• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

They don't make 'em like this no-more...

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
Re: They don't make 'em like this no-more...

cheezMcNASTY;386165 said:
the problem with modern kids shows is Steve Oedekerk

But he made Thumb Wars...

Oh, and my last post was actually wrong. I said Cartoon Network was airing DBZ Kai, but it's actually Nicktoon Network. Not Nickelodeon itself, but Nicktoon Network. It's the channel that plays all of the old Nickelodeon cartoons that aren't being made anymore. You won't have it with basic cable.

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score

Rocko's Modern Life was a great show, I'll never forget the episode where they had a parody of Darth Vader and dropping pianos on Ed Bighead when he tried to golf. :lol:

Aahhh!!! Real Monsters
Rugrats (first 3 seasons)
Ren & Stimpy
TMNT (80s)
Dexter's Lab (the original)
Johnny Bravo
Angry Beavers
Doug
Batman The Animated Series

The list goes on, and I have to admit.. the early seasons of Spongebob Squarepants I found to be pretty hilarious when it was aimed at all ages, now it seems they're only aiming it at just children.

LobotomizedLOVE;385113 said:
Oh great, nostalgia. I absolutely hate it and I hate people who thrive on it. They sit around and ***** and moan about how "cartoons these days aren't as cool as they were back in the 90's!!!" ...well what the hell are you doing sitting around watching cartoons, you're an adult. Honestly, I can't stand people who sit around and complain about that stuff. It's not important, cartoons aren't the defining point of society.
If, however, you were a cartoonist who was nostalgic and was actually going to create a 90's-esque cartoon and complained that stuff nowadays was crap, then you have a right to because you're actually trying to improve the situation. I hate nostalgic people, just saying.

And I hate foolish people who ***** and moan about other people that ***** and moan.

Just stop, you're only making a bigger fool of yourself. If people want to reminisce about the old days then grow up and let them. Of course cartoons are important, they help shape our childhoods, they give us something to talk about, and they make us laugh.. they're as every bit as important as any other entertainment show on TV.

Cartoons are not just for kids, there are cartoons for all ages, cartoons for teens, and cartoons for adults. There is nothing wrong with someone who wants to relive an enjoying part of their life.

JohnDoe;385096 said:
Oldies? Bah, this is an oldie. I suppose someone could try to one-up me by talking about Tom & Jerry, Bugs Bunny, stuff of that nature except most of those were done over sixty years ago.

Yogi Bear, Space Ghost, Looney Tunes, Birdman, Huckleberry Hound, Top Cat etc... indeed, those are actual oldies and damn good ones too.

Firis;385123 said:
I am nostalgic to the eighties, and I wasn't even born there, those movies, hair bands and old fashion games were king.

I miss being a kid in the 80s, great cartoons, great movies, great music.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score

Tsuyu;386170 said:
Kung Pow! Enter the fist is the best movie ever.

You do realize it is made out to be terrible, right? It is not supposed to be a serious movie.

yes, but just because a movie is purposefully bad doesn't make it good, does it?

i'll admit i loved that movie in the 3rd grade, but come on...seriously? i can't stand glancing at the cover now!

any bad kids show that Oedekerk isn't making himself is just trying to copy his humor and making it even worse.

list of shows i site to my point: chimp chomp (or whatever it's called), camp lazlo, penguins of madagascar, total drama island, jimmy neutron, my gym partners a monkey, tak. those are just off the top of my head, but they all establish entertaining kids with obnoxious colors, wierd voices, and being generally stupid.

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score

To add to my original post, anyone here remember DuckTales, Darkwing Duck, TaleSpin, Bonkers, etc?

Or even the Dudley Do-Right cartoon?

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score

Gikoku Harakami;386486 said:
To add to my original post, anyone here remember DuckTales, Darkwing Duck, TaleSpin, Bonkers, etc?

duck tales is classic here. i still own the movie on VHS! :D

dudly do-right i remember seeing commercials for, but never actually watched.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score

Not the cartoons, but I remember having the first two on my NES. :thumbsup:

Hermit

Boy next door
Reaction score

DUCKTALES

WOOO-OOOOO

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score

I remember Darkwing Duck. For some reason there was a huge controversy in Sweden with it being too violent. I think they even banned it. Considering that I pride myself on Sweden being very liberal and free when it comes to stuff like this, it just felt really surreal.

Zjuggernaut

Just plain talented!
Reaction score

TRA Rotid;385090 said:
Another good one on CN is the one where forgotten imaginary monsters are in an orphanage or something... can`t remember the name.

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends.

CN isn't what it used to be. Neithers Nickelodeon or Boomerang.

Silent420

Proud Progressive
Premium
Reaction score

Zjuggernaut;386960 said:
Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends.

CN isn't what it used to be. Neithers Nickelodeon or Boomerang.

Yeah, I don't really watch TV anymore.. I love some of the stuff on History, Discovery etc, but the shows I like are hardly ever on when I watch it. Might as well just look em up on teh intermahnet.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

Every single one of those :wub:

We've got Duck Tales the movie on DVD - Steve wanted it for his birthday one year for sentimental reasons and it's awesome :D

Just recently purchased Button Moon and will be getting Raggy Dolls when it gets released - currently eyeing up several copies of Pingu (before it got all politically correct and therefore utterly crap). They banned Pingu Runs Away in the UK in 2005 because Pingu gets smacked for throwing his food in his mum's face and then pulling the entire family meal onto the floor in a temper. Apparently, the show was "abusive" - in my view, Pingu wasn't hit hard enough...

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score

I hated Pingu when I first saw it, but started to really enjoy it.

Another epic show is Moomin (I have only seen the Japanese-Finnish one). I haven`t read the books yet, but I´ve heard from many trusted sources that they kick ass too.