• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Scabbards/drawing weapons

Status
Not open for further replies.

POOP

Whatever floats your goat
Reaction score
Scabbards/drawing weapons

Good morning everybody

I was wondering if anyone had seen if weapons can be drawn from a scabbard/one's belt? I know that Sir Walter (or whatever his name is, the King Theoden guy) has his sword on his belt, so I figured maybe the player can do it as well.

It always annoyed me that everybody had their sword/axe/hammer on their back. It looks weird and I don't think anybody really did that in real life. I've only seen it once in Braveheart.

Bluedrake

Reaction score
Re: Scabbards/drawing weapons

POOP;408936 said:
Good morning everybody

I was wondering if anyone had seen if weapons can be drawn from a scabbard/one's belt? I know that Sir Walter (or whatever his name is, the King Theoden guy) has his sword on his belt, so I figured maybe the player can do it as well.

It always annoyed me that everybody had their sword/axe/hammer on their back. It looks weird and I don't think anybody really did that in real life. I've only seen it once in Braveheart.

Nope, it's still on the hero's back.

Evil Pakman

Reaction score

POOP;408936 said:
Good morning everybody

OH REALLY? then it's in braveheart, not Fable 3:heart:

Vicious Dice

Smashing Pumpkins
Reaction score

I've always liked the weapon straped on the back, never did care much for it on your side...

Benjamin510

God of rose returness.
Reaction score

The back just makes me feel like we can can hold a giant heavy hammer on our backs in real life. :/

Evan

Maestro
Reaction score

It's not morning for me...

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score

The swords and weapons (including rifles) will still be on the back of the hero. I should add that myself I always liked long-swords on my back. However I dislike Bows,Crossbows and on the back, I always want to have a clean character.

Vicious Dice

Smashing Pumpkins
Reaction score

DarkONI;409050 said:
The swords and weapons (including rifles) will still be on the back of the hero. I should add that myself I always liked long-swords on my back. However I dislike Bows,Crossbows and on the back, I always want to have a clean character.

Agreed.

nevaeh.aaric

Reaction score

Drawing a weapon is just pulling it out of its scabbard, sheath, unhooking it, etc. In most cases, you would be familiar enough with where it is on your body to do this by touch, without looking down. Now, putting a weapon away (as opposed to just dropping it) is a different story. To fit a dagger into a sheath, a sword into a scabbard, etc. requires lining up the blade with the slot in the scabbard. This requires a pretty precise set of movements in most cases and is extremely difficult to do quickly without looking down or breaking your concentration, hence it draws an AoO.

Ryu_the_fox

Reaction score

Eh, it might be just for looks but, I think a swrd on your side would look better. The problem with sheathes and scabbards are that the weapons morph. The weapons change shape so they'll eventually not fit their sheath.

Benjamin510

God of rose returness.
Reaction score

Ryu_the_fox;409158 said:
Eh, it might be just for looks but, I think a swrd on your side would look better. The problem with sheathes and scabbards are that the weapons morph. The weapons change shape so they'll eventually not fit their sheath.

Sheath morphing? Ey, Ey?

OpenWorldExplorer

Reaction score

Historically, swords were carried at the hip (left hip if right handed and vice versa) in a scabbard mounted to either a sword belt or a baldric (shoulder strap). Very large swords, such as seen in Braveheart (which didn't even exist at that time in history) or the Zweihanders sometimes carried by Landsknechts troops were typically carried by hand over the shoulder or even transported to the battlefield in supply carts. The "back scabbard" idea seems to be mainly a modern Hollywood creation. It's possible such an item existed historically, but it must have been extremely rare, as I don't know of any real historical data documenting its use.

I think they use the back mounted weapons thing in Fable mainly to make it easy to see exactly what your character is packing at any given time. Sure, it would be cool to have your sword in a scabbard on your hip and your gun/crossbow slung over your shoulder, but it's not a big deal to me. As I said in another thread, it would be a nice option to be able to unequip your weapons at will so they don't show on you (Oblivion style), but again, not a big deal for me.

monkeybuddhist

Reaction score

why dont they just make it that you can choose whether to have a scabbard or on your back or a gun holster or something like that.

POOP

Whatever floats your goat
Reaction score

Wow. A lot of people don't agree with me.

The morphing thing isn't a problem if it's just on one's belt. I just think it looks cooler and more realistic (although obviously Fable is far from a realistic game). Like OpenWorldExplorer said, during this time in history, nobody would have had a sword on their back (I'm not entirely sure of when it's supposed to be, but I don't think swords were even used during whatever time it is). It's okay for bandits I guess, but for a Prince or noble it seems a bit out of place.

Oh well. At least with that Sir Walter Beck guy there is at least a glimmer of hope. Not that I'd miss the game just because of the swords on the back.

Bluedrake

Reaction score

I think it's a non issue considering that there is no sheath. The weapon just hangs on the hero's back with no visible means of holding it there. A magnetic field maybe...

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score

I actually agree. I would MUCH rather pull it from a scabbard on the belt, rather than have it magically floating on my back. It just seems so much more... Convenient.

Except guns. Those stay on the back. :p

Reaction score

Skotekal;409731 said:
I actually agree. I would MUCH rather pull it from a scabbard on the belt, rather than have it magically floating on my back. It just seems so much more... Convenient.

Except guns. Those stay on the back. :p

Granted it would be quicker to draw Your sword so yeah conventient it would be indeed.

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score

Well, since Peter is all about choices, we should get to decide...

Bluedrake

Reaction score

Skotekal;409742 said:
Well, since Peter is all about choices, we should get to decide...

But he is not so much about practicality, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.