• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kittenface

Help

i got lost chapters for PC yesterday and i cant install. it says "cant locate file" or somthing like that when the progress bar reaches the end. The official site says to upgrade windows installer, but that didnt help. Anyone know how to fix this?

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Re: Help

Did you recently install Windowblinds? If you did, then you must exclude the Fable.exe file in WB's "per application" menu.

OR

Simply add "Fable.exe" to the Per Application section of WindowBlinds and selected "Ignore this application and do not skin it" for the settings.

Hope this helps you out and welcome to the forums.

K

kittenface

unfortuanately no, any alternitives anyone ? (i lost the receipt for the game, so it is now my quest to get it working)

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

kittenface said:
unfortuanately no, any alternitives anyone ? (i lost the receipt for the game, so it is now my quest to get it working)

Could you maybe print screen the error and post a screenshot?

B

blu phoenix

i got fable tlc a while ago too. i forgot that i need a video chip so the scenery wasn't great. i'll have to get one.

K

kittenface

error.jpg

Another note, i did "xcopy" or somthing, a command listed on microsoft help to find if a disk is damaged, (i think). it found errors on disc 1 and 2 (i tried the command on other games, and found no errors) but, the discs only have a few light scratches (disk 2 has very few noticable marks)

B

blu phoenix

maybe you should update your computer. that might help. or maybe the discs are just "broken" or "fried" if you know what i mean. if you can't get it to work then i suggest maybe getting a new game.

V

Vegeta

Or maybe your computers just slow like mine l:p If your memory is low or to old...

Just upgrade your computer or change...buy more memory....:wacko:

K

kittenface

nah, my pc is good enough for it, prob just a crap disc. Strange, cos the scratches are only light... im wishin id bought it new now, not a cheap preowned one

B

blu phoenix

hmm.. yeah preowned ones can cause problems. i have a new tlc for pc but i don't play it. it's brand spanking new and everything. too bad i can't give you that.

K

kittenface

well, i know a place that fix discs, guess ill try that

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Here is what i found out:

Error 1603 is a generic machine-specific issue. One or more of the following fixes may resolve the error.

1. This error is known to occur on computers that do not have enough disk space for the installation. To increase your hard disk space, follow the instructions in How Do I Increase Hard Disk Space on My Computer?

2. The Temp directory is not clean. To clean the Temp directory, follow the instructions in Clean the Temp Directory.

3. A certain file on the machine is locked. To fix this:
1. Close all applications running in the background.
2. Reboot your computer.
3. Run the installation again.

4. If you are using Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, or NT, the Windows Installer Service may not be properly installed on the machine. Update the system with the latest Windows Installer Service by following the instructions in How Do I Install the Windows Installer Engine on My Computer?

5. On Windows NT, 2000, or XP, make sure you have administrative privileges. To confirm you have administrative privileges, follow the instructions in Acquire Administrative Privileges on Your Computer.

6. Use Microsoft’s Windows Installer Cleanup utility to remove traces of previous installations. This utility does not remove files installed by the installation, which may need to be removed manually. For more information, refer to Microsoft’s Knowledge Base article Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility.

Additional Information

Another reason your installation may not run is changes to your computer caused by recent updates. For example, updates to your operating system may cause installations created prior to the update to fail. You may want to uninstall any recent updates, install your application, and reinstall the update. WARNING: You should check with the software vendor who created the update to ensure no adverse affects will result from uninstalling the update.

Or see here: http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q111019

K

kittenface

Tried and failed. I also found an old post in another forum saying to remove the disk when the error was displayed, then put it back in, this failed (plus it said the error happend on disk 4 and mine has 3 disks :s

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

kittenface said:
Tried and failed. I also found an old post in another forum saying to remove the disk when the error was displayed, then put it back in, this failed (plus it said the error happend on disk 4 and mine has 3 disks :s

Not entirely sure then if you have tried everything from my last post :hmm:

K

kittenface

well, wed-fri im gonna take my disks to a repair shop (it worked before, on trashed games)

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

kittenface said:
well, wed-fri im gonna take my disks to a repair shop (it worked before, on trashed games)

Let us know how it goes and what they say, sorry we couldnt help more :(

K

kittenface

CRAP! there machine is broken! ill have to go ta a further away one:realmad:

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

kittenface said:
CRAP! there machine is broken! ill have to go ta a further away one:realmad:

That sucks! Not having much luck huh :(

Guess at least you got a place that has one near you, i dont know of a place anywhere near me that does it except maybe one but im sure they dont use a machine.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Arckon said:
Preowned discs suck and they do cause problems.

Lucky if they work full stop! I made the mistake of buying afew once :getlost: never again!

Status
Not open for further replies.