Suddenly when the installation feature was added all my newer games don't have any scratches like those pre-installation do. (Skyrim was destroyed, literally, by a Xbox 360 S 4GB and my GTA IV from a 2006 white Xbox 360. Meanwhile my current console is a Xbox 360 Elite)

Never had a console ruin any of my discs, though both my PS1 and PS2 had laser issues so they wouldnt read discs. I daren't touch my 360 when running though as ive heard the stories about knocking it when a game is running.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I assure you, the games that I have seen being destroyed over time or that suffered noticeable damage weren't inside Xbox 360's abused that way. I think it's more or less the production and year you bought it. Just like the good ol' RROD.

I had a launch console then a refurb which was also an early model and now have a new slim currently as step son uses my old one. Though I know this issue can happen to pretty much anything if used over a length of time. I mean Steves Yuris Revenge disc literally explode inside his PC. :lol:

Tyloric

Illogical Process of Elimination
Reaction score
I agree with that. HD textures take up a LOT of space, which is why most textures get dumped down to fit on a dvd. With a Blu-Ray disc, you'd have almost no problem with that.
That's actually not true. The system needs to have both the space on the disc, as well as the processing power to display high resolution textures.

One example is God of War 3. It actually ran at 1080p, but the textures were low resolution because it would have slowed the game down to a crawl.

Daniel Ray

The Wizard From The East
Reaction score
That's actually not true. The system needs to have both the space on the disc, as well as the processing power to display high resolution textures.

One example is God of War 3. It actually ran at 1080p, but the textures were low resolution because it would have slowed the game down to a crawl.

Which comes back to how we really need the next gen consoles now! But I'm still glad that the games are steadily getting better looking on consoles, even if at a diminished rate as compared to pc games.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
In either case, I'm sure VHS tapes are laughing their asses off at CDs.

Who's obsolete now?!

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
... for now.

VHS is biding it's time.

Daniel Ray

The Wizard From The East
Reaction score
Maybe in 30 years. When VHS will be entirely forgotten and CD will be old style for random small-data storage - media will be purchasable exclusively by codes or flash sticks.

30 years? The Blu-Ray will be forgotten then, cause we have super Cloud Storage!

Daniel Ray

The Wizard From The East
Reaction score
No, but it will be forgotten because it's slow.

Nah... I'm sure Sony and Microsoft would have discovered some better processors by then, which might increase the Blu-Ray's lifespan, until they notice that Nintendo's superior cloud storage system is just way faster and cheaper.

*Well, in reality, its Microsoft that has gone ahead with Cloud Storage first, but let's let Nintendo be shiny for a bit. :p*