• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

New Battlefield 3 Screenshots

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
DICE have released a handful of new in game screenshots of their highly anticipated shooter. They are said to be from Operation Métro multiplayer map and Thunder Run mission. Amazon reported yesterday that preorders for Battlefield 3 were up 2300% on Battlefield 2.

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
.. Wait what, the last two are in-game?

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
.. Wait what, the last two are in-game?

Yeah apparently so, im assuming that the last screen is a guy handing you a weapon or something and the one above it is an in game shot from a previous video.

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Yeah apparently so, im assuming that the last screen is a guy handing you a weapon or something and the one above it is an in game shot from a previous video.

Mind f'n blown. I wouldn't have thought such visuals would have been possible in this console generation, and to think that Mirror's Edge 2 is rumored to be using this new version of the Frostbite Engine just gets me giddy.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Mind f'n blown. I wouldn't have thought such visuals would have been possible in this console generation, and to think that Mirror's Edge 2 is rumored to be using this new version of the Frostbite Engine just gets me giddy.

They are apparently preparing some footage of the jets for release soon as no proper in game footage of them in action etc have been shown, just them quickly flying overhead.

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
They are apparently preparing some footage of the jets for release soon as no proper in game footage of them in action etc have been shown, just them quickly flying overhead.

Excellent, will definitely be looking forward to that.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
MW3 is going to cry when this comes out - and so will all the fanboys. As well they should because at least DICE take their time to produce something of superior quality as opposed to churning out slight variations on the previous title every year.

But hey, that's what happens when people are willing to part with their cash like it's burning a hole in their pockets - no discernment these days, none whatsoever.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
MW3 is going to cry when this comes out - and so will all the fanboys. As well they should because at least DICE take their time to produce something of superior quality as opposed to churning out slight variations on the previous title every year.

But hey, that's what happens when people are willing to part with their cash like it's burning a hole in their pockets - no discernment these days, none whatsoever.

Just a shame that its being said that MW3 has already beat Black Ops preorder record and is set to break all sales records. DICE really deserve the records and praise as like you said, at least they take their time to develop vastly improved games each time. They also continue to support thier games long after release and have some great DLC packages and didnt charge for map packs.

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
MW3 will most likely be at the top for pre-sales and post-launch stats for a while because people are morons. But I reckon it will be money wasted compared to what DICE are going to bring to the table - stupid thing is, MW fans will bitch and moan that DLC is costing too much and that the game is too short or too buggy or full of campers or whatever else, but they will still spend the money and further line the pockets of execs who don't give two craps about the quality of their products so long as their Porsche's are kept shiny by the profits.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
MW3 will most likely be at the top for pre-sales and post-launch stats for a while because people are morons. But I reckon it will be money wasted compared to what DICE are going to bring to the table - stupid thing is, MW fans will bitch and moan that DLC is costing too much and that the game is too short or too buggy or full of campers or whatever else, but they will still spend the money and further line the pockets of execs who don't give two craps about the quality of their products so long as their Porsche's are kept shiny by the profits.

Been saying the same thing for a while and while i had alot of respect for Infinity Ward and the old CoD games i dont like what activision did to them and how they have milked the series dry, charge extortionate prices for map packs and now even a subscription service to track stats that Halo & Battlefield series offer for free.

Reaction score
By this stage COD is dead on it's feet, completely stagnated albeit still hobbling along like a dying animal. COD4 was excellent, but MW2 signaled the beginning of the end really.

I read an article about the two franchises and it said that EA are going to release a medal of honor game about a year after every Battlefield, with Activision releasing a new COD game every year this gives EA an opportunity to release something new to compete with COD every time without it being the same game every time. As well as being a good market tactic it also ensures that each EA game has more time to put effort into their games which benefits the customer with a more high quality game. If this works it will pretty much knock Activision off its throne, they won't be able to relax given the competition.

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
It's all about the money, and those blind idiot sheep are going to keep the COD franchise running strong and continue supplying Mr. Kotick with toilet paper made of Benjamins. Like Angel said, they keep complaining about the aspects of the game yet they continue to purchase it every year along with its overpriced DLC. They have no good enough excuse to continue purchasing something they feel the need to bitch over, when there are other enjoyable alternatives sitting on shelves.

But I don't mind, it's like I said in the other thread; let the sheep keep buying their CODs and keep them away from Battlefield so folks can for once have an enjoyable online experience.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
By this stage COD is dead on it's feet, completely stagnated albeit still hobbling along like a dying animal. COD4 was excellent, but MW2 signaled the beginning of the end really.

Not doing bad with sales for a hobbling franchise that still seems to surpass its own record sales every year. Has 321% more preorders on Amazon than the record breaking Black Ops did.

Modern Warfare 3 interest 'unlike anything in Activision's history

I just dont know how it sells so well when since CoD 4 it has been the same product slightly tweaked year after year and been known to be full of online exploits and cheaters. As well as numerous patches being needed to nerf weapons due to balancing issues. I played early CoD games online for years then CoD 4 for hundreds of hours then MW2 for around 80 hours then i gave up on Black Ops after 20mins as it was just the same thing copy and pasted again.

Though if you look at all the previews nearly every publications say that BF3 will be the superior game in every department and it just feels a better game to play. I found that after playing Battlefield for a set time i couldnt go back and play CoD with its run and gun arcade style with lack of destruction.

But I don't mind, it's like I said in the other thread; let the sheep keep buying their CODs and keep them away from Battlefield so folks can for once have an enjoyable online experience.

Yeah the last thing we need is 10 year olds shouting and cursing down the mics and running around with no thought to team work. If you try and be a lone wolf and win a game totally alone on Battlefield you will die A LOT.

