• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Magic: The Gathering

Relinquished Reality

Mutilation for Cats!
Reaction score
Its been a while since i posted anything, and the title pretty much explains it. I have been playing magic, pokemon and yu-gi-oh cards all my childhood and at around 14 i finally broke free from my obsession and indulgence in trading card games. I played in tournaments and was victorious a large majority of the time and every chance i could play with anyone i would take without a moments hesitation. Ive been about 2 or 3 years away from my card game obsession until recently my mate started playing magic the gathering. I bought a deck, then i bought more and more cards and now i find myself playing magic any-time that i can, and i still have strategies and im still good at it and i enjoy every moment of it if i win or lose. I think i get some kind of nerdy rush when i play this game, because i love this game more than any other card game i have ever played.

So now that im a slave to this game, does anyone else here play magic or have any names to call me for enjoying this card game more than any other game?

I fear my life and wallet are being consumed by this game.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
My only experience with this game is the Xbox Arcade game. Though I think my brother may have played the regular version before, I'm not sure.

Long story short, I didn't like it.

A name? Hmmm, how about Magic:The Gathering-liking-weirdo-person-thing.

Don't worry, like all obsessions, you'll get bored of it eventually. :)

Marcodian Elite

Reaction score
Never played MTG, I did play yu-gi-oh cards for ages, friends got me into it, it was a fun game and I enjoyed it - until I eventually got fed up with it lol, I stopped playing whereas one of my friends moved on to MTG and enjoyed it as far as I know.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Got the XBL game as well as an extensive collection of actual cards.

Black forever!

Drew2686

Nap time is before pants time.
Reaction score
I played MTG from 5th edition up through when the card format changed; they look stupid and childish now that they look like other CCG's styles...stupid Wizards...

Every once in a while I like to get cards with neat art, and play games with only my brother and friends. All of the players that show up at my LGS are too weird and hardcore for me. What's wrong with playing casual!

Also, when I was in Florida I stopped in at a shop and they were hosting a Pokemon tournament, which is all well and good; however, when you have the majority of players between 11-14, and some who are in the 50-60's, you know what the older crowd is there for.

*shudder*

Don't worry, the cardboard crack addiction will ebb in time.

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
I saw the title, clicked link, and had to respond with something. M:TG IS BEST GAME EVAHR.

Now to read what's going on...
So, I read it. Response: I play Magic:the Gathering anytime, man! Well, just often since it's one of my main hobbies. I mostly like to make somewhat original decks. At least not very generic. I've got an Eldrazi deck that reliess on Spawnsire of Ulamog to activate and bring about Emrakul, the Aeons Torn. >=D (with an increased chance of winning, by adding It That Betrays+All Is Dust. You're colored permanents are mine). Hm, now that I think about, I've been playing for a while now. Since Ravnica, actually.

Oh, and on a coincidental side-note: I traded my Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas away. Got a bunch of cool stuff. ^_^ Gotta love expensive cards that you don't need. :p
And otherworldy nerd-talk jargon. xD

Noctus

Metal Connoisseur
Reaction score
My brother is heavily into this and actually makes money from it.

Tyloric

Illogical Process of Elimination
Reaction score
I feel like I've missed out on a lot growing up. I avoided the nerds and geeks and sci-fi lovers and LARPers and D&Ders. They held a social stigma, they were beneath me, a lower class, substandard. But in retrospect I regret it because I think I'd really enjoy a couple of these hobbies, specifically Magic: The Gathering and D&D.

And now you are one of us.

Funny how that works.

Relinquished Reality

Mutilation for Cats!
Reaction score
The issue i am dealing with is every person i play with has been playing for years and have more rare cards than i have hair. they have built decks that can slaughter me, and i fear the only people i can actually play with are these people. I have like 3 mates my age who are not as deadly as these 30 year old guys that i can actually play against/ stand a chance. I usually play at a card shop, so thats why.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
Coincidentally had my first experience with MTG today. Went with a bunch of friends who were into it to buy some cards, and spent the rest of the day learning how to play it with my friends borrowed deck.

After a practice game (which we played open handed), in the next game (my second game ever, which we didn't play open handed) I built up an army and destroyed everyone on the same turn. I was pretty chuffed.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
I was thinking about picking it up (bc we could get a free starter deck at the local store), but decided not to since, you know, it eventually costs too much money.
Otherwise I think it's a cool game.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
Yeah, I actually watched my friends hand over $150 to buy cards. Not cool.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Aye it has gone a bit too far in the "pay to win" department. A good player with less expensive cards can still beat an idiot who has bought the best individual cards there are to boost his deck, but put two equally good players against each other with those odds there is no contest.

HeroOfCrapsalot

Dean Gullberry
Premium
Reaction score
I feel for you. I had a Yu Gi Oh phase about a year ago. Spent almost two hundred dollars on it in three months. Recommendation: Get a job or get out of it.

Relinquished Reality

Mutilation for Cats!
Reaction score
Aye it has gone a bit too far in the "pay to win" department. A good player with less expensive cards can still beat an idiot who has bought the best individual cards there are to boost his deck, but put two equally good players against each other with those odds there is no contest.
Very true, i got my mate to play and he bought a deck that costs more than all my cards combined, and i can still beat him. alas, the people i am stuck to play with have a combination of a decade of experience and cards more expensive than my house.

HobbeBrain

It's getting better, man!
Reaction score
I was only interested in the Doctor Who trading card fad, which disappointed me greatly as it died out after about 6 months. You can still buy them, it's just no one cared about them since I was 8, which was especially disappointing as I had the ultra-rare 9th to 10th Doctor regeneration card... :mad:

Relinquished Reality

Mutilation for Cats!
Reaction score
I was only interested in the Doctor Who trading card fad, which disappointed me greatly as it died out after about 6 months. You can still buy them, it's just no one cared about them since I was 8, which was especially disappointing as I had the ultra-rare 9th to 10th Doctor regeneration card... :mad:
haha! i remember that! i never got into those tho xD

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
It does cost some money, but I only spend what I've earned on summer vacation and my allowance. Oh, and I get stuff when it's my birthday :p . Anyway, I can still make reasonable decks with it. And once in a while you get a card that's so expensive that you get a whole bunch of cards by trading it (I don't need Zendikar's foil fetchlands). Also, when participating in events like (pre-)releases I win some more boosters sometimes. xD Always nice.

Also, there are indeed people with more experience than I have, in and around my local shop, but I can beat them with equal decks. Then again, I don't make slaughter-decks; just somewhat original ones, that I have fun building. Building a deck is a BIG part of the fun! Anyway, my playgroup has about the same skill as I have, so I don't have much of a problem. If would spend a little more effort into becoming better, I probably would be doing average on the FNM. =|

@ RelinquishedReality: Maybe you could get Magic Workstation, so we can play online, haha. It's cool that it's free, but I mainly used it to test stuff with. It''s rather dumb, actually, to use it to make kill-decks to pwn people you don't know.