• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

To not suck, Fable 2 needs to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Ulicus

To not suck, Fable 2 needs to...

Sort the aging system out

If other characters don't age with you, then it shouldn't be included. Was I the only person who thought that aging 0.7 years per ability increase was far too fast? When first introduced to the concept, back when it was still 'Project Ego', the idea was that the story would take the entire life of the main character, and that aging would be an integral part of it. Turning it into something superficial that does nothing but make your character look worse was probably the worst thing they could have done.

What's worse is that for the purposes of the story, you're still a "boy" and "child" in the eyes of characters like Maze and the Guildmaster... which doesn't really sit well with me if I look like I'm 65. Neither does being older than my sister, or for that matter, my mother.

Ideally, in Fable 2 - if aging is included, it will either be *VERY* slowly done in real time, with the rest of the world growing with you. Or it will come in big leaps, much like at the beginning of Fable, and be directly related to the plot.

You'd complete the portion of the story that takes place during your twenties for example, then be asked if you want to "go ahead to your thirties" and uncover the next portion of the plot. This would also be a good way to have your renown increase, since being able to become "Legendary" through killing hobbes over and over again in the hobbe cave (I was bored) seemed somewhat ridiculous to me. Renown should be gained through quests and trophies alone.

If they *do* carry on with the stupid "age per ability increase", then it should be lowered to something like 0.2 years per increase.

Dilute the relation between Attributes/Alignment and Appearance, or at least make it make more sense

Also bugged me. If I want to be super quick with a blade, have great skill with a bow and also be able to sneak around (I.E. be an assassin), why do I have to be an idiotic looking giant? How is that going to benefit the 'assassin' archetype I'm playing to? Same goes for strength, whilst I feel entitled to spend the experience I've earnt, I often HAVE to hold back from maxing out my strength stats because I don't WANT to look like a ridiculously beefed up cretin with tree trunk arms, I prefer the 'toned' look. And Will... well, the less said about that the better.

It would be better if increasing your attributes *unlocked* appearances further down the line. So, if you maxed out all your Will for example, you'd be able to choose an appearance anywhere *between* "no runes, no glowy eyes and no glowy hands" to "full maxed out runes, glowy eyes and glowy hands". With Skill, you'd be able to max it all out and CHOOSE a height between maximum and minimum, and then the same with strength and muscles.

Now, you may think that spoils the "natural progression" that Fable is supposed to offer, but they already threw that out of the window when they started talking about using EXP, as opposed to just "getting stronger by using your sword a lot", and I'd prefer to be able to tailor my hero exactly to my preferences.

Same goes for alignment. If I want to be good, I don't necessarily want butterflies flying around me and blond hair. Whilst being a caricature is fun sometimes, I don't always want to be one.

Remove the Hero Save

Speaks for itself. Exploit central.

Ideally, the only quests you'd be able to "try again", would be those directly related to the storyline. If you messed up a quest like the "Hobbe Cave Rescue" for example, then it would be a black mark on your Hero's record - you would't just keep doing it until you succeeded. I mean, obviously, if you'd saved beforehand then you could try to redo it - but you wouldn't be forced to by the game.

Give us a bigger world to explore, with free roaming

I'm not too bummed about the size of Fable's world, or the railtracks that it forces you to walk on... it was only an Xbox game after all, but ideally the sequel would be a lot grander in terms of the world it allows you to explore and it would let you go anywhere IN it.

Be set in a different world to the one Albion exists in, and get rid of the Heroes Guild, because it's stupid and makes no sense

The Heroes Guild was ridiculous.

"We don't care if you're good or evil, we just want you to do really impressive things"

First, that destroys any sense of verisimilitude
[FONT=&quot] that the world might have had otherwise. Second, it's a cheap way of trying to cover up flaws in the gameplay. Namely, the "go to the guild to pick up quests" system. Third, that's not the way things play out in the story - think about if you're evil and you betray the Guildmaster at the end of TLC, why the hell are you a disappointment? You're doing exactly what the amoral guild supposedly wants you to, "Great Things".

It completely trivialises the differences between good and evil.

If the Heroes Guild *is* included, it should be retconned so that it doesn't condone evil activity and only gives good quests. Evil characters should be able to pick up quests from other sources.

Plus, evil 'Heroes', should be called Villains.

---
Ok, I think I'm done... after writing a lot more than I set out to. If you read all of that, I hope it wasn't too boring.

[/FONT]

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Re: To not suck, Fable 2 needs to...

Some interesting ideas you have there, can tell you have put alot of thought into them and i respect that.

K

Kato Si

I agree that aging every time you level up sucks, and removing that would be awsome. But the rest of you ideas I'm either in disagreement or not sure of.

C

Crazyarms

I think the thing that bugged me the most about that is that you CAN get some evil quests at the Guild. Other than that i agree with Kato.

K

Kato Si

Crazyarms said:
I think the thing that bugged me the most about that is that you CAN get some evil quests at the Guild. Other than that i agree with Kato.

There should be a Villains Guild.

C

Crazyarms

Yeah, but then which one would you start at when your a child?

U

Ulicus

That would be pretty cool actually, a competing villains guild that you could accept quests from... though I'd assume you'd train as a boy at the Heroes Guild and then betray them down the line.

On a side note, I've changed my mind about the sequel not being set in Albion because aside from the 'amoral' Heroes Guild nonsense, I do quite like the game world (even though northern accents tend to **** me off). Hopefully it will be a prequel, since the Oracle made it clear that until Weaver and Maze had their little revolution, the Guild only gave good quests. Preferably have the main character be part of 'the Bloodline' as well, though don't have the story revolve around it...

