• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The meaning of Life.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Re: The meaning of Life.

An interesting question - one that has indeed concerned various thinkers on our planet from time to time - as I am on insanely high doses of codeine, haven't been able to walk up the stairs for two weeks now and cannot feel my own feet, my answer may not be all that coherent...but anyways:

For some, the meaning of life is irrelevant; for others it is highly subjective. For me, I dunno - I'm in the Godsquad, so you could say the meaning of my life is to follow God and live life to the full a la New Testament suggestions. As a creature of intelligence, substance, imagination and (right at this minute) obscene amounts of prescription pills, I have the ability to choose my own path and therefore create my own meaning. I see the meaning of life (per person) as the culmination of individual choices and attitudes which shape and direct us and those around us in many varied and different ways - there are many influences that become part of these choices and attitudes and how we deal with these tilts our course towards and away from varying purposes and what we regard as our meaning.

Ultimately, the above has probably made no sense and the pills are kicking in on a major scale...but I tried :lol:

R

Rhadiel

wow....i hate questions like these...i have a question...who here is afraid of death?
i hate thinking about it....my friends told me that for all we know....the whole, Second Life is real....ya know, like when u die....u get reborn as a new person but forget about ur past lives....for all we know...one of us could be a reincarnation of George Washington....

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

Me, I have nothing to fear about death...HOW I die is quite another subject though :lol:

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score

Angel, I'd have to say that when you die is just as "heavy" as how you die, no?

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score

The fountain.
That movie is CRAZY.
Alot about life and death and stuff.

Devalion

Glittering Generality.
Reaction score

I saw that movie with two friends of mine. When it was over, we all had different interpretations of it.

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score

Devalion;90287 said:
I saw that movie with two friends of mine. When it was over, we all had different interpretations of it.

Isn't it crazy? It has a bunch of messages and like you said people get different interpretation.

Albion Knight

Premium
Reaction score

Like many here I have for a long time believed that life has no universal meaning and that each person has there own interpretation of what is meaningful in life. Some blindly accept what has been presented to them while others struggle through the question on an evolutionary journey. I believe that as one passes through a life the meaning changes and is equally valid and contradictory to other times in life. One way of ascertaining what is the meaning of life for you is to ask for what would you be willing to die.

For me that would be my family.

I am not afraid of death I faced that fear during the cold war with the seeming threat of a nuclear attack. OK I was 13 and it seemed very real to me at the time.

I don't know what will happen when I die. I spent years living with a thought that life was meaningless and it was miserable. Gut wrenching soul searingly miserable. Interesting that Viktor Frankl, who wrote "Man's Search for meaning" said that meaninglessness is Hell and purposefulness is Heaven I'm paraphrasing but you get the idea. Becoming a father changed that tremendously for me, but I still have had times of deep emptiness. I saw those with strong spiritual or religious beliefs living purposeful lives and wished it for me as well but I couldn't help but feel they were living in a delusion. That they were either pretending that they knew the truth or that they ignorant. I struggled with the difference between faith and delusion. Just recently I figure that the difference between them was choice. Conscious eye wide open choice to believe in something knowing full well that you can't know for sure is faith. Delusion is, in my mind, when you don't realize the one thing that caused the oracle to call Socrates the wisest of them all. That we know absolutely nothing. Everything we say we know is based on assumptions. Knowing this and still making those assumptions and still believing in god, who or what that may be, is Faith.

D

Darg

Wow, some pretty good ideas coming out of here, but my idea is not as great... or as elaborate... but it's simply that everyone will always have their own ideas of what life means, what we are here for, because that's just in our human nature to disagree. All I believe is that it's what it means to you, not what your friend thinks, not what your family thinks, not what your neighbor thinks and not what anyone else thinks. Simple enough, but hey, I'm no Gandhi.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score

I did some research and I found that the meaning of life is... TO GET PSYCHO

:sly:

R

Raen

I believe the purpose of life is to grow as human biengs and To better mankind. Life should be appreciated more since not many live so long as the rest of us. but thats just my opinion.

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score

I feel there is no meaning to life, unless you make one yourself (for yourself). Otherwise you might as well say, God put us here for such and such reason.

Sunshine Acid

deadhead
Reaction score

There is probably no meaning and everyone looks to deep into it...