• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Short Story- The Classroom

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score
Short Story- The Classroom

Right I haven't decided on the name yet, so it may change but anywho I was bored and had a very vague idea pop into my head.... I hope you like it.
The Classroom:

The school bell rang for what seemed too long, all the children sat upon their chairs holding their face’s on the edges of their palms in sheer boredom, awaiting the routine education as they had always seen on Monday mornings. They awaited their teacher, who was always late, he taught the children the normal ideas of what children were expected to learn Math, English, Geography he tried his hardest to keep the kids morale up though this was not easy with the limited funds and support the school had.

A break from the deathly silence, a simple exhausted sigh from one of the kids a few looked at each other doing their best to summon a smile, then their brows falling once more as they heard the footsteps…..

Ol’ Mr Gibson walked in casually waving to the class, cheerful… for a change. What was different today?

“Why you so happy” cried a child with his head buried in his arms.
Mr Gibson did not sit down as he normally did, he leaned back on his desk looking smug and blissful, he woofed at all the children, commenting and asking them to cheer up.

They ask why.

“Well today I have a very good surprise for you all!” he shouted, really shooting at the pain of the 7am headaches of the class which was followed by mixed reactions a few gripped their ears some just grunted at him, but some… some actually straightened up in excitement.
Their excitement was indeed wise…

“Today! We have a special guest to give a little talk and share some stories.” chuckled the teacher.

The kids at the front rolled their eyes and deeply sighed.

“who’s it this time, another farmed?” retorted a child from the back, the class lit up with life full giggles.

“No Adam not another farmer!” snapped Mr Gibson, “Today we have a hero! Come on in Hero!”

Every single child within the room jolted up in shock and fascination.

As a young meagre lad entered the room the class sat silently staring bluntly and unconvinced. A little girl tilted her head in suspicion as the hero walked in and raised her hand and waving it about vigorously.

“Yes just take a seat there.” mumbled Ol’ Gibson to the hero. Gibson sat down at his desk and gave word for the hero to begin while faintly doing some paperwork, the hero nodded nervously. The hero scanned the room and smiled while chocking on his own tongue, then moved over to the chalk board to proceed to write his name. He shakily scratched some letters on the board., when he finished he put the chalk down on the desk leaving a mark on it, Gibson eyed him. The hero quickly looked away from Gibson and moved out of the way revealing the name to the class.
It simply stated “ MARROW”

A few boys laughed clearly knowing what it meant, and wondering why a hero would be named as such. Marrow removed his long coat and placed it over the chair he was given. He looked at the girl who was still waving her arm about.

“Err you have a question?” He asked nicely. She shot back “Can I go home now?”

Marrow’s eyes narrowed in confusion and looked at the teacher “No” spoke Gibson ridiculing the girl.

“Errm ok anyway my name is Marrow and I…” The hero was interrupted.
“What kinda hero wears that?! You look like a..” the cruel child was cut off from Gibson “Enough of that Neil.” put Gibson softly.

Marrow uneasily laughed stroking the back of his head while the children eyed and inspected him, striking fear into Marrow. The children held back giggles at the cheap and plain ugly cottons, the old near rusted bronze hand axe & short sword wrapped with leather tied around his belt. His hair scruffy, rough, mixed matched brown and blonde confused everyone why he had dyed his hair two separate colours was beyond them.

He scratched his chin while smiling and waving awkwardly, a light beard but the beginnings of a man.

“Children stop being brats, and let him talk”

“We never stopped him talkin sir” snarled a young ruffian at the back.

“Is there any questions you would like to ask…” Gibson paused to look at the board “…Marrow(?)”

A girl from the right raised her hand slowly, Marrow nodded at her.
“what’s a marrow?” she asked in sincerity, Marrow went to answer but again was cut off.

“it’s the liquid that’s in yer bones!” shouted a boy at the front.
The girls squirmed in disgust. “right so I guess you’re wondering why I’m called that then huh.” said Marrow hurriedly.

“Is it because you smell of it?” laughed a boy at the back. “Adam..” warned Gibson without raising his head.

“er no. Its not because of I smell of it, its because when I was training…” Marrow looked at the floor uneasily sighing “I was shot by an arrow, it err…. Broke one of my ribs. And huhhh ahhhh nearly died I nearly died...”
The children’s heads raised up in a serious manner for the first time they were sitting proper, Ol’ Gibson looked up from his paper ever curious how he‘d survived. The girls looked unknowingly thinking nothing of it wondering how, the boys all raised their hands.

Marrow flickered his hand across the classroom then pointed to one of the lads “err you”

“How exactly you’d survive that sir?” asked the lad in respect.

Marrow sort of stumbled forward, his figure getting tense. Gibson and all the children looking on at him in anticipation…….. “I really have no idea. The doctor said it was unexplainable I just… just sort of got better. But the marrow is still in my blood stream..”

The entire room shuck their heads bewildered at the man not believing him or at least not wanting to. No further inquiries were made of his name, but soon as he stopped speaking every hand in the class was in the air. He fell back into his chair, somehow he’d managed to win the little brats over… Unbelievable he thought, while smirking slightly he rubbed his face and stood back up with new found confidence.

He pointed over to the girl who had asked to leave earlier hoping for a more interesting question.

She smiled “Why do you have two weapons?” she screeched in curious excitement, he looked around at everyone wanted to hear him talking.
He huffed in shock of the faces “ I was well ermm. You know how the guards train with a long sword? Which requires two hands, well you’d know of such a style. There are various fighting forms, many common some rare. I’ve always been trained to dual wield what that means exactly is that I fight with a weapon in each hand attacking and defending with both hands. Now I don’t know if your teacher will allow it but I’ve brought some toy weapons along…”

Gibson’s face reacted in horror, the children screamed in joy all running towards Marrow surrounding him laughing., he lifted one of the girls up in his arms carrying her. A small supply of wooden swords and other weapons were handed around to each child.

“Errr children please be careful, don’t swing or throw them! Remember safety condu..c..t..” yelped Mr Gibson who was interrupted by Marrow.

“Right some of you have swords, you know what swords are of course, but you!” pointing at the short quite lad at the front left.. “have a pole arm, it’s a bit shorter than a traditional staff for the purpose that it is for under tens.. You loudmouth at the back you’re carrying a club, plain but an effective choice…..”

“sir! I have another question.”

“Well that went better than I thought hah.” laughed Marrow to Mr Gibson while looking at the now empty classroom, Mr Gibson nodded gently… “I’ll inform your guild master you done a great job, and you can possibly graduate?” smiled Mr Gibson offering his hand to the Soon to be hero, which he had chosen not to tell the children.

Marrow exited the school, looking at the children playing with the wooden weapons and telling their parents then looking back at the teacher…

“You didn’t tell them I was a apprentice did you?” asked Marrow calmly but instantly stopping Gibson from replying. Marrow said farewell to old man Gibson each wishing each other fortune in their futures.

Marrow walked past some of the children readying to be back to the guild, when he was stopped by one of the kids…

She grabbed his leggings, “When can you come back Marrow?” He looked at her for a few moments…

“When I graduate.” He said uneasily awaiting her reaction.

“Can’t wait! See ya!” she shouted as she ran off with her friends.
---

Hermit