• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Let's talk about the 'Health' Feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjbyrum1

That Asshole Son-of-a-Bitch
Reaction score
Let's talk about the 'Health' Feature

As we all know, a 'Health Bar' will not be in Fable III.

Instead, we will find a regenerating health feature that shows up on the screen as we take damage. This has been used in quite a few games, such as Gears of War, Army of Two, Tom Clancy etc.

Basically, as you take damage, the screen (or sometimes and icon) will begin to fade into a red color (from the game I've played). The redder it gets, the more damaged you are. By resting, and then allowing it time to regenerate, your health will come back and the screen will fade back into normal.

What do you think of this? Should it be in Fable III? Why or why not?

----

I kind of like this... for several reasons. However understand this might even cancel out health potions, and food. But I also like it because it seems more realistic than a health bar. I know it really isn't realistic, but it is more than a health bar.

Dracelix

Paladin
Reaction score
Re: Let's talk about the 'Health' Feature

to be honest, if we regenerate health, that takes away the point of potions, unless the effects of death are quite different, instead of a few scars and loss of exp. to give us a better reason not to die.

it is a better way of expressing the battle system i think, since having a small hp bar in the corner, is less likely for you to be worried about it, but in games like gow, you are quite more concerned when in the red.

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score

It's not something I prefer. I might like it more if it didn't regenerate so quickly, it's too easy to camp behind an object until you're healed and then resume offense on the opposition, rinse and repeating this strategy throughout the entire game. Not much of a challenge.

If they have a difficulty setting where health regeneration is slowed down or turned off and one has to use health restoring items, then.. I might come to appreciate it.

Otherwise, I prefer the traditional Hit Points for health in an RPG.

EgoAlchemist

It's over 9000!!1!11
Reaction score

I see it like this; The hero have a special ability, he or she can heal himself/herself. This maybe happen when you get marry a non-hero women/men. You know, genetic stuff.

... or not.

Evan

Maestro
Reaction score

I don't really know how I feel about this. Because when I play Red Dead Redemption and my screen starts to become read I try to find cover or I gallop away on horseback, whic I coulldn't imagine doing in Red Dead. But I also don't like health bars, so I guess I'm neutral on this.

Lithary

Reaction score

1st... this is a game... so 100% realism is impossible (and unwanted)...
I prefer HP bar because it is more old school type that I'm more used to and is one of RPG base elements...
Eliminating HP bar is making one step away from RPG elements...
Plus...
Super regeneration is going to make already easy Fable even more easier... eater that or it will make it to hard...
Btw... I don't think that mage and warrior should have same HP...

James Butts

A Damn Fool
Reaction score

God it sounds tragic. Not just bad, but tragic. I love my health bar to fukin death. I grew up with it. This is one of the reasons I hate gears of war, and army of two. I mean don't get me wrong, gears of war is good, but not the health system. I'll miss the health bar.

tjbyrum1

That Asshole Son-of-a-Bitch
Reaction score

I don't think Fable III is going to even be an RPG.

And I liked RPG's. IT sounds like he's making a whole new game genre.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score

But Fable II didn't have a health bar....

:getlost:

halfgod

Reaction score

ok i liked gears of war and tom clancy but to be honest the health regeneration fits that genre, because you could play more and it intangles perfectly with the gameplay (like **** im almost dead give me back up, im almost dead let me take cover and rest etc).
But to do this to a 'RPG' (need quote here from PM) I dont like the idea (or whatever genre fable 3 is)

Because you cant do that sort of stuff in fable 3 and it doesnt have the same dynamic where it fits in. But to say that it completely destroys the health potion system(eventhough that was also my first thougt) , no.

This is because if you are in the 'red zone' then you could use a potion to get back to normal and then there is no problem now is there (except if you just dont like it).
Secondly Arseface i dont know if youre joking but if you're not fable 2 did have a healthbar, what it didnt have is a manabar (you had infinite mana)......

So like Evan52395 im neutral on this one (but for other reasons), it would be a mayor flaw if they didnt tune the health regeneration with the game.

If they did pull out the food and potion system they would demolish part of the game
(the fat-skinny part (which they can approve on because it wasnt 'complete'in the other games, addiction and that you could become fast with on bit) and the whole potion system which is one of the things that defines a RPG but yea if you want to make an whole other genre thats the thing to do, but you would lose more than half of youre fans, so that isnt a smart move)

BAM text of wall, enjoy reading it :)

Lithary

Reaction score

^ Like Peter cares if he's going to lose his fans because in the end everyone will buy F3 (except me) no mater what he does with the game :p

Dracelix

Paladin
Reaction score

well, it is definite that f3 will be massively better than f2, and with the amount of sales they will pick up from the release, i doubt players won't like it.

Mike@skorm

Oh, i'm from Albion
Reaction score

I feel that the new Health system is going to make combat more "realistic" but the lack of exp. is kinda lame. i personally enjoyed leveling up and what not.

but just because these features won't be in Fable III, doesn't mean i'm not going to Play Fable III on a triple 8 (8 hours of sleep, 8 hours of eating & working, and 8 hours of Gaming).

i also thought lists were fine in Fable TLC & Fable II, but i am fine with the changes

Status
Not open for further replies.