Thing is, I wouldn't have minded the 'amoral' Heroes Guild stuff if it had been handled better, or if you could have run into some other evil heroes... I mean... gahhh... it's one thing to say "People should have the freedom to act how they wish", but it's entirely another to say, "We're going to train you to become an elite fighting and spellcasting machine and we don't care if you use your powers responsibly or not".

Oh, and forgot the last point - "To not suck, Fable 2 needs to... let you marry Briar Rose! Goddamit! Even if she's not in the game..." my hero felt cheated. But yeah, Fable 2 should let you marry other heroes - maybe even get rid of the 'generic wives' that Fable 1 offered entirely, and instead offer up a more 'Harvest Moon' style thing...

That would work better if they impliment children too. Since if you only had a choice of like five (very different) wives, they could ensure that if you had a kid with "Wife A", the kid would look like a cross between your hero and her.

So, yeah, scratch the "Not Albion" thing I said earlier. It's a pretty cool world. The rest of it stands though - I cannot, CANNOT stand those crappy blue Will runes that end up covering your body,yet I love spellcasting, and I hate being twice as tall as almost everything else in the game, yet I *want* to max out all my Skill stuff.... besides, it looks stupid in certain cutscenes, since the camera focuses on where it *thinks* your head is, only to find your torso instead...

As for alignment, I naturally play good, but I'd prefer to keep the dark hair and skip past the halo and butterfly effect... as it stands I have keep making trips to the temple of Skorm to keep my alignment in the middle ground...

And aging, well, aging wouldn't be so bad in Fable if the "Gift of Youth" at the Temples could be obtained over and over again (yeah, you can exploit some quests to get the bonus over and over... but... you shouldn't HAVE to). Actually, I'm surprised they didn't include that in lost chapters, since the whole aging business annoyed a lot of people when it was released the first time around.

Gah, wrote too much again... (I'd intended to say: "A villains guild would be cool")

S

Skorm_Knight

Very interesting points. Also, they seriously need to get rid of or change the Summon will. When upgrading it, instead of it lasting longer, they should have included a better creature with each upgrade i.e. wasp-->Hobbe--->balverine----->troll

C

Crazyarms

Well we all agreed in a different thread that Summon was the most useless spell in the game.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Skorm_Knight said:
Very interesting points. Also, they seriously need to get rid of or change the Summon will. When upgrading it, instead of it lasting longer, they should have included a better creature with each upgrade i.e. wasp-->Hobbe--->balverine----->troll

Not a bad idea in a way.

Crazyarms said:
Well we all agreed in a different thread that Summon was the most useless spell in the game.

Yeah for sure.

M

moneymaker821

i understand the aging and free roam dilemmas but it would be stupid not to have a heroes guild. i think you should be able to go to villain or heroes guild, with a choice. you should be able to roam freely
and stuff, but you say to remove some of the game's top qualities, not cool.
you should be able to hold more types of weapons and have more mobility( like jumping and slitting throats). k you speak mostly opinions.

Seigfreid

The Guardkiller
Reaction score

I have to partially agree with money, being able to sit and other movements like that would be cool. And if you were to build up your skill stats enough, you should be given the ability to do stealth kills and make yourself a true assassin.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Seigfried said:
I have to partially agree with money, being able to sit and other movements like that would be cool. And if you were to build up your skill stats enough, you should be given the ability to do stealth kills and make yourself a true assassin.

Yeah stealth kills or context sensitive kills would be good, near a cliff etc you push them or near a tree to stab them into the tree, arrows sticking in people properly and maybe sticking people to things stuff like that.

M

moneymaker821

another thing that ****es me off is how easy it is to kill bosses, and how hitting people like the guild master or the guy who posts the fist fighter club never die

M

moneymaker821

plus when ur havin sex in a shack or an elevated house it should show an outside view of the house with shadows and the house starts to shake:noexpression:

T

TheBeast

Ulicus said:
Be set in a different world to the one Albion exists in, and get rid of the Heroes Guild, because it's stupid and makes no sense

The Heroes Guild was ridiculous.

"We don't care if you're good or evil, we just want you to do really impressive things"

First, that destroys any sense of verisimilitude
[FONT=&quot]that the world might have had otherwise. Second, it's a cheap way of trying to cover up flaws in the gameplay. Namely, the "go to the guild to pick up quests" system. Third, that's not the way things play out in the story - think about if you're evil and you betray the Guildmaster at the end of TLC, why the hell are you a disappointment? You're doing exactly what the amoral guild supposedly wants you to, "Great Things".

It completely trivialises the differences between good and evil.

If the Heroes Guild *is* included, it should be retconned so that it doesn't condone evil activity and only gives good quests. Evil characters should be able to pick up quests from other sources.

Plus, evil 'Heroes', should be called Villains.

---
Ok, I think I'm done... after writing a lot more than I set out to. If you read all of that, I hope it wasn't too boring.

[/FONT]

ok well i think that the heros guild sould stay. but i do agree that the whole " good hero, evil hero" was kinda weird.... so i say, like i have seen people commenting on, there sould be more then one guild. some one also said u sould start at a heros guild then betray them and go to a villans guild. but what if your father or mother or some one would teach you when you are a kid. then you would go off to a guild and could chose witch one u would like.

T

TheBeast

Skorm_Knight said:

man i love useing summon. u guys r nuts and if u could summon a troll i dont think i would be usefull cause every time it throws a rock i could hit you and they cant move around.

L

lolz america

i wish that u woulndnt turn so ugly when u age.

MOOOOOOOOOOO

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

lolz america said:
i wish that u woulndnt turn so ugly when u age.

MOOOOOOOOOOO

Thats life im afraid ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.