• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Road to Rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Mosqueton

Party Animal
Reaction score
Road to Rule

So, as most of you SHOULD know, the Road to rule is a metaphorical Level Up system; It consists of a large road (duh) with many gates (representing levels) and treasure chests (abilities) leading up all the way to Logan's Castle.

Contrary to popular belief (and even P. Molyneux himself!) Followers are not spent here, Guild Seals are. These little Seals are a a new metaphorical way of earning EXP, as they help unlock said gates and chests.

Anyhow, post your opinions in this thread.

GrimWhim

Reaction score
Re: Road to Rule

I'm really enjoying what PM is trying to do with Fable III (i.e. setting it apart from your stereotypical RPG) but it seems he's going a bit too far in this case. Now, I don't know everything about the "Road to Rule" but from what I've read it seems like rather than finding another way to help us enjoy the game, he's found a way to limit us.

God bless the little guy but he's just trying too hard.

El Mosqueton

Party Animal
Reaction score

GrimWhim;420553 said:
I'm really enjoying what PM is trying to do with Fable III (i.e. setting it apart from your stereotypical RPG) but it seems he's going a bit too far in this case. Now, I don't know everything about the "Road to Rule" but from what I've read it seems like rather than finding another way to help us enjoy the game, he's found a way to limit us.

God bless the little guy but he's just trying too hard.

It's not a way to limit you, if it's doing anything it's helping you enjoy more the game.
It is just a pinch more different than the other Fable's level up screens, there you "bought" abilities, here you discover them.

GrimWhim

Reaction score

Gimme a link to some information about the Road to Rule. Because I either read something wrong or someone lied to me.

:(

tjbyrum1

That Asshole Son-of-a-Bitch
Reaction score

I think it is a.... 'ploy' to make the game longer.

Nearly everyone who plays Fable II (or any other game really) end up beating it very quickly and saying "Huh... that was it? Where is the next part?"

So Molyneux set up this ploy to make us say "Hey, I want to unlock all the chests, so I better beat all these side quests, and do all this other stuff!" In this fashion, it will take LONGER to beat the game, not to mention you WILL no doubt reuse EVERY feature in the game, all because you want those chests.

Now, those people who play the game RIGHT and do everything they SHOULD, are also the ones who write reviews, visit these forums, etc etc... fansite crap you know. Well, they're going to have positive feelings about the length of this game, and he features.

You can sure as Hell bet I will take my time, and do everything I need to do. I want the whole game, I want Fable III, not Fable 2.5.

So basically, Molyneux wants to ensure we use every feature of the game, and wants to ensure the game is longer.

People who RUSH through (you know, X,X, Y, B, turn in Main Quest Repeat) will NOT get the full game, will NOT use the features etc. These people are the ones who... 'do not matter'. They won't bother getting on the PC and writing a bad review about 'how short' or 'gimmicky' the game is. They won't get on these forums ranting about it.

No, the Grinders who take their time and get every little piece out of it are the ones who do reviews, and who are on these forums.

~TeeJay.

GrimWhim

Reaction score

Okay, so, I watched the video and what I got from it was... we basically have to choose what aspects of the game we want unlocked while simultaneously getting screwed out of others. That's a terrible addition to Fable III and it's actually counterproductive to his desire to want a game free of limits and filled with choices. I don't care if I have to spend followers or experience, I don't want to have to BUY parts of the game IN the game.

That's both ridiculous and tedious and it certainly doesn't help that I have to basically cut out most of the game in favor of other parts of the game. I realize what PM is trying to do but he's doing it in a way that will most likely cause me to end up returning the game immediately.

I was already a little peeved with the whole Will aging you thing and them keeping the charging system from Fable II but now this? Eh... I'm seriously losing faith in both the Fable series and Lionhead/Peter Molyneux.

El Mosqueton

Party Animal
Reaction score

GrimWhim;420584 said:
Okay, so, I watched the video and what I got from it was... we basically have to choose what aspects of the game we want unlocked while simultaneously getting screwed out of others. That's a terrible addition to Fable III and it's actually counterproductive to his desire to want a game free of limits and filled with choices. I don't care if I have to spend followers or experience, I don't want to have to BUY parts of the game IN the game.

That's both ridiculous and tedious and it certainly doesn't help that I have to basically cut out most of the game in favor of other parts of the game. I realize what PM is trying to do but he's doing it in a way that will most likely cause me to end up returning the game immediately.

I was already a little peeved with the whole Will aging you thing and them keeping the charging system from Fable II but now this? Eh... I'm seriously losing faith in both the Fable series and Lionhead/Peter Molyneux.

1. Isn't that what we always did with Skill, Will and Strength in all Fables? I mean, if marrying, having kids and buying houses give you followers (which they do) I understand why Lionhead wants to make them an unlockable, or do you want to have 1,793,718 followers before you even reach half of the game?

2. Choices are what define Fable.

3. Same as 1.

4. We don't have ANYTHING cut out, everything is unlockable with the right number of Guild Seals

GrimWhim

Reaction score

The Tyrant Lord;420588 said:
1. Isn't that what we always did with Skill, Will and Strength in all Fables? I mean, if marrying, having kids and buying houses give you followers (which they do) I understand why Lionhead wants to make them an unlockable, or do you want to have 1,793,718 followers before you even reach half of the game?

