• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Reaver - Discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quentin Locke

Hero of Skill
Reaction score
Just out of interest *spoilers ahead* when you manage to get to drift wood, there is the note saying something about not being welcome as this is Reaver's land. But... where is he?

His mansion is nearby in Millfields (the note you speak of is still in the millfields zone, and is the explanation as to why the gypsy camp where your hero parent grew up is no longer there).

SebClem

Reaction score
ah - I thought he'd fled his mansion or something!

Noelle Alexandra

Reaction score
I'm simply astounded that a person could conceivably reside in so amoral and decadent realms of the mind for decades upon decades...upon decades. It is an alien concept, as those who live in such a puerile and material sphere of consciousness seem to die young and 'burn out' as the expression goes, at least by normal standards. And of course there is the natural aging of the psyche to consider. It is almost as if Reaver is this complete anomaly that has never progressed into a fully-developed human being, never entirely reaching that stage Maslow's Hierarchy describes as, 'self-actualisation'. Which, personally, I find incredibly interesting as I have been an 'old man' for most of the years of my fairly young life. It is somewhat captivating to consider a character that is the opposite, youthful like myself, and yet several centuries older.

Theresa embodies what I would expect one who has endured for over half a millenia to express themselves as. She is patient and thoughtful, extremely knowledgeable and careful, not to mention she chooses her battles and her words. Will and navel-gazing aside, she is what I should think a 600+ year person to be like. Though, it must be said that there seems to be a dearth of centuries-old people to compare this assessment to in the real world *grins*. That said, it is readily seen that as we age - we learn and grow. The deterioration of the body, undoubtedly, has an effect on how we perceive the world and how we interact with it, which is something Reaver has not needed to really consider in any great detail...yet. So, the question on my mind is whether one could really, if the constraints of time held little import to them other than a yearly holiday to renew membership, live in such a lascivious manner for so long a time without reaching a stage where wisdom and time would render it...well, tiresome, colour-less, and trivial in comparison to life's greater mysteries.

Reaver is, what, 350 years old or thereabouts? I believe it was said in Fable II that the deal with the Shadow Court was 200 or 250 years prior. Fable III is 50-60 years later. Assuming Reaver was no older than thirty at the time of the Deal, as he was a young man, I should think he is between 280 and 340 years old, approximately.

As for being evil. Well, many have said more eloquently than I can that he is. I tend to agree for the greater part. His charisma and complete charm overshadow the dark, and completely desolate part of him where humanity should be - making him likeable in an odd way, and yet thoroughly wretched. I certainly wish to see him receive his comeuppance, though; I don't want to be the one to kill him, as Hannibal Lecter said, 'the world's more interesting with you in it'. Some evils need to exist, just as great forces of good need to be there to balance them.

That's a very intelligent way of looking at it...it is interesting to wonder how he hasn't gotten burnt out from living a lifestyle like that for so long. I guess for him, instead of time making it a tiresome way of life, it's become routine.

Status
Not open for further replies.