• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ubisoft finally scrap always on DRM

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
ubisoft-logo.jpg
After all the negativity and bad press Ubisoft have finally dropped their controversial 'Always on' DRM. In which a constant connection was required to the Internet. So if you were to lose your connection the game would automatically shut down, often taking your progress with it. This is now no more Ubisoft claims in its press release:

Stephanie Perotti, Ubisoft's worldwide director for online games
We have listened to feedback, and since June last year our policy for all of PC games is that we only require a one-time online activation when you first install the game, and from then you are free to play the game offline. Once activated, the game can be installed as many times as the owner wishes. One activation will be all that's required for the life of the game.
Rumours are that Ubisoft are phasing out boxed games on PC altogether and further pushing its U-Play service

Daniel Ray

The Wizard From The East
Reaction score
The DRM has been missing in new releases for a while. I was expecting this announcement.

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
I don't know how they thought it would be a good idea in the first damn place. Good riddance.

L0ki

The Six Gun Caballero
Reaction score
It's funny that Battle.Net 2 does the same damn thing, but Blizzard is doing fine. Lol.

Daniel Ray

The Wizard From The East
Reaction score
It's funny that Battle.Net 2 does the same damn thing, but Blizzard is doing fine. Lol.

Most of Blizzard's games actually have online features, like the multiplayer in Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2. People complained about Ubisoft's DRM because it required you to play OFFLINE games ONLINE. Imagine wanting to play Assassin's Creed's single player campaign but you need internet to play it.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Rumours are that Ubisoft are phasing out boxed games on PC altogether and further pushing its U-Play service

I don't know what rustles my jimmies the most: idiotic DRM features or unnecessary processes hogging my PCs resources in the form of a Steam-like applications.

Long gone are the days when you could just buy a game in the store, unbox it, install it and play it. At the most you had to enter a serial key, tops.

A simpler time. A better time.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I don't know what rustles my jimmies the most: idiotic DRM features or unnecessary processes hogging my PCs resources in the form of a Steam-like applications.

Long gone are the days when you could just buy a game in the store, unbox it, install it and play it. At the most you had to enter a serial key, tops.

A simpler time. A better time.

I know the feeling, my Hard Drive is being eaten up by having to download games that when installed from discs are usually 10-15Gb but to download can be 25GB+.

L0ki

The Six Gun Caballero
Reaction score
Most of Blizzard's games actually have online features, like the multiplayer in Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2. People complained about Ubisoft's DRM because it required you to play OFFLINE games ONLINE. Imagine wanting to play Assassin's Creed's single player campaign but you need internet to play it.

Yeah, but I still think just because it has a Multiplayer OPTION or MODE, it doesn't mean it needs to have constant internet connection for Single Player; Where SC2 and D3 do.

Daniel Ray

The Wizard From The East
Reaction score
Yeah, but I still think just because it has a Multiplayer OPTION or MODE, it doesn't mean it needs to have constant internet connection for Single Player; Where SC2 and D3 do.

From what I heard, you require internet connection for Diablo 3 because of its online cash auction system, to prevent people from hacking in items and selling them on the auction. So all inventory is saved onto the servers.

I'm not sure about SC2, though. There's that offline mode, but I've never tried it, and apparently some can't access it.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
Ye Diablo 3 requires a log in. It's essentially a multiplayer game (and it was meant to be that way) with a singleplayer option.

Daniel Ray

The Wizard From The East
Reaction score
Well that's the hard truth that many Diablo fans can't cope with and try with all their might and belief to make a forcibly single-player game out of Diablo 3 - when the game wasn't designed to be offline from it's very concept and roots.

Well, not roots, really... The first two Diablos were single player through and through. However, it can be said that, yes, Diablo 3 was designed with multiplayer at its heart. What with its rogue-like loot system, the auction system is a big deal.