Reaction score
Not doing bad with sales for a hobbling franchise that still seems to surpass its own record sales every year. Has 321% more preorders on Amazon than the record breaking Black Ops did.

It's like modern pop music, no soul or innovation but it sells well regardless. In the sense of selling well, it's alive and kicking like a 2 month old puppy but in terms actually being a fresh, enjoyable experience it's beyond dead and rotten, way past it's sell by date if you ask me.

That's the problem with COD, because people continue to buy the game in increasing numbers every time the developers see no reason to change anything fundamentally. They figure as long as they get their sales it doesn't matter, sure it's a good business strategy (the 321% preorder rate proves this) and gives them the excuse to be lazy f*cks when it comes to the imagination/innovation department. However the fact that the game will probably bring nothing new to the table shows besides a few touches here and there show just how mortally wounded their creativity is.

They can only carry churning out the same game so many times, modern warfare 3 is basically just modern warfare 2.5., no better than one of their cash cow map packs really.

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
If MW3 is any good at any stage I'll put my money on Sledgehammer being the reason why...you can't lose an inordinate number of long-serving staff members from a studio and expect the quality of whoever has been left over to remain the same or even better. I still maintain they partnered because they HAD to not because they WANTED to.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
It's like modern pop music, no soul or innovation but it sells well regardless. In the sense of selling well, it's alive and kicking like a 2 month old puppy but in terms actually being a fresh, enjoyable experience it's beyond dead and rotten, way past it's sell by date if you ask me.

That's the problem with COD, because people continue to buy the game in increasing numbers every time the developers see no reason to change anything fundamentally. They figure as long as they get their sales it doesn't matter, sure it's a good business strategy (the 321% preorder rate proves this) and gives them the excuse to be lazy f*cks when it comes to the imagination/innovation department. However the fact that the game will probably bring nothing new to the table shows besides a few touches here and there show just how mortally wounded their creativity is.

They can only carry churning out the same game so many times, modern warfare 3 is basically just modern warfare 2.5., no better than one of their cash cow map packs really.

A shame that most people who moan about it still buy it anyway lining Activisions pockets. I agree with everything there too, this is the 3rd recycled game and looks like its the 3rd time it will break records. Activision need a wake up call and i hope Dice give it to them and end up a real contender to them.

If MW3 is any good at any stage I'll put my money on Sledgehammer being the reason why...you can't lose an inordinate number of long-serving staff members from a studio and expect the quality of whoever has been left over to remain the same or even better. I still maintain they partnered because they HAD to not because they WANTED to.

Its madness how many different development teams are involved in MW3. How are they going to go about testing and such when the game is pretty much being split into parts all being developed by a different team. Quality control would be a nightmare.

Sean

Fallen
Premium
Reaction score
I can't lie - Modern Warfare 3 will most likely be the best-selling game this year, HOWEVER, Battlefield 3 will probably be the best in general. Those screen shots are just amazing, I remember seeing the first footage of Battlefield 3 pre-E3, when they showed some of the Marines fighting in the town, it was just... absolutely amazing... whereas Modern Warfare 3 looks like it has the same graphics as Modern Warfare 2. Sigh.

Reaction score
I bet Battlefield 3 will score higher in the reviews anyway, I've seen more than my fair share of gaming magazines complain about COD's stagnation and how they hope that a new FPS will come along and bring some innovation to the table, I think DICE is going to give them just what they're looking for this year with Battlefield 3.

The only way for Activision's sales numbers to take a hit though is for people to stop buying COD, that will force them to fall back and revise things, to change and improve their product. Only problem is the target audience is although officially adults, let's face it, 12 year old kids. They're going to buy it regardless of what reviewers say just because it's Call of duty, and because of the high sales, Activision will see no reason to change their product.

Personally I'm going to try and abstain from buying MW3 this time, so not to make myself a hypocrite and also to try and back the claim that reduced sales will force Activision to rethink the design of it's leading yet highly flawed and boring product (not that my individual withdrawal will make much of a difference, but hey! it has to start with someone.)

Maybe if a day comes when people do put their foots down and say "No! We won't buy your rehashed bore of a game anymore Sir! It will force the boys 'n girls at Activision to reassess the fundamentals of Call of duty and actually implement some real forward marching change in their next product. Heck, maybe they'll even make a Call of Duty set in the future with rail guns and plasma rifles complete with customization, or possibly one set in the Korean war or WW1. Now those games I wouldn't mind seeing at all.

EDIT: New idea, if they really put their minds to it they could even make one set in the 1920's prohibition era, but instead of playing as soldiers you play as cops/gangsters.

Now hear me out before dismissing it, you'd still have all the fast paced action and weapons: Browning automatic rifles, Thompson submachine guns, etc they were all used back then. The campaign could have missions for both mobsters and cops, just as you play as different armies in the previous Call of duty games. Also it would make for some memorable single player characters.

The multiplayer maps would be diverse too, you could have warehouse's, Chicago streets, bars and clubs, farmsteads, docks etc. You could even have the road where Bonnie and Clyde where ambushed and killed complete with their wrecked car in the middle of the map. Perks could have a place too, just like in the current COD games. Think of the game modes too, instead of capture the flag how about capture the hooch crates?

Also customization could still have a place, different unlockable gangster/cop outfits, instead of red tiger camo for your weapons you could unlock nickle/silver/bronze plating for them like some of them actually had back in the day. Dynamite and petrol bombs in place of grenades, and surplus m1903 sniper rifles. The possibilities and endless. They could still name it Call of duty to on account of it being the duty of the cops to enforce the prohibition.

Yeah I probably went too far with this idea, but it demonstrates that there is still room for Activision to innovate and bring a new experience. I'm sure if they did it right, it could be a superb game.

And don't even get me started on an American Civil war call of duty... :shifty: