• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Skyrim: Hearthfire Add-On

ScareCrowReturn

The Token Schizo
Premium
Reaction score
Just a question, when you say released on september 4th, do you mean UK september 4th, North America September 4th or New Zealand September 4th..

Because its september 4th and their aint no mother flippin heartfire bitchez!

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Just a question, when you say released on september 4th, do you mean UK september 4th, North America September 4th or New Zealand September 4th..

Because its september 4th and their aint no mother flippin heartfire bitchez!

It should be online now, saw it on Xbox.com earlier though Live was down for maintenance at the time so I couldnt check for sure.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Been playing it for a while today - xbl was down for a while the moment it was released but I got on long enough to download it. And I like it :D

Lots of fetching and carrying, which I expected, and my first home is near-ish to Dawnstar, right close to a giant camp (where I'm guessing the nuisance neighbours come in). Got me a steward, a carriage, a horse in a stable, some chickens, a garden, a cow, grain mill and pretty much everything you could ever need in one place other than a handy mine for iron.

If you don't want to do too much pratting about to begin with and just want to build something from the offset, stock up on iron ingots, quarried stone (you can mine it from your plot of land - there's a pickaxe nearby too and the stone doesn't seem to ever run out), some leather strips and plenty of lumber which you can buy from any mill. As you get further into the whole furnishings thing, you will find that you need more stuff - some of it rarer than others - and a fairly large bank account. But I like it, it's fun and kind of cool to have your own place shown on the map rather than messing about trying to remember where it is in one of the cities.

If you don't know how to trigger the whole thing, here's how it goes:

**A courier will come up to you at some point with two letters - one from a Jarl and one from the orphanage in Riften. The former will inform you of new opportunities to decorate an already-existing home with a child's bedroom and the latter will invite you to come on over and pick a kid or two. You have to have somewhere to live before you can get up to two children - you can either purchase a kiddy extension for your home or you can come back to the orphanage later and pick kids once you've built your own home.

To get a plot of land, to my understanding, you need to be Thane of one of the towns that does not offer property - Morthal, Dawnstar or Falkreath. Speak directly to the Jarl and the option to purchase land should come up. Dawnstar costs about 5000. The rest is pretty self-explanatory and if you get stuck, there is a book on the workbench near your building site which tells you where to get things like glass and straw etc. Your housecarl will meet you there at some point and you can promote him or her to Steward if you like which means you can just send them out on your behalf to get supplies or furnishings if you can't be bothered with the hassle.**

Yes, it's not a whole new storyline or side quest or whatever but if you're someone who likes the idea of getting to make your own stuff and decorate it how you wish (up to a point, of course. I wanted to mount dead bandits on my wall but apparently that's a no no) then I think it's a great little addition to the game. If you're someone who gets quite heavily into the whole role-playing thing, it serves as a nice extra option to make things more realistic for you. Working to get the cash to build your own home, gathering materials by yourself, defending your property and growing your own food - I like it, it's cool :D

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
The advantages you are using it for are more or less the things id want it for. Its a pain having to search around different towns for different items to craft things from then remembering where the forges/blacksmith benches are. If I can store items for each crafting activity etc in different rooms and gain resources around the same area that I can craft them it would be a great help to me.

ScareCrowReturn

The Token Schizo
Premium
Reaction score
So far I have had dragons attack my house, its getting kind of annoying actually, every time I show up theirs some prick wanting to burn my house down, cant we all just get along..?

Aions

Cant dance.
Reaction score
I caved and bought it any way.
Ive just about 100% completed my house south of Dawnstar. I am missing some barrels and weapon racks here and there on the first floor, but the top floor and outside area are all complete.
But i have yet to even touch my cellar save for some lamp things ive put up.

So 'bout 90% done I'd say.

I have also bought out all of Syrims Iron ore and bars.

Got me a steward, a carriage...
I have the same house as you, who do i talk to to get a carriage?

It's kind of like the housing DLCS they did for Oblivion. There were so many of them with little crappy quests that they all became boring after a few visits to each. (examples include the Vile Lair)
Out of all of the "house DLCs" for Oblivion, i found Vile lair to prove the most useful. You wouldn't have to do that long ass quest to cure your self.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
I have the same house as you, who do i talk to to get a carriage?
Your Steward can arrange it - as well as a spare horse (for some reason my usual horse keeps wandering off), chickens, a cow and stuff like that.

Aions

Cant dance.
Reaction score
Your Steward can arrange it - as well as a spare horse (for some reason my usual horse keeps wandering off), chickens, a cow and stuff like that.
Oh, so you need one for the other.
I see..
Thank you

:shifty:

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Just a heads up about a nasty glitch in the Hearthfire DLC.

Kotaku said:
After you’ve built an entryway and a main hall for your manor, you can start selecting optional rooms like a library or kitchen. Each set of rooms is attached to a wing of the house — you can only build bedrooms in the west wing, for example — but you can only start planning out one room per wing at a time.

This is where the problems start. If you pick a plan from the west wing, start building parts of it over at the workbench, and then select another plan from the west wing at the drafting table, everything goes wonky. You can lose progress and even deny yourself access to entire rooms. (One of my blueprints disappeared entirely, and I can’t get it back.)

So what’s the solution? Build one thing at a time. Don’t pick multiple blueprints from the drafting table at once: just select one, finish all of its pieces at the workbench, and then move on to the next plan. Don’t get cute and experiment with drafting, or you might lock yourself out of some of the game’s content.

ScareCrowReturn

The Token Schizo
Premium
Reaction score
Just a heads up about a nasty glitch in the Hearthfire DLC.

Good to know and all.. But like, wouldn't you normally just build room by room? I mean, why would you start more then one room at a time, seems a bit silly, but I can see some people doing it.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Good to know and all.. But like, wouldn't you normally just build room by room? I mean, why would you start more then one room at a time, seems a bit silly, but I can see some people doing it.

I don't really find it silly. Whenever I build a house in a game I often plan the foundation first and get a theme going, then work on different rooms together, going back to the others once in awhile whenever my ideas change. Feels easier that way for me while getting more done at the same time.