• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Things That Bothered Me..(I Loved The Game)

Warpedhero

Warped Hero
Reaction score
Things That Bothered Me..(I Loved The Game)

As you probably know, I am a fan of all the Fable games, but there are still quite a few oddities that pester me as I play through the games time after time.

Here's my list of Fable II's shortcomings:

1. There are only two travel options: Walking and the Stagecoach.

However, the Stagecoach magically transported you to the area of your choice instead of actually showing you being driven in a Stagecoach.

I would like to see travel expanded in the upcoming Fables.

Imagine a Fable where there are many ways to reach your destination:
Horses, ships, rowboats, carriages, and hot air balloons.

It would make the game more fun, plus, danger could be included:
-Your ship could spring a hole, or be raided by pirates
-Your carriage could wreck on a bumpy road
-Your balloon could be shot down by Bandits
The possibilities are endless.

2. There is a very small selection of clothing, even compared to Fable I.

The option of using dyes on clothing is a good idea, but only certain parts of the outfits could be manipulated in this manner.

For example, the Noble Gent's Shirt had a blue bowtie. I was able to dye every other part of the outfit any color that was available, but, no matter how good the rest of the outfit looks, there's still that blue bowtie that clashes with the rest of the outfit.

Also, there was no way of wearing any of the jewelry in the game.

It would be nice if the Hero/Heroine could wear some sort of jewelry, especially wedding bands, which could signify that the Hero/Heroine was married; in Fable II, no matter if you were married or not, people still treated you as if you were single, as opposed to Fable I, where people on occasion mentioned your family.

One final note on this topic:

The incomplete outfits really bothered me during Fable II.

For example, when I found the Bandit shirt, bandana, skull wrap, and trousers, I searched every shop for the boots and gloves, only to be informed I would have to purchase Knothole Island to obtain these items.

I have no problem purchasing extra content, however, I think it would be more fair to the player for the developers to include only complete outfits in the standard edition of the game; if they want to add more outfits for DLC, that's fine, but don't give me an Assassin Coat with no other clothing in the game to match it. No offense, but I don't like having to piece together outfits from scratch.

3. There is no option to swim underwater.

If there was, imagine the possibilities:

-Diving could be expanded into a sort of underwater treasure hunt
-Underwater caves could be reached
-Drowning people could be saved by the Hero/Heroine

Just an idea.

4. I have mentioned this about Fable I as well;
There are certain characters which the Hero/Heroine cannot be romantically involved with no matter how hard they try.

How many of you wanted to marry Hammer at a point? Or have a trist with Theresa? Who made the rule that main characters are not allowed romantic involvement with each other?

Imagine if the Hero of Bower Lake and Hammer were married.

They have a rich history already, which would grow and eventually, the child would show the attributes of each parent.

On that note,

5. The whole marriage/family aspect of Fable is underdeveloped. Other than your wife/husband offering you a present, praising you, or informing you of new arrivals, there is no realistic dialogue between partners.

I would like to see the wife/husband's dialogue expanded to include discussion with the Hero/Heroine on a day to day basis.

As mentioned by other posters in other threads, I too would like to see children grow old during the course of the game. The wife/husband should eventually grow old and die, while the children should leave their parents' home at a certain point.

6. There is a lack of depth in the villagers.

Also, there is a lack of variety. It seems as if one in five villagers look exactly the same, with only slight differences. One in five villagers seem to wear the exact same clothing. Also, everyone seems to be doing nothing.

Remember when Peter Monyleaux promised that Fable II would be much more realistic than Fable I? He even said that the detail of Fable II would show people waiting in breadlines, etc.

What happened to those ideas? Were they abandoned last minute?

Thankfully, Fable III seems to expand upon the villagers and I am very pleased to hear that Fable III will contain over 47 hours of recorded dialogue.

7. My final complaint, (though I may have unconsciously acquired this taste from Elder Scrolls: Oblivion), is that you are not able to loot bodies or pick pockets, or even locks for that matter.

The Picklocking Skill was included in the first Fable, and I would like to see it return in subsequent Fables. It was quite useful for the proud rogue who wanted to make use of his stealth on occasion.

Pickpocketing would be a valuable skill, and rare items could be obtained in this way.

Finally, looting bodies would allow you to take any personal items from corpses, including clothing, weapons, and money.

I always wanted to kill a Spire Guard and take his mask, or shoot Reaver and acquire his expensive armor and Dragonstomper .48.

Reaction score
Re: Things That Bothered Me..(I Loved The Game)

1: I always thought that having a port town (Bloodstone) and having a ship for one quest was silly, we should be able to use it. I also thought that horseback riding would be cool.

2: Yeah, parts that you can't dye are irritating.

3: Underwater dungeons FTW!

4: I would try and marry Reaver on my girl account, and on my boy one, Theresa

5+6: I would HATE it when I married someone, divorced/killed them, only to marry someone who looks exactly identical. I know lionhead can't make so many unique villagers, but in each town theres about 4 of each gender!

7: I have always wanted guard clothes, or as you said, the spire guard mask.

Ryu hayabusa

Assassin
Reaction score
Re: Things That Bothered Me..(I Loved The Game)

You have to understand, Fable seems a lot more based around the story then weapons and clothing. All though it would be nice for more I think most people are satisfied with the game just because the story line.

And if you buy the DLC you get some more clothing, and its pretty cool. What I did after I beat the game is I would dress my guy up as other video game characters.