2. Choices are what define Fable.

3. Same as 1.

4. We don't have ANYTHING cut out, everything is unlockable with the right number of Guild Seals

1. No? If I wanted to level up Will, Skill and Strength I could. It would take a little longer than if I focused on one but they were all very easy to level. I always focused on Will but that was my choice in doing so. I don't expect them to give us everything outright but this is a little silly.

2. Yes but lately they've been forcing us to make certain choices or lose out.

3. Same as 1.

4. That's not what I heard and there may have been a chance I heard wrong but I'm quite certain he mentioned there's only a certain amount of chests you can unlock (or something along those lines).

El Mosqueton

Party Animal
Reaction score

GrimWhim;420590 said:
1. No? If I wanted to level up Will, Skill and Strength I could. It would take a little longer than if I focused on one but they were all very easy to level. I always focused on Will but that was my choice in doing so. I don't expect them to give us everything outright but this is a little silly.

2. Yes but lately they've been forcing us to make certain choices or lose out.

3. Same as 1.

4. That's not what I heard and there may have been a chance I heard wrong but I'm quite certain he mentioned there's only a certain amount of chests you can unlock (or something along those lines).

1. Very easy? Do you really want that? Here you can focus in Will too, you just leave other chests for later.

2. Lose out? Such as?

3. Let's just omit this one.

Gradius1;419693 said:
Ok, I think I get it.

As long as you have enough seals, you can open any chest you can access...and you can return to the Road To Rule at any time to go back and open more as you gain the seals required. It just means you might have to go do more quests, fights, interactions to get enough seals.
What Peter meant was that if you race through the story, you will probably only have enough seals to open 1 big chest per section, and even then he is just giving that as an example.
Don't panic.
As posted by Gradius, of the Dev Team

GrimWhim

Reaction score

The Tyrant Lord;420592 said:
1. Very easy? Do you really want that? Here you can focus in Will too, you just leave other chests for later.

2. Lose out? Such as?

3. Let's just omit this one.

As posted by Gradius, of the Dev Team

1. I don't even get where you're going with that. What I was trying to get at was that they're making it so that I can't even do the most basic of things in the game until I earn enough followers/guild seals/whatevers. I'm surprised they don't make a website where you do the same thing but instead of gaining any in-game items, you get the right to purchase the game.

2. We'll get back to this one later.

3. N/A

4. If you read it carefully, you'll realize that even this guy isn't sure of how it all works and he's on the developers team!

Erghantar

Cheeky *******
Reaction score

GrimWhim;420605 said:
4. If you read it carefully, you'll realize that even this guy isn't sure of how it all works and he's on the developers team!
It's not like people can act like they don't know stuff. For example I could be him and if I wanted to people try to guess how stuff would happen, I'd do the exact same thing - sound unsure. That or he's just from a whole different section of the dev team, like motion cap, audio and the such instead of story, coding, etc.

El Mosqueton

Party Animal
Reaction score

GrimWhim;420605 said:
1. I don't even get where you're going with that. What I was trying to get at was that they're making it so that I can't even do the most basic of things in the game until I earn enough followers/guild seals/whatevers. I'm surprised they don't make a website where you do the same thing but instead of gaining any in-game items, you get the right to purchase the game.

2. We'll get back to this one later.

3. N/A

1. Basic? Do you really consider those tiny things to be what defines your game? I mean, You get expertise on Skill, Will and strength by using your weapon, not in the RtR, if that's what you're implying

4. It's pretty solid, more combat, side missions, interactions with NPCs = A Hero with more abilities.

A rushed playthrough of the story= crappy little unheroic Hero

GrimWhim

Reaction score

The Tyrant Lord;420610 said:
1. Basic? Do you really consider those tiny things to be what defines your game? I mean, You get expertise on Skill, Will and strength by using your weapon, not in the RtR, if that's what you're implying

4. It's pretty solid, more combat, side missions, interactions with NPCs = A Hero with more abilities.

A rushed playthrough of the story= crappy little unheroic Hero

1. I consider having sex, buying houses, holding hands and all the rest of that what makes up the game. What they're doing is telling me I can't access 99% of the game until I do enough repetitive actions to gain the necessary followers/seals to unlock more.

4. What do you think the odds are of each quest, interaction, etc. being unique? It's going to force the game into monotony to unlock more of the game which we won't even know will be any good.

Erghantar;420609 said:
It's not like people can act like they don't know stuff. For example I could be him and if I wanted to people try to guess how stuff would happen, I'd do the exact same thing - sound unsure. That or he's just from a whole different section of the dev team, like motion cap, audio and the such instead of story, coding, etc.

I'm sorry but I don't feel more comfortable in a companies ability to produce a high quality game when people on the development team are unsure of what's in the game. If you developed a product and needed investors to back you up, how many of them do you think will even bother to consider it if you, the inventor, are unsure of how your product works?

