• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Archaeologist's Son

P

Pandionwolf

The Archaeologist's Son

My first fanfiction ever, hope it's enjoyable.

After the destruction of the entity known as Jack of Blades in the fires beyond the Bronze Gate, there was a massive influx of magical energy into Albion. It congregated around the more ancient and magical things - the Focus Sites and Demon Doors. The demon in the mask had been both powerful and ancient in equally huge quantities, and like attracts like. Several of the Focus Sites disappeared, and returned, hours, days, or weeks later, often with a few stunned peasants and some bewildered wildlife. The Demon Doors twisted horrible, their stone faces contorting into pictures of agony, despair and hatred. Several disappeared entirely, along with any that had passed into them, while many more appeared in apparently random sites across Albion.
Not many people noticed this - even the remaining Heroes seemed oblivious. One man noticed, in his new hideout. A man once called the Archaeologist...
End of Part 1

Part 2 coming soon...

D

Darg

Re: The Archaeologist's Son

I for one, like it. It's good to see that there are other writers on the site (click my sig... if you dare!). It looks as though it's off to a good start. I must say, it looks like you put your time into it, seeing as a lot of fan fiction entries are riddled with typos and mistakes. I can't wait to hear more!

KaveX

Witcher
Premium
Reaction score

I thought it was pretty good to ^_^ could barely read it though, had to squint.

J

jlrobinson

i thought it was interesting, work on the spelling and grammar, other than that its very interesting and i really hope this wont be your last idea.

droded

I Am Awesome
Premium
Reaction score

Wow +Rep.

PS. Why is jlrobinson only a Supporter? Wouldn't he be both a supporter and a villager?

P

Pandionwolf

Thanks, and sorry about the type size, I'm still trying to sort out how to work the thing.
I did read "The Eye of the Pheonix". It was fantastic, if a little long.

P

Pandionwolf

Part 2
After the Archaeologist fled Jack’s Minions for the West, he became a glove trader, and slowly built up business until he was quite wealthy (there are not many glove traders in the West). And soon he married, and he had a son, and lived for quite a while in peace.
The Archaeologist felt the shock of energy in Albion. He was still Albian at heart, and though he had turned his back on his home it still called to him.
Since leaving Albion, the Archaeologist had not touched any book more interesting than a novel, and had fled when offered a look at some archaeological find or ruin. He lived in terror that if he started on his old researches again, worse things than a demonic entity from the dawn of time. His wife, for one.
So he ignored the call when he felt it. But there was another in the West who felt the call, one who had had a fascination in Albion and the Old Kingdom from his earliest days. The Archaeologist’s son had inherited his father’s intelligence, but none of his cowardice, at least not yet. He was a tall, moderately good-looking lad of fifteen, who spent his time wandering in the wilderness and secretly practicing the powers of Will, which were forbidden in the Western cities. He had listened to his father’s infrequent tales of Albion, when the old man had drunk too much and was a little less terrified of distant horrors. He’d heard of the Heroes Guild, especially one particular Hero who had ousted him from his hiding place, something which eventually led to his capture by the Minions. He’d heard of Maze, of the Guildmaster, and of course, of Jack of Blades.
So, when he heard a ship from Albion had come into the harbour, he did the only logical thing, that anyone might do when faced with such tales of horror and woe. He leapt aboard without a moment’s thought.
It should be noted that he chose not to tell his parents.
So the ship sailed to Albion, taking the Archaeologist’s son with it, as he went to visit the land of his father’s nightmares.
End of Part 2

Please note the use of the word 'Albian' as a native of Albion. I'm not sure what the correct term is.

