• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

spell failure

D

Dronaj

spell failure

I was wondering if you guys think that there will be some kind of degree of spell failure applied to armor this time around. If you don't know what that means let me provide an example. In the first Fable you could be a solely, primarily, exclusive will(magic/spells) user and still be running around Albion wearing humongous hulking plate armor. Now that doesn't seem very realistic. I know from personal experience that in Dungeons and Dragons, which pretty much paved the way for most RPG games (video or not) that we enjoy today, there was a percentage of spell failure applied to certain heavy armors such as plate, chain mail, and splint, and some leathers. Meaning that you couldn't go running around in plate mail casting complex spells without them failing a lot.

Now i come back to my question. Do you guys think that will users will be constrained to wearing only cloth and some leather armors? Or do you think that it will be like it was in the first Fable, in that casting spells was in no way affected by the size, weight, or density of your armor?

Aesan

the Savior
Reaction score
Re: spell failure

I think that if I were magic, I'd be really cheesed off if it relied on my fasion sense.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score

I don't see why.

In DnD arcane spell failure only applies to spells with gestures(the wave of a hand ect...) and not spells which relies only on mental or vocal incantations.

All in all it's a very old and rather complex system which I've quite frankly never ever seen outside of a DnD game, so I really doubt it will be in Fable 2.

Maybe they'll just do like every other game - just make it so a spellcaster can't wear heavy armour whatsoever.

Man

The Superior Being
Reaction score

its probably gonna stay the same

D

Dronaj

Maybe they'll just do like every other game - just make it so a spellcaster can't wear heavy armour whatsoever.

well, that's what i meant. i think. haha.
i confuse myself sometimes.
i don't know thinking back on it, chances are they'll keep it the same as it was because of the dynamic way that you can switch between spells and swords and guns. it's not like there's a talent tree that defines you as a certain type of player like WoW. you can be everything! wooooo!

poopgod350

KINKY!
Reaction score

Yea spell failure is used in some mmo's but i have yet to find it in a console game

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score

I'd just like to add: Still Spell for the win.

If you know what I'm talking about you're nerdy enough for me to roll a d20 and if it's a roll of 10 or more, I'll salute you.

Wonderfoole WINO

Schizoid Misanthopist
Reaction score

well, use of magic at all isnt realistic. i hope they keep it the same. leave keeping track of stupid **** like that to elder scrolls. seriously, do i really need to be skilled to whear heavy armor? sure it should slow you down, but does it really take skill to have and inch and a half of steel stop an arrow? i think they should keep it the way it is, where your spells are more powerful depending on the spell level. besides, its way to late for speculation, as the game is already compleate.

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score

well, i havent seen ANY armour so far in fab2 so i dont think youll have to worry, even chief's is cloth its saddining, lthough i do like what they did with the M

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score

TJ Griffin;198855 said:
seriously, do i really need to be skilled to whear heavy armor? sure it should slow you down, but does it really take skill to have and inch and a half of steel stop an arrow?

Yeah you do. Have you ever wore a suit of armour? They weigh a ton! Being "skilled" in wearing armour isn't as much being able to fully use it as protection, but rather fight and move around while wearing one. :lol:

Wonderfoole WINO

Schizoid Misanthopist
Reaction score

well i realize that, and that should come into effect. but your ability to move in it doesnt really do anything for you when it comes to being hit. plate mail will protect you so much. and your skill aint gonna make it any thicker. guess that was kinda a bad example. but you get the point.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score

But it seems you are unable to grasp mine: Sure, everyone can strap on a suit of plate mail and stand there and get pounded - but then what? You'll need a lot of training to actually fight back at all.

Wonderfoole WINO

Schizoid Misanthopist
Reaction score

i understand that. i just dont like how your skill in oblivion affects the defence the armor gives you. affecting your speed yes, but not the defence. meh, its just kinda annoying. but back on topic, i prefer the spell system fable already has.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score

I hope every "class" in Fable can wear any armor. Just that it takes extra strength to move normally in heavy armor and magic robes provide extra magical power/abilities etc. It`s Fable where everything is allowed, but it`s better to stick to what suits you best.

moonfever

Premium
Reaction score

I haven't heard anything about that. I love the robes. I hope there's still shields. I don't think it will matter what we wear to use magic. :unsure: