• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Indecisive Haiku

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
In trying
Real Haiku
Difficulty

Think I did that right.

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score
Nope.

5 syllables
7 syllables
5 syllables

It's actually mora, not syllable. Mora are kinda like short syllables, and I think the breakdown is:

I n t ry ing
A re a l Ha i ku
Di ffi cu l ty

Turns out I counted wrong, but you get the picture.

EDIT: Fixed it.

Tyloric

Illogical Process of Elimination
Reaction score
It's actually mora, not syllable. Mora are kinda like short syllables, and I think the breakdown is:

I n t ry ing
A re a l Ha i ku
Di ffi cu l ty

Turns out I counted wrong, but you get the picture.

EDIT: Fixed it.

Mora doesn't mean what you think it means.
"Mora (plural moras or morae) is a unit of sound used in phonology that determines syllable weight (which in turn determines stress or timing) in some languages."

Butchering words to fit the format is not a haiku. 5,7,5 syllables.

You don't want to fight me on this. :)

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score
Mora doesn't mean what you think it means.
"Mora (plural moras or morae) is a unit of sound used in phonology that determines syllable weight (which in turn determines stress or timing) in some languages."

Butchering words to fit the format is not a haiku. 5,7,5 syllables.

You don't want to fight me on this. :)

Challenge accepted!

Wikipedia said:
Haiku (俳句 haikai verse?) listen (help·info), plural haiku, is a form of Japanese poetry, consisting of 17 moras (or on), in three phrases of 5, 7, and 5 moras respectively.[1] Although haiku are often stated to have 17 syllables,[2] this is inaccurate as syllables and moras are not the same.

Also Wikipedia said:
Although the word "on" is often translated as "syllable", in fact one on is counted for a short syllable, an additional one for an elongated vowel, diphthong, or doubled consonant, and one more for an "n" at the end of a syllable. Thus, the word "haibun", though counted as two syllables in English, is counted as four on in Japanese (ha-i-bu-n)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku#Syllables_or_.22on.22_in_haiku

Same Wikipedia article Tyloric quoted said:
A syllable containing one mora is said to be monomoraic; one with two moras is called bimoraic; some with three, rarer, are trimoraic.

Traditional Haikus count mora, not syllables, Syllables can have more than one mora.