P

Pandionwolf

Part 3
The ship docked on a warm autumn day. After a few weeks of travel, all of those aboard were eager for the chance to stretch their rather jellied legs.
The Archaeologist's son was the second person to disembark. He would have been the first but for the old warning, that the first to leave is the first to die.
The ship had made good time - only two weeks after leaving his home, the Archaeologist's son was in Bowerstone, city of Heroes, the center of Albion and where all men must go at least once (to keep the economy up). As he stepped on the quay, the Archaeologist's son breathed deeply. This was home, he felt, home in his bones, at least, where the relics of the Old Kingdom were everywhere and the world breathed magic.
A crowd had gathered not far from the quay, of wives and children greeting the sailors. The Archaeologist's son stood to one side, thinking with a grin of what his parents were doing.
Panicking, probably.
The crowd gently drifted away towards the main part of the town, and he followed a little behind. A guard had searched him for weaponry, and had removed his little knife, but what use was a knife when all this power flowed around everything? The sailors had said that magic was impossible within Bowerstone though, so he would leave for the moment. He should set off, in the morning. He didn't know where to - the Heroes Guild, perhaps... but first, food and drink were calling and that was something he could not resist.
His father had spoken highl... well, he'd spoken of the tavern, mainly in terms being swindled and the bard never shutting up. But the lad found it quite comfortable, and sat in the glow by the fire, casually eavesdropping on the local's conversations. A word caught his ear, and he turned his head slightly to listen to a gaunt, pale individual in the corner.
"...the Archaeologist's son, that's right. He was on the ship, apparently, though none of the sailors will talk to me. I need to find him, and soon, it'll close soon, and then we'll really be in it!"
The Archaeologist's son, coughed into his mug. Him! He spluttered a bit and received a heavy blow on the back from one of the sailors nearby.
"You right lad?"
"Yeah, think so..." replied the Archaeologist's son.
Shortly afterwards he went upstairs to his hired room.
He left the following morning.

A

Arckon

Well done
sign0098.gif

You
sign0081.gif
it

P

Pandionwolf

Part 4
Warm sunshine lit the yellow and brown leaves of the trees lining the road. A horseman moved along it, horse just plodding, going gently. He wasn’t used to horses.
The Archaeologist’s son had left Bowerstone in a hurry after hearing his name. Someone wanted to see him…He began to see with awful clarity why his father was so terrified of this place. There was no such thing as simple interest. Everyone was interested for a reason, and someone’s reason involved him. Well, he’d fled. Fled to flee another day. And he’d ended up here.
With all the energy roaring round Albion, time and space were getting a little confused. All known Cullis Gates had been shut down after a nasty incident involving carrots and floating heads. But the lad had ridden off in, what he thought was the general direction of the Heroes guild but had ended up here. Where precisely here was was another issue entirely – all the lad knew was that he hadn’t seen anyone while he travelled and that travel had been extraordinarily quick.
The road had petered out a little way back, stones become dust, which gave way to grass. He stopped and slid painfully off the horse, gritting his teeth. Trees were scattered prolifically around here, turning the light orange and green. There was a river a little way to his left, and to his right, a cliff which looked bare…
…but was in fact glaring at him.
The Archaeologist’s son gave a yelp and fell back. A face in the rock! Something his father had said stirred in his mind.
“A Demon Door,” he said aloud. The magic Old Kingdom doors that guarded fabulous treasures and opened if you solved their riddles, or something. He remembered the tale of the Demon Door Hits that his father had hid in. They could be dangerous, or humorous, or just plain stupid.
He approached the Door carefully. Unlike other Demon Doors, who were built of plain grey stone, this one was gleaming marble, shot with veins of what looked like sapphire. It had a curiously kingly expression, and surveyed him haughtily.
The Archaeologist’s son stepped up and cleared his throat.
“Open, Door, so that I may pass,” he said in what he hoped was a clear, commanding voice. It sounded more like someone had kneed him sharply.
The Door’s glowing eyes glared at him stonily. Silence ruled for a choking moment.
Then the Door spoke: “There are ways and means to get me to open, and an order ain’t one of ‘em. I must taste the Blood before I swing ajar. I must know the right bones. I MUST KNOW IF YOU ARE THE ONE!” The last words were delivered like hammer blows. The Archaeologist’s son sank to his knees. Then natural optimism kicked in. What they hey, it said, another day, another Door. It was only curiosity.
And curiosity killed the zebra, as they said in the West. But satisfaction brought it back. What that had to do with anything, the boy didn’t know. But it sounded good.
“Blood you want, then blood you’ll get,” he said. “Bone too, apparently.” He pulled his knife from a saddlebag and set it to the base of his little finger. The traditional price. Well, it’d be paid, thought the boy.
He shut his eyes and tensed himself for the pain. Then he cracked them open, squinting. Nope. Finger’s still there.
It was hard to do. He knew that any artificer back home could make him a better one like a shot, and Albion’s wizards could do the same. But it was like… well, it was like cutting off a finger.
But then it was done. There was pain, but it was stifled by a strange euphoria. He was elated. He’d done it, and the Door would open.
He held the gory digit up and waved it in front of the Door’s eyes.
“Good enough for you?” he asked.
The Door considered for a moment, then said, “Yes. I suppose so. In you go.”
It split in the middle and swung outwards.
The Archaeologist’s son stepped forward. Blackness enveloped him…
… and spat him out suddenly on the other side of the Door.
For a while he lay on the ground, dazed, then he went to push himself up. When he saw his mangled hand, nausea leapt up like some ugly rabbit and he was violently sick.
When he’d recovered, he wandered a little way in the sunshine. This wasn’t quite what he’d expected. It was all outside. He could see the sky.
There was no sign of the Door he’d come through, except a flicker of shadow beyond the trees.
He was on a hill. Below, stretched out like a magnificent accident, was a city.
It’s walls were white, and smoke puffed cheerily from it’s chimneys. Hunger stabbed him like an steak-knife in the gut.
He set off down the hill.
End of Part 4