El Mosqueton

Party Animal
Reaction score

GrimWhim;420612 said:
1. I consider having sex, buying houses, holding hands and all the rest of that what makes up the game. What they're doing is telling me I can't access 99% of the game until I do enough repetitive actions to gain the necessary followers/seals to unlock more.

4. What do you think the odds are of each quest, interaction, etc. being unique? It's going to force the game into monotony to unlock more of the game which we won't even know will be any good.

1. Touch is there always, it's not on a chest. They are telling you you can't access 30% of the game if you don't do the other 70%, which enables to actually EARN the things you want, instead of playing through the Crucible 8 times and having you UBER GOD-LIKE CHARACTER when you haven't reached half of the game.

4. Then why do you even bother playing? Why can't you just do the tutorial and then the credits roll? Why can't we fight Jack of Blades right when he burnt Oakvale? Why can't we just kill Lucien the moment we enter his castle?

GrimWhim

Reaction score

The Tyrant Lord;420616 said:
1. Touch is there always, it's not on a chest. They are telling you you can't access 30% of the game if you don't do the other 70%, which enables to actually EARN the things you want, instead of playing through the Crucible 8 times and having you UBER GOD-LIKE CHARACTER when you haven't reached half of the game.

4. Then why do you even bother playing? Why can't you just do the tutorial and then the credits roll? Why can't we fight Jack of Blades right when he burnt Oakvale? Why can't we just kill Lucien the moment we enter his castle?

1. Go back and listen to that video. PM clearly states that one of the touch features needs to be unlocked through the chests. I played through the Crucible twice and that's only because they didn't award me with The Chopper the first time I got all perfect rounds. My character was never god-like even though he is a hero and it's not surprising that he would be a complete bad ass.

4. I think there's a difference between having repetitive quests and interactions and just flat out cutting out most of the content and skipping to the end.

El Mosqueton

Party Animal
Reaction score

GrimWhim;420620 said:
1. Go back and listen to that video. PM clearly states that one of the touch features needs to be unlocked through the chests. I played through the Crucible twice and that's only because they didn't award me with The Chopper the first time I got all perfect rounds. My character was never god-like even though he is a hero and it's not surprising that he would be a complete bad ass.

4. I think there's a difference between having repetitive quests and interactions and just flat out cutting out most of the content and skipping to the end.

1. Don't get this wrong, I love him (non-gay way) but he does not know ANYTHING about Fable, he keeps giving bad information.
Lionhead is not P. Molyneux,and the official Community guy of Lionhead is Gradius, if he says it's in the game, it is, if he say's it isn't, it's not there. Believe me, I've been there since 2007. And he said Touch is there from the beginning. The Crucible was just an example, I was merely referring how easy it was to get everything in FII.

2. But that's what you're saying, you want them to remove a feature so you have to do less things, now why would you do that? I mean, don't want to do the side quests? Don't do 'em! just hack and slash your way to more Guild Seals. Did you even do the side-quests in FII?

GrimWhim

Reaction score

The Tyrant Lord;420623 said:
1. Don't get this wrong, I love him (non-gay way) but he does not know ANYTHING about Fable, he keeps giving bad information.
Lionhead is not P. Molyneux,and the official Community guy of Lionhead is Gradius, if he says it's in the game, it is, if he say's it isn't, it's not there. Believe me, I've been there since 2007. And he said Touch is there from the beginning. The Crucible was just an example, I was merely referring how easy it was to get everything in FII.

2. But that's what you're saying, you want them to remove a feature so you have to do less things, now why would you do that? I mean, don't want to do the side quests? Don't do 'em! just hack and slash your way to more Guild Seals. Did you even do the side-quests in FII?

1. Then they might want to fire Peter Molyneux because he's just a liability. Try playing a pure Will character. That means no points in Strength or Skill AT ALL. That will easily make the game difficult for you as long as you don't use the experience glitch.

2. I didn't say I wanted them to remove anything. I just said I don't want to have to deal with the monotony of quests and interactions to unlock other aspects of the game, aspects that should already be there. I do all the quests in every game I play because I enjoy them but they're incredibly repetitive but optional where as in Fable III, they won't be. I don't do hack and slash and if spell gauntlets are only gained from chests well... that's going to suck.

El Mosqueton

Party Animal
Reaction score

GrimWhim;420624 said:
1. Then they might want to fire Peter Molyneux because he's just a liability. Try playing a pure Will character. That means no points in Strength or Skill AT ALL. That will easily make the game difficult for you as long as you don't use the experience glitch.

2. I didn't say I wanted them to remove anything. I just said I don't want to have to deal with the monotony of quests and interactions to unlock other aspects of the game, aspects that should already be there. I do all the quests in every game I play because I enjoy them but they're incredibly repetitive but optional where as in Fable III, they won't be. I don't do hack and slash and if spell gauntlets are only gained from chests well... that's going to suck.
1. Not the point, playing a Will character is a choice, whereas overall difficulty should be a requirement.

2. BUT THEY ARE THERE!!! You just have to do some more things, I mean, in other threads you say you want the game to be complete (as in, no exclusive quests, etc.) but here, you're telling me you don't want the new feature because some quests might be repetitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.