• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Hordes of Hollows

r5v3n

Indifferent Member
Reaction score
Hello guys! I just put up this thread so I can gather some ideas for a book I'm planning to write (not that its a big deal).
If you have any ideas, they are most welcome here, especially ideas about Mourningwood and Hollowmen. Anyway, anything is still good as I can still have a change of heart later on with the plot creation.

El Mosqueton

Party Animal
Reaction score
Many times I did find myself thinking how interesting a small fan-fiction would be about a stray soldier that got lost in the woods. I even thought about the prologue being anachronic, featuring said soldier surrounded by hollowmen and thinking how exactly he got there, and that would be were the narrative would start. I thought of cameos of a (living) Simmons, Finn and Swiftie. I also thought of perhaps an arcane magic that transported him unto Wraithmarsh. and so on. It was no to be thought.

r5v3n

Indifferent Member
Reaction score
Thanks! That was exactly what I need. I was thinking of the idea vaguely but couldn't just grasp it firmly. How about Sam and Max transporting the soldier via the Normanomicon? What say thou?

Cain

Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right forum, but I like this idea for a book about hollow men. Nice name for it too. I always wondered what hollow men were, and I wasn't really satisfied with fable 2s explanation that they were just wisps taking over bodies. In Fable 3 you only see them in areas with large graveyards like mourningwood. I don't have any ideas right now, but I would love to see an explanation on why these wisps possess the bodies of the deceased.

El Mosqueton

Party Animal
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right forum, but I like this idea for a book about hollow men. Nice name for it too. I always wondered what hollow men were, and I wasn't really satisfied with fable 2s explanation that they were just wisps taking over bodies. In Fable 3 you only see them in areas with large graveyards like mourningwood. I don't have any ideas right now, but I would love to see an explanation on why these wisps possess the bodies of the deceased.
The less you know about something like the undead, the better. You fill this yourself and it creates a better ambient. Think Jaws or Cloverfield.

Cain

Reaction score
I at least know why Jaws and Cloverfield are there. Jaws is an overly aggresive Shark, Cloverfield is an alien. With the undead, I know why the zombies are in the manor in resident evil. All I want to know is why there are wisps flying around, there to create hollow men for you to fight. A small explanation about how they were sinners or something wouldn't ruin them.

El Mosqueton

Party Animal
Reaction score
I at least know why Jaws and Cloverfield are there. Jaws is an overly aggresive Shark, Cloverfield is an alien. With the undead, I know why the zombies are in the manor in resident evil. All I want to know is why there are wisps flying around, there to create hollow men for you to fight. A small explanation about how they were sinners or something wouldn't ruin them.
Nope. It's from here. A japanese slushe company that drilled the seafloor awakened it. Also the monster seen in the film is just a baby.

Anyway if you must:
When a citizen of Albion dies with strong emotional attachments to the world such as a guilty conscience or important matters left unresolved, they become a ghost instead of moving on. Ghosts are able to freely transform into a Wisp and back as seen in the quest Gone But Not Forgotten.
Over time the human part of a ghost will dissolve into nothing if their ties to the world are not resolved, leaving only a restless spirit in its place known as a Wisp. These Wisps harbor anger, likely resulting from jealousy towards the living citizens of Albion and animate the bones of the deceased in order to take this anger out physically.

El Mosqueton

Party Animal
Reaction score
Around what time would you like this fan-fic to take place?

r5v3n

Indifferent Member
Reaction score
Around what time would you like this fan-fic to take place?
Well... it would be nice if the main character fights alongside the Swift Brigade until the night Simmons died. Plus a footnote: remember what Walter said about "a soldier still loyal to the Old guard brought the message (Swift's last message; the one about Aurora) to me, at a great risk to his life" it would be neat if the main character is that same soldier because he will have played an important part in Albion's history.

MazeisMaze

Rattus Rattus
Reaction score
Wait! what if the main character is Lieutenant Simmons.

El Mosqueton

Party Animal
Reaction score
Well... it would be nice if the main character fights alongside the Swift Brigade until the night Simmons died. Plus a footnote: remember what Walter said about "a soldier still loyal to the Old guard brought the message (Swift's last message; the one about Aurora) to me, at a great risk to his life" it would be neat if the main character is that same soldier because he will have played an important part in Albion's history.
Like it, but be subttle about it, don't just write "and he delivered that message"
Wait! what if the main character is Lieutenant Simmons.
I was thinking more like a cameo for Simmons, he doesn't seem like protagonist material. Perhaps cmic relief?

r5v3n

Indifferent Member
Reaction score
Like it, but be subttle about it, don't just write "and he delivered that message"

I was thinking more like a cameo for Simmons, he doesn't seem like protagonist material. Perhaps cmic relief?

about the message: it will not be stated that bluntly. rather, it will come as a premonition and/or prediction of what the future holds. It might simply come to him as being 'an important element in the inevitable course of history'.. And about: Simmons, he's not definitely getting the spotlight on this one (comic relief is a good idea, though it has flaws, but I'll look up on it)but he's got a pretty good role in the last parts... still working on that though.

r5v3n

Indifferent Member
Reaction score
eh, It was a dull idea.
hey, no idea is too bad when your making a story. every idea is worth something. so chill up, who knows? Maybe on some future project, your idea might get very very useful..!

r5v3n

Indifferent Member
Reaction score
I've got this idea of a lesser Triumvirate involving the main character, Ben Finn and a follower/student of Garth. The main character is 'summoned' to Mourningwood by the Will-user (Garth's student) after he left his watch on the Prince after that eventful night when Walter brought the Prince to the Mausoleum of the Old Hero King. Gradually they learned that an ancient evil has risen in Mourningwood, commanding a new 'race' of Hollow men which are much like Summoners (in Fable 1 and Fable TLC). They then found out that the one commanding this undead creatures was a neromancer of the Old Kingdom: Hallik. The main character recieved help from a sword (The Avenger) wrought by the Necromancer for a Hero, Wheldon whom he betrayed in the end. Wheldon lent aid to the main character because of the new awakening of Hallik.

El Mosqueton

Party Animal
Reaction score
I've got this idea of a lesser Triumvirate involving the main character, Ben Finn and a follower/student of Garth. The main character is 'summoned' to Mourningwood by the Will-user (Garth's student) after he left his watch on the Prince after that eventful night when Walter brought the Prince to the Mausoleum of the Old Hero King. Gradually they learned that an ancient evil has risen in Mourningwood, commanding a new 'race' of Hollow men which are much like Summoners (in Fable 1 and Fable TLC). They then found out that the one commanding this undead creatures was a neromancer of the Old Kingdom: Hallik. The main character recieved help from a sword (The Avenger) wrought by the Necromancer for a Hero, Wheldon whom he betrayed in the end. Wheldon lent aid to the main character because of the new awakening of Hallik.
I like it except for the Ben Finn part. I don't like main characters as main characters on a fan-fic. Less history, more mystery.

r5v3n

Indifferent Member
Reaction score
I like it except for the Ben Finn part. I don't like main characters as main characters on a fan-fic. Less history, more mystery.
Oh,yeah... Adding Mr. Finn in the story line might disrupt the synchronization with the events occurring in Mourningwood Fort as Finn is a captain and therefore his skills are much needed in the besieged stronghold. That means we are one short of a character. And that is where Andrew comes in. Remember that Demon Door in the Sunset House? Who was that Andrew guy he talked about?
(BTW, I was planning to call the main character Cillian Waldron, and the Will-user, Alatar)

r5v3n

Indifferent Member
Reaction score
Can anyone post any information (geographic, locations, etc.) about Bloodstone?