droded

I Am Awesome
Premium
Reaction score

Nice one. I must say you are one of the best Fan Fiction writers I have come across, as most of them have Spelling and Grammar errors (No offense to anyone else).

P

Pandionwolf

Last part people. This is the end...

Part 5
The city of New Bowerstone was busy, even at midnight. The day people had long retired to bed, and the night people had arisen, those who avoided, hated or slept through the sunlight. Night watchmen patrolled the corners and alleys of the city, picking up anyone too drunk or too unconscious or too dead to care. The businesses of the city thundered on, the mills and slaughterhouses, the carpenters and builders were all well into the night shift. Night traders were out, selling slightly more disreputable goods than their daylight cousins. The pubs and taverns still flowed with people, like squat monsters breathing, exhaling drunks and inhaling fresh drinkers. Those who didn’t wish their faces to be seen, or any other part for that matter, did their business at night. Upper-class Hobbes, banshees and vampires crept around, doing whatever they did. Bowerstone was a multicultural city. And a multispecies city too.
In one of the quieter alleys a man was lying. He was drunk. This was a good thing, in his mind – the alcohol dulled the pain and shock, and everything seemed a lot clearer in a really distorted way.
He was quite young. He had no really distinguishing features, especially not in the dark, except his left hand which was missing the little finger. At the moment, he couldn’t quite remember why it was missing. Someone had cut it off…
“I think,” he gurgled foggily “I think I was cut it orf…”
He frowned at this, unimpressed. That couldn’t be right. Ah well…
“They said sumfin ‘bout a Spririre,” he mumbled. “A Spirire…Tall an’ fin but not fin’shed yet. An’ Broworstoone, they said this was Bowerwerstone!”
This was apparently hilarious, and he coughed and spluttered, choking on drunken laughter. After a while he subsided, head falling back onto the pavement with a thonk.
“There wuz a man, wuz’nee calle’? The Arkeholojist or sumfin. Wuz’nee?”
And with that he fell asleep.
And so the Archaeologist’s son slept in a back alley of New Bowerstone, peacefully for now, which was probably just as well, sice things were going to get very rowdy quite soon.

