• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Scythe--Makes no sense

TLC-FTW

Wearer of Jack's Mask
Reaction score
Scythe's entire part in the Fable story... Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. So basically we have the former Archon William Black that defeated the Court, and is immortal, yet... Nothing happens with him.

-Scythe is more powerful than the Hero of Oakvale. When you attack him, he simply states: "Don't waste your time. You're attacks are too weak to harm me." Why didn't he go after Jack while the Hero of Oakvale was still a teenager? Why in that entire 40 year time-frame did he never hunt down Jack or help the Guild?

-Why didn't Jack recognize Scythe? William Black was ultimately his greatest foe, the one who usurped his rule over the world, stole his Super-Sword, and killed his Queen. Jack should have definitely known of the existence of his arch-enemy only a 30 yards away from him when he was in Dragon-Form.

-If he couldn't help defeat Jack of Blades, why did he never even contact the Guild like he did after Jack's death, and give them vital information that he already knows from previous experience with Jack. Scythe could have told the Guildmaster about the Sword, Jack's plans, Maze's betrayal, how to stop him, etc. Why didn't he?

Why did the most powerful being in the Fable Mythos sit around and watch over a village while Jack was plotting to destroy the world?

Lenop

Boyish member
Reaction score
If you're looking for a logical lore bit, get real, it's Fable. The story in every installment has been lacking and unsatisfying.

But if you'll settle for my two cents... we're assuming Scythe is William Black, that is never confirmed ever ever. I prefer this story instead: Scythe is a necromancer (as is said in Fable 2) whose only goal is staying alive for whatever reasons. Maybe he was one of the heroes in the age of Archon, William Black, the first battles against the court, Jack's defeat the first time around, he saw the rise and fall of the Old Kingdom, the treacherous end of Nostro, etc. Maybe he even spent a lifetime or two trying to better the world, but frustrated with the guild and/or the heroes predating the guild, and with the realization that history will repeat itself regardless of what he does, he found his time is better spent in Snowspire. What's he doing there? Protecting the oracle? Keeping a watchful eye on the lair where Jack's true and terrible form resides?

So, with that in mind, Scythe may not be nearly as powerful as William Black, or Jack. In fact it's never said that he's powerful in any way. He's just really good at staying alive. Curious about what transaction of souls or other spiritual currency took place that he cannot die... that would be some good lore. Also curious about why his soul wouldn't be just as good as Nostro's or the Guildmaster's for that one quest. Perhaps he doesn't have a soul anymore.

He's an isolationist. A silent witness to the beginning and the end of each old and new age. He predates the Oracle, which puts him at the third age or earlier, which means he saw the end of the Old Kingdom for sure. Certainly he wouldn't be bothered by another end of the world, it's none of his business if Jack destroys the world, a new age will rise out of it and he will remain regardless. It's only when him and his own were threatened that he contacted the guild - when the Hero is an apprentice in training at the guild, Scythe is seen arguing with Maze about the troubles that are stirring in the northern wastes, ignoring Maze's attempts to enlist Scythe's help for the problems that are seemingly commonplace at that moment. Scythe isn't terribly bothered by the deaths of Thunder, Briar and the Guildmaster, because he doesn't really care. The world will end up on someone's hands, and as long as it isn't in the hands of someone intent on bringing down Snowspire and the Oracle he couldn't possibly care less who that person is.

And with these assumptions, there's no reason for Jack to care about Scythe one way or another. Jack was never directly threatened by Scythe as he was with the Guildmaster and others.

But surely this is preposterous to you folks. William Black is Scythe and Jack was either too busy or too stupid to see it right under his nose. That makes much more sense. Yep.

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
If you're looking for a logical lore bit, get real, it's Fable. The story in every installment has been lacking and unsatisfying.

But if you'll settle for my two cents... we're assuming Scythe is William Black, that is never confirmed ever ever. I prefer this story instead: Scythe is a necromancer (as is said in Fable 2) whose only goal is staying alive for whatever reasons. Maybe he was one of the heroes in the age of Archon, William Black, the first battles against the court, Jack's defeat the first time around, he saw the rise and fall of the Old Kingdom, the treacherous end of Nostro, etc. Maybe he even spent a lifetime or two trying to better the world, but frustrated with the guild and/or the heroes predating the guild, and with the realization that history will repeat itself regardless of what he does, he found his time is better spent in Snowspire. What's he doing there? Protecting the oracle? Keeping a watchful eye on the lair where Jack's true and terrible form resides?

