• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Thoughts on Fable 3's Economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marltone

Reaction score
Thoughts on Fable 3's Economy.

I have been thinking about how you can allow another hero to come and wander around in your world. I presume that they can purchase things there, but it's possible they won't be allowed to.

Assuming visiting heroes can buy and sell in your world what will that mean for Fable 3's economy? Will trading certain items be frowned upon by NPC's? Since there are morphing weapons, what will that mean for the worth of gold when selling these weapons? If you could just trade them to a computer for a comparable price in another person's world, then what value will gold have in online play? Will Fable 3's economy be entirely weapon/item based? This is opening up a huge can of worms and I'M FREAKING OUT.

Evil Pakman

Reaction score
Re: Thoughts on Fable 3's Economy.

jesus christ man just wait till release day and find out! we dont ****ing know yet

Reaction score

Marltone;409307 said:
I have been thinking about how you can allow another hero to come and wander around in your world. I presume that they can purchase things there, but it's possible they won't be allowed to.

Assuming visiting heroes can buy and sell in your world what will that mean for Fable 3's economy? Will trading certain items be frowned upon by NPC's? Since there are morphing weapons, what will that mean for the worth of gold when selling these weapons? If you could just trade them to a computer for a comparable price in another person's world, then what value will gold have in online play? Will Fable 3's economy be entirely weapon/item based? This is opening up a huge can of worms and I'M FREAKING OUT.

Im sure it'll be fine.

PhilistineEars

yep, definite Lurker
Premium
Reaction score

Evil Pakman;409372 said:
jesus christ man just wait till release day and find out! we dont ****ing know yet

Of course no one knows for certain about anything at this point other than Fable 3 exists. This website was created, in part, to enjoy speculation and imagination of other Fable enthusiasts. The majority of posts on here deal in the theoretical and the "wouldn't it be cool if..." or the "what would you like to see in..." or any number of undetermined variables that make this game enjoyable. Hell, half the fun of Fable is imagining what could be on sites like this.

So please, before you embarrass yourself acting like a pleb, take a minute and ask yourself why you're here before posting grammatical detritus such as that.

Back to the topic... I for one was disappointed with F2's economy. The overall execution was a mile wide and an inch deep if you ask me. They put so much into buying houses, upgrading them, selling or renting them but had no true creative function with it. The gold system completely collapsed (partly due to the exploits) but also because prices were not affected by inflation or other real market factors. You could raise prices and the only discernible result was the townspeople complaining. People did not move out, become destitute, crime did not go up/down etc.

The trade system was a step in the right direction but did not really play into the economy the way some thought it would. It's too late to change anything now in so far as the development of F3 but they should really look into an economic model like SimCity4. I fear that things have slid too much to the middle though and the depth people are looking for has slowly eroded away into the casual gamers' comfort zone (e.g. simple premise, simple play, uncomplicated economies, combat, etc.)

Recycled Human

Reaction score

PhilistineEars said:
Of course no one knows for certain about anything at this point other than Fable 3 exists. This website was created, in part, to enjoy speculation and imagination of other Fable enthusiasts. The majority of posts on here deal in the theoretical and the "wouldn't it be cool if..." or the "what would you like to see in..." or any number of undetermined variables that make this game enjoyable. Hell, half the fun of Fable is imagining what could be on sites like this.

So please, before you embarrass yourself acting like a pleb, take a minute and ask yourself why you're here before posting grammatical detritus such as that.
Nicely handled.

As for the economy I'm with Phil here. It wouldn't be terribly hard for them to have included a little more than 'buy stuff, build stuff and improve houses' to establish the economy. I wanted to have a little fed control by manipulating rent. I wanted to see better items for five star buildings (as it stands the items are a little better but not by much especially when the dlc makes buying most things useless, who wants a master flintlock pistol with 2 augment slots when you can get one with four. Who wants the basic augments when you can get dual augments elsewhere).

But what I really would have liked would be to see stores crop up. Say you establish a 4 star plus economy, why doesn't that equate to more shopping experiences? In some cases it seems to mean more traveling salesmen but why not physical buildings?

As for trade making gold useless, I feel that gold was already useless thanks to the ability to buy property without consequence. Imagine if you got a 'store owners' alert similar to your 'family' alert. Shop got burned down, was the victim of a robbery, employees becoming disgruntled and threatening to leave. All of that would have limited your ability to buy everything and collect beaucoup bucks for just sitting around. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that money is easy in fable, but I wouldn't worry about it effecting the economy.

Bluedrake

Reaction score

Recycled Human;409462 said:
As for trade making gold useless, I feel that gold was already useless thanks to the ability to buy property without consequence. Imagine if you got a 'store owners' alert similar to your 'family' alert. Shop got burned down, was the victim of a robbery, employees becoming disgruntled and threatening to leave. All of that would have limited your ability to buy everything and collect beaucoup bucks for just sitting around. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that money is easy in fable, but I wouldn't worry about it effecting the economy.

That would have added alot of depth to the game. Not to mention a ton of quests.

One thing that annoyed me with the economy was the shops' inventory. Only one item of each was a really cheap design decision.

Come to think of it, the economy in the Fable series never made much sense. In TLC if you bought the maximum of a given item, the store would keep less and less each time. If I had a regular customer who always bought all my stock, I'd stock more, not less. (production issues non-withstanding)

They need to find a balance between a fairly realistic economy without turning the game into business simulator (SimCity and co. do that well enough.)

The whole house decoration thing was pointless. There was only one of each item per star level, so we pretty much had to keep everything at the same star level to keep it matching. Not to mention how tedious it was to walk to each item individually to switch them.

TLC handled this much better: buy a house, click new sign to improve decorations. Unless there is more than one five-star item for each pieve of furniture, any other system serves no purpose.

Recycled Human

Reaction score

Just as you say, the added tedium of having to walk to each item was painful and what's worse, if you had several items near each other you had to struggle to select which one you wanted to change.

There are several chairs in my house that I can't even get to! (nice house)

But I can say that I'm very interested in finding out more about the 'business partners' thing that has been hinted at. Wouldn't their be a need for some sort of vastly improved economy and storefront manipulation if you can go into business with your co op partner? I should hope so!

Devil Keyz

Tha Producer From Hell
Reaction score

i hope the money means something like bacc in the morrowind days lol

Marltone

Reaction score

I'm hoping that business partners has something to do with profits made between both games on certain enterprises. Not necessarily something that only happens when you're both in one game.

Status
Not open for further replies.