The sun rose reluctantly over New Bowerstone, dreading what it might see there but looking anyway. This was the quietest time of day in Bowerstone – the night people had retired but the day people weren’t out yet. It was traditionally the time most people woke to find themselves in gutters and back alleys with splitting headaches, and sometimes very little else.
New Bowerstone was a lot bigger than the Bowerstone of ages past. It had been destroyed, not by demonic entities or raging heroes or armies of dragons, as one might expect and, indeed, hope – no, it had been ravaged by a barbarian horde, and a pitifully small one at that. But they’d been thrown out and then offered entrance again, this time for a small fee, which went some way to rebuilding the city. Some were still around now, trading fur and barbaric weapons, or drinking heavily and being thrown out of the taverns.
The old manor was still standing though – it was a major tourist attraction these days. Apparently it had once belonged to the Grey family, as had the mayorship of Bowerstone, although they didn’t have one of those any more. The mayorship had died out with the family 500 years ago. People still told tales of that time, when glorious Heroes were everywhere, and they had a Guild, even, and there had been Jack of Blades, who’d been defeated by another Hero, whose name could never be agreed on.
But the buzz on everyone’s lips at the moment was something quite different – the Spire. The name bounced across crowds without seeming to touch lips, the air conducting rumour faster than a metal rod in a thunderstorm. No one knew where it was, although it was common knowledge that it wasn’t finished, and also that it was enormously tall – 20 miles was the current rumour. It’s builder was a man callec Lucien, but that was all anyone knew about him.
The Archaeologist’s son had picked up a little of this when he’d staggered into the tavern the previous night, and now as he shuffled out into the painfully bright light he picked up something else. Apparently there was a new Hero wandering around. No one agreed as to whether this Hero was man or woman, or even as to their name, although they had done some quite astounding things.
Sounds like that Hero Father used to talk about, thought the Archaeologist’s son. Except he’s never as nice…
He stumbled on the pavement. Now that he was sober, important issues were hammering on the glass window of his mind, demanding to be let in. Getting home was one. Where he was was another. Damn magic and it’s damn space/time fluctuations.
He stumbled into a nearby tavern and sat down heavily. He ordered breakfast, and then, when it arrived, stared uncomprehendingly at it. His brain felt full. Thinking hurt.
“You alright, lad?”
The boy looked up into the cheerful and vaguely concerned face of the barman.
“Yeah, uh, thanks,” he said. “Um, can you tell me where I am?”
The barman did not look surprised. “Drank a bit much last night, didjer? Not to worry. This is Bowerstone, mate. New Bowerstone, to be precise. In Albion,” he added kindly.
The boy stared at him dumbly, then with a tremendous prescence of mind forced his mouth into action.
“Thanks. Uh, which way to the Heroes Guild? I need to be there soon…”
This did startle the barman. “Heroes Guild? We haven’t had one of those for almost 500 years, mate! It was destroyed, weren’t it? You must ‘ave drunk a lot to believe we ‘ad a Heroes Guild. Even foreigners know that!”
The boy sttod up suddenly. “Um, thanks,” he said, and then ran off.
The barman looked at the plate on the table. It was untouched.
“Waste not want not,” he muttered, and sat down.

The Archaeologist’s son reached the top of the hill very quickly. Desperation and temporal shock lends wings to a man.
He plunged into the trees, smashing branches apart with his fists, sending twigs and leaves flying in a great green spray. Nothing. The Door had gone.
He hadn’t expected anything else. He’d worked it out unusually quickly, having been blessed with a considerable intelligence, and also the stregth of character to believe that he wasn’t insane. 500 years, gone like the autumn leaves. And no way back.
He sat for a long time on the hill, until the sun began to hurry to it’s bed and the air grew cold. He wasn’t sad. In a way, he was very happy. He was continuing a family tradition. He’d research the ruins of Old Albion, and he’d have an amazing knowledge of them. People would say his name in amazement.
He spared a brief thought for his parents. They’d be alright. He’d find them, or what was left of them, here and now. He owed them that. And he’d say goodbye.
He couldn’t do anything else. All he had was here and now. And if here and now happened to be 500 years away from the here and now he was born in, so be it. So much the better, in fact.
He walked off down the hill.

The End

Steve

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Name
Steve

I've only started reading through Part 1 but already I'm impressed. Keep up the good work, Pandionwolf! ;)

droded

I Am Awesome
Premium
Reaction score

That was a very good ending! I like that! A Short story, where most people don't know where to end!. +Rep to you.

Perhaps a sequel?;)

D

Darg

Pandionwolf;89303 said:
Thanks, and sorry about the type size, I'm still trying to sort out how to work the thing.
I did read "The Eye of the Pheonix". It was fantastic, if a little long.

Why thank you. Indeed as droded said, with short stories and ending them, I am no short story writer. I like things long and elaborate, but your works are of absolute genius! You seem to be quite the short story spinner from what I can already tell! I just now finished it and I am astounded by it all. +rep for your brilliant efforts and I hope to see more in the future...

KaveX

Witcher
Premium
Reaction score

I Took a look and was pretty good ^_^