• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

How did you get into gaming?

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
No, never played the X series. I've heard its name thrown around though. Freelancer doesn't really seem that dated though. I guess when you do the math though, you realize it's over eight years old, but I've been playing on a server with quite an extensive mod that's easy to get the hang of, and it's got 100+ people online a fair amount of the time, so it's still quite active and fun.

Yeah, mods and multiplayer always add ****loads to a game's longevety.

But the X series is basically the TES of space simulators. Huge, exclusively singleplayer, expansive, realistic. but with terrible movement/combat unless you have a decent joystick or controller. But with the most recent X game (X3: Terran Conflict) they've completely revamped the movement and combat to make it almost exactly like Freelancers, which was excellent, and pretty much the only reason I ever played it. I say you go out and get that game and play the **** out of it right now.

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score
When I was little we had a Sega Genisis, and the 2 games I fondly remember watching was Quack shot and Bubsy. My dad played, and beat them both. Quackshot was fun to watch, there was a vampire boss you would fight, and everytime my dad got to that part, I'd wrap myself in a blanket and pretend I was the campire releasing bats to attack. After that it was a landslide. My brother borrowed game systems from his friends a lot, and I fondly remember playing Ocarina of Time for the first time and marveling at what an amazing game it was and how much fun I had riding Epona around, then came Crazy taxi, and many others that didn't make a hug impression on me. Either way. Sega got me started, and now I'm still going strong 20 years later. :)

edit: can't forget the Duck hunt I used to play on my aunts wall. <3 :D

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
My parents wouldn't let me get any games. My only ones were typing instructors on the computer. I'd play Space Jam, Chex Quest (cereal box game), and Sonic CD at my friends house.

Around 1995 (I was 4-5) I was able to play SNES at a house where I used to be dropped off to be looked after for the day but I was too young to really get into it since all they owned were RPGs. Super Mario RPG frustrated me and the other titles required too much reading. I got an original GameBoy for my birthday when they were brand new and I would play Link's Awakening, Kirby's Dream Land, and Super Mario Land 2 as often as I could.

Then 1996 rolled around and the N64 came out.

The woman who owned the house with the SNES had gotten one at launch and I could only watch her sons play it at first. The only game they had was Super Mario 64 and to this day I remember how fun it looked watching Mario going down the slide in the first ice level. My GameBoy just couldn't compare. I had to have one no matter the cost. I don't think I ever wanted anything half as bad in my entire life as I did a Nintendo 64 back then. I saved my 1$ per week allowance for over a year so I could buy it for myself. Meanwhile I would spend the entire day at the woman's house playing Mario 64 and being amazed at how fun it was. I'd get dropped off at 7am and I'd play nonstop until I was picked up by my mother in the late afternoon. By the time I could buy my own I was no stranger to Mario 64, GoldenEye, Star Fox, or MarioKart. After that there was no turning back. I met my goal, bought the console for myself, and I enjoyed every last minute of it.

I cherished that thing so much that when someone starts talking about how the PlayStation was better it just sounds like blasphemy.
How could it be better than the console that defined my childhood from ages 5 to 10? I saved up with a $1 per week allowance to buy that console and felt like it was completely worth it in the end. I don't think I can say that for any other system from the same generation or newer.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
But the X series is basically the TES of space simulators. Huge, exclusively singleplayer, expansive, realistic. but with terrible movement/combat unless you have a decent joystick or controller. But with the most recent X game (X3: Terran Conflict) they've completely revamped the movement and combat to make it almost exactly like Freelancers, which was excellent, and pretty much the only reason I ever played it. I say you go out and get that game and play the s*** out of it right now.

That sounds cool, it's just that I'd really want some multiplayer to go with it. Freelancer never would have been that great without multiplayer.

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score
My dad's Sega Game Gear

I used to play on it as a kid, eventually he bought me a sega megadrive, then when our house got robbed a local church reverend gave me his son's Sega. Few years later playstation 1. I was addicted from the moment I saw those pixels on the game gear.

All in all; my console list goes like this

Sega Game Gear
Sega MegaDrive
Game boy
PlayStation 1
Game boy Colour
PlayStation 2
PC
Xbox
Xbox 360
Nintendo Wii

Arld

WTB Deus Ex 3
Reaction score
I just got into gaming by buying a console out of interest. Nothing more than that really..

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score
That sounds cool, it's just that I'd really want some multiplayer to go with it. Freelancer never would have been that great without multiplayer.

That's fair. But it more than makes up for that with it's scope and size. It even has a fully real economy. AI ships actually buy and sell goods to factories, and those factories actually use the goods to make other goods, etc. You kill a ship, and you actually change the economy.

KaveX

Witcher
Premium
Reaction score
My mom and dad actually sat me down and taught me how to play Super Mario and Donkey Kong Country.. And then I got the 64 and that's when I really turned into a gamer.

Who else still hooks up the SNES and plays the classics?

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score
If by "hooks up the SNES and plays classics" you mean "downloads a SNES emulator on your phone plays roms of classics", then yes.

But it's weird for me, because I never owned a SNES, so I only really played those games recently.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Just remembered - first "console" I ever played on was a super old handheld thing with Mario and Luigi loading packages onto a conveyor belt to be put on a truck with the belts getting faster and faster... I know I've posted about this before, I just can't find the post.

EDIT: It was the Game and Watch and the game was called Mario Bros. Holy crap, I'm old...

The Annoying Hoverer

I'm the slightly stupid one!!!
Premium
Reaction score
I grew up with computers (back in the days when they cost thousands rather than a few hundred - I only found this out when I knocked one over and got battered for it) and played games on the Mac and PC but gaming proper was not something I got into until I met Steve and played Fable TLC for the first time back in 2006.
Stop getting your dates wrong you where born in the 30s remember!!!!LOL

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Stop getting your dates wrong you where born in the 30s remember!!!!LOL

More like the stone age, am I right? Hey Angel, was the wheel already invented when you were born or did it come later?

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Yes, mistress.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
I'll spend the rest of my days in happiness.
Nice.

Oh looky - I just changed Snowbell's password. What a shame...

BACK ON TOPIC: I got a question for you gaiz - what was the first genre you tried out and got hooked on? Did you find it hard to try out something that was in a different genre?

Azer249

Reaction score
Nice.

Oh looky - I just changed Snowbell's password. What a shame...

BACK ON TOPIC: I got a question for you gaiz - what was the first genre you tried out and got hooked on? Did you find it hard to try out something that was in a different genre?

RPG's i instantly fell in love, the ability to do what i wanted was the main drawing point. Oh Daggerfall, i love you for making me love you.