So, with that in mind, Scythe may not be nearly as powerful as William Black, or Jack. In fact it's never said that he's powerful in any way. He's just really good at staying alive. Curious about what transaction of souls or other spiritual currency took place that he cannot die... that would be some good lore. Also curious about why his soul wouldn't be just as good as Nostro's or the Guildmaster's for that one quest. Perhaps he doesn't have a soul anymore.

He's an isolationist. A silent witness to the beginning and the end of each old and new age. He predates the Oracle, which puts him at the third age or earlier, which means he saw the end of the Old Kingdom for sure. Certainly he wouldn't be bothered by another end of the world, it's none of his business if Jack destroys the world, a new age will rise out of it and he will remain regardless. It's only when him and his own were threatened that he contacted the guild - when the Hero is an apprentice in training at the guild, Scythe is seen arguing with Maze about the troubles that are stirring in the northern wastes, ignoring Maze's attempts to enlist Scythe's help for the problems that are seemingly commonplace at that moment. Scythe isn't terribly bothered by the deaths of Thunder, Briar and the Guildmaster, because he doesn't really care. The world will end up on someone's hands, and as long as it isn't in the hands of someone intent on bringing down Snowspire and the Oracle he couldn't possibly care less who that person is.

And with these assumptions, there's no reason for Jack to care about Scythe one way or another. Jack was never directly threatened by Scythe as he was with the Guildmaster and others.

But surely this is preposterous to you folks. William Black is Scythe and Jack was either too busy or too stupid to see it right under his nose. That makes much more sense. Yep.
Maze states the ultimate quest of the hero is to escape death. Scythe is the only hero to do so besides Jack. Scythe in many ways represents death himself in Fable 2 when you wish your sister back to life she says she is with Scythe. Jack is the only person powerful enough to defeat Scythe or death. Many heros defeated Jack but can't defeat Scythe. Scythe is the father of all heroes. You defeat Jack in dragon form in a room called Archon's Folly. The truth about Fable is getting a Hero with Scythe's blood. Only he could acquire the Sword of Aeons and wear Jack's mask. This is the only way to defeat death, who would be waiting for you outside Archon's folly no matter what choices you made in your life. If you did not have the sword, the heroes blood, or the mask you could not defeat death you must have all to be powerful enough.

That is my theory.

TLC-FTW

Wearer of Jack's Mask
Reaction score
Your theory is solid, but I strongly doubt it. If you ask the Oracle about William Black, they mention that William's shadow has not yet left Albion or something like that. Plus in the History of the Old Kingdom, William encases himself in Gold Armor with Blue robes, and when Scythe appears it is in tattered peices of gold armor and blue robes. When you attack him he tells you that you are too weak to kill him. He also knows everything about Jack and the Court, being able to warn you not to wear the mask/etc. He is immortal, trained Nostro in the lost ways of Will that Black invented, and etc. I don't think Scythe not being William Black is possible anymore.

william black

I am the original archon
Reaction score
Dose my profile pic help in this mater, and I also have been thinking that if scythe is william black and you see him it can't be ruled out that he's a relative of yours but if what your saying Is tru than why did he just sit around all day and not beagle ti do anything about jack and as you said why dident he contact the gild sooner and why.the he'll ( if he is william) name himself after I get a weapon wich he never uses

MrStopWatch

Reaction score
Dose my profile pic help in this mater, and I also have been thinking that if scythe is William Black and you see him it can't be ruled out that he's a relative of yours but if what your saying is true, then why did he just sit around all day and not bother to do anything about jack and as you said why didn't he contact the guild sooner and why the hell ( if he is William) name himself after I get a weapon which he never uses
Repetition through immortality darkens the soul of all, even if he IS William, after millennia ya' kinda stop caring because you think of things as cycles and you feel that everything repeats itself, the only reason Scythe actually helps or advises in any way is to not be bothered, neither him nor his town, to avoid anything bothering his way of life, even if it means informing the clueless you(you wouldn't be so clueless if you read every book in Fable and Fable TLC but you don't read them all in